VW T5/6 - Views (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Hi all, we currently have a 7-5 metre Coachbuild MH, and to cut a long story short, we are planning on moving, where parking it may be an issue, so are considering a PVC. Not only will this be shorter, but also a bit narrower.
So, have looked at several makes, and have to say the Auto-Trail V-Line ticks a lot of boxes. However, have always had a passion about VW's. The T5/T6's look very nice.
Has anyone had any experience with VW's? The one issue that does concern us is the of lack of bathroom and toilet, very few seem to have them. This is where the V-Line seems to have the edge.
Anybody want to sell the VW to me over the Fiat Ducato?
Any advice/views both positive and negative would be much appreciated.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
we considered everything from a coach built to a PVC and a T5/6 last year.
we decided a coach built was too big for our drive (and our needs) and a T5/6 conversion was expensive for what you got and too small for us for anything but a weekend away - certainly not for a week+ or a couple of weeks in the alps.
For us a Globecar Globestar 600L revolution PVC was the sweet spot - a 6m long, 2mwide Ducato PVC conversion - big enough to have a fixed bed, a compact, but proper galley heads and lounge bit small enough to fit our driveway and needs.

the prospect of no heads or shower on the T5 and a fold down bed was a deal breaker for us. though many are and will be happy with a T5

everything is a compromise - its what you can compromise with that is the key

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
we considered everything from a coach built to a PVC and a T5/6 last year.
we decided a coach built was too big for our drive (and our needs) and a T5/6 conversion was expensive for what you got too small for anything but a weekend away - certainly not for a week+ or a couple of weeks in the alps.
For us a Globecar Globestar 600L revolution PVC was the sweet spot - a 6m long, 2mwide Ducato PVC conversion - big enough to have a fixed bed, a compact, but proper galley heads and lounge bit small enough to fit our driveway and needs.

the prospect of no heads or shower on the T5 and a fold down bed was a deal breaker for us. though many are and will be happy with a T5

everything is a comprimise - its what you can comprimise with that is the key
If your priority is space and luxury items then maybe the T5/6 is not for you but I have had a few T5 pop-tops and absolutely loved them all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
If your priority is space and luxury items then maybe the T5/6 is not for you but I have had a few T5 pop-tops and absolutely loved them all.
yip, they have a place in the market... but that was just not for us.... same way a 7.5m coach built wouldn’t work either - its the old conundrum of you want a T5 on the road and parked in the drive, but a 7.5m when parked up.
there is no right and wrong answer but each size comes with pro’s and con’s - some features which are a red line for one couple are negotiable for another couple...

good luck with your choice...

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2008
Churston Ferrers Brixham
Funster No
MH
A & c class, now PVC
Exp
Since 2002
We had a Rapido 999m, downsized to a Burstner Travel Van and then to a T5 hightop, loved the size of T5 and the ride
but after 2 outings found it was just too small to live in for a couple of months. We currently have a Autograil V line
600 sport and find it ideal. we also have a medium sized dog and find we have plenty of room. We have increased our
vehicle weight from 3500kg to 3850kg (paper exercise only) as we have two heavy electric bikes.. We have fitted tow bar to carry bike rack on.
We think the T5/6 are ideal for the younger generation but feel for us the V line is just right.

Upvote 0
Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
Nigel

I have had VW's for over 30 years, starting off with a T2 Devon Eurovette which I had for 7 years. This was replaced with a T3 Autohomes Kamper which we had for 17 years. I replaced this with a self converted T4 which I have had for 8 years. All my 3 VW's had elevating roofs. The pluses are that they will go anywhere a car will go and the newer ones are very nice to drive. The minuses are that there isn't much cupboard space, so bags need to keep being moved around. The Rock and roll beds being dual function do neither really well. The seat isn't that comfortable for travelling or lounging, and the bed isn't that comfortable (although a mattres topper improves it significantly, but is something else to store). No bathroom in any, just a porta potti in the cupboard.

We thought long and hard about what our next van would be, we loved the go anywhere ability of the VW, but my wife really wanted a fitted toilet. We did seriously consider a Middlesex Motorhomes Matrix conversion (Link Removed) which has the option of replacing the wardrobe with a built in toilet. The other thing we found tiring was the making of the bed every night and putting it away in the morning.

We therefore decided to get something a little bigger and ordered a new Carthago Malibu (6m PVC conversion) at the NEC in October last year. We picked it up in April this year and have found it much more relaxing when touring around. It's not quite go anywhere like the VW's, but we are getting used to the greater living space and fixed bed. I still have my T4, but we are camping in it less and less now (although my daughter and son in law are beginning to use it), but it does get used for days out - the best of both worlds for us.

Cheers

Trevor

Upvote 0

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
My son had a T5. It was without doubt the worst vehicle the family has ever owned. If it could go wrong or break, it did. We had to have it resprayed in order to sell it as it was rotting away before our eyes. The next worst vehicle the family has owned is another VW. A Passat that was almost as bad. If only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen! Ha. Do not get a VW.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We considered a T5/T6 for the various positive the reasons mentioned - BUT, we determined it was a step too far!

So from a 6m coachbuilt (2.3m wide) we have changed to a 6.4m van conversion (2.05m wide) - Rapido V62.

I can't believe the difference it's made to the driving pleasure to have a narrower vehicle. You wouldn't think one foot less wide - ie 6 inches each side - would make much difference, but by heck it does.

And it seems to cruise admirably at higher speeds too, when required. Perfectly happy at 75mph on the French autoroutes - think white van man...

Oh and the pvc is really comfy inside, with a perfect fixed single bed arrangement in the back.

Good luck whatever you decide to go for.

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I would support what both @Treeeev & @mikebeaches have said. We had a T4 (a Milo from Middlesex Motorhomes, as it happens) & loved it. The biggest advantage being that it would go anywhere you could go in a car. In our case, the need to have an electric wheelchair inside the van & make the bed up at the same time is what forced us to move to a Globecar Campscout, which is very similar in layout to Mike's Rapido V62.

We miss the 'go anywhere' ability (actually, it's the 'park anywhere' rather than 'go anywhere' that's the problem), but of course love the other advantages the extra space brings. We did a six week trip earlier this year that I'm sure we wouldn't have done in the T4 - or not without faffing around with awnings or tents for extra space, which equally imposes restrictions on where you can stop.

Anything is a compromise, but the panel van conversion is the best compromise for our particular needs. Our requirements are not typical though - not everyone needs to factor in a wheelchair.

Upvote 0

Weimarunner

Free Member
Nov 5, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit Leisuredrive
Exp
I posted this on the C&C forum, see below -

I think that manufacturers old reputations still echo on. For instance most of us wouldn't of touched a French motor from yesteryear with a bargepole but now they're a different beast.

When I first started looking at campervans I asked two close friends about VW's engineering. One friend owns a VW dealership and the other owns a VW service & repair centre.

I asked "is VW's engineering so much better than fords, citroens etc that it justifies the VW price point".

My dealership mate replied " that the VW is a fine bit of engineering which has always had a great reputation. Years ago it was head and heels better than your Fords and Citroens but now there's nothing in it. However VW are happy to hold on to the reputation that they're better than the others and will charge a premium for this reputation".

Same question to the VW engineer, his reply - if you buy a VW transporter / camper you're paying a club premium, there's a bit of a cult following for them. They're no better or no worse than anything else out there, I enjoy working on them because I know my way around them. VW boast that their vans drive like a car and that's because they're built like a car, the doors shut nicer, the cabs are nice and quiet, they're more refined, but engine wise they have the same issues as any other modern engine. It all comes down to how they're driven and serviced".

Just thought it interesting. Incidently I opted for a transit camper, I bought a 2007 model Leisuredrive which cost me £14K. I also looked into a 2007 VW Leisuredrive conversion which was priced at £24,999 !!!!

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
We've had a Toyota Granvia Wellhouse conversion for 4 yrs. Bought it because it was cheaper and had a better spec than older VW's - air con, automatic, elec mirrors airbags, etc despite being 16 yr old when we got it (but a new conversion). It is small but we moved up from a tent-as others have said it does depend on priorities. We have been away for weeks at a time with three bikes and an inflatable canoe. Now our daughter is older (10) it is getting more of a squash so may upgrade to a small coachbuilt.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back