Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
Evening all,

Stilll looking ... :RollEyes: and can't decide:Doh:

Are there any companies out there that convert VW hi top vans Crafter or such like. Looking for alternatives to the usual. Not looking at little campers,
or pop-tops more a long wheel based van.

Cheers
2dogs

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, build your own . what do you want ? give me a pm . get down here and i can advise show you different ideas. built loads . all advise given free. you may not think you can do it but you can . build just what you want .

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi go see /speak to Alan :thumb:
If you have deep pockets see the Equinox from http://www.rsmotorhomes.com/equinox.html
click on new/used scroll down to 3
not the Crafter but Sprinter-no doubt they would do a Crafter for you -- I think they have a yr old one for about 58k :Eeek:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Why do a conversion? there are plenty of high tops on the market, like my VW Topaz, the trouble with a high build you are quite limited to your lay out, but having said that I would love a Devon Monte Carlo as would give sleeping in the back, the Topaz as much as i love it, it would be great to have a bed across the van, and not having to move the drivers seat around to sleep, the longer I am writing this post, it seems that a home build would be a good idea,( but hi ho ) :roflmto:......................Del

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
cant remember who it was i saw at birmingham but they had rear slide outs on sprinter based vans when i remember i will post a link.

OP
OP
2dogs

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
Thanks for the replies all,

Terry, the equinox looks vey much like a Murvi, not to our liking, carpets, if you have them belong on the floor, probably well built but not for us.

Del, our initial thoughts when we started looking was models like the Topaz,
good build quality etc, unfortunately with 2 x big hairy lumps (not me and she who must be obeyed::bigsmile:, the girls), there just isn't the space.

Alan, if I had time and space I would love to give it a go. It would probably take me a couple of years with constant ear ache, in that time the design would change so much I would lose the will.

Andy the slide out looks a good idea but we want 2 exits, side and rear for
the hairy lumps.

I suppose my problem is reading about all the issues owners have with vans, leaks here, batteries there, creaking bits, bodyworks, undersides and the reverse instead of just getting one and getting out enjoying it.

Cheers
2dogs

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
Have you consider one of these

Hi 2 dogs

Take a look at these - they're a little bigger than the VW. I had the pleasure of seeing one just before Christmas when one of their operatives came to us to do his gas course. They sent him down in one to camp over in it for the week. Not a bad conversion actually.

Link Removed

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi . if i was going to use a renault i wouldnt use the master .i would look for a mascot ,rear wheel drive and i believe a much better build. you can also get big payloads etc. 6,500kg gvw. ideal for m,homes .
i thought of them as a tow unit for mine but the mitzy came up. the mascot is used all over abroad .
might be worth having a look at the renault place in exeter they very often have them. what about the camper builders in torbay , there was a place specialized in vw .but i dare say they could do another make .
not so manydown here now . devon gone westcountry conv gone . i dont really trade. there was loads of choice at one time.

OP
OP
2dogs

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
Pammy, I've looked at the Europa, thats the sort of layout we want, large rear lounge area with option of big double or 2 singles, gives space for the girls to sleep between, just not sure of the Master.

Alan, I looked a couple of years ago at local converters, North Devon area and mid Cornwall, at the time I was a bit surprised at the response of "bring your own van and we'll convert it", the price of conversion was several bits more than I expected, just to say I might as well have gone to a dealer.
Devon are still in my sights, seem to build a decent van, just a trip up North but they don't seem to use LW base vans other than the usual Fiat, Peugeot and Citroen.

Cheers
2dogs

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
it was best when devon were at exeter .very helpfull. even better when it was jp.whites at sidemouth.
there is someone up barnstable way does bongo,s they might do others.
i take it you went to cool conversions at wadebridge.
if you do it yourself i would say expect to spend 5-6 grand on bits . give or take.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi 2 dogs the simple reasoning behind most converters using the Fiat etc, is width and price ::bigsmile:At a claimed 6ft 4 ins wide (not measured one)it is at least 4 ins wider than any other van and about 8/10 ins wider than the sprinter/crafter ::bigsmile:Both these vans are premium price and getting any discount on them is hard.The extra ins inside make a very big difference on which layouts you can choose.There are lots of smaller co's that will convert your own van for around 15k---bear in mind you will (as Alan says)have to spend around min 5k to around 7 k in bits to fit in your van.You would spend the same amount be it in an old van or a new one so you really should go for the newest van you can afford :thumb:
Come sale time a well converted van will recoup your money plus,where a poorly converted one will loose you shed loads :Sad:
I would expect to get at least two yrs out of a conversion before you start to loose money if not more.Bear in mind on a big boy conversion you start to loose money as soon as you drive off the forecourt.
terry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just to put another thought in. some of the small trucks come really cheap .far cheaper than vans .and so easy to convert . chassis cab merc 814 far cheaper than an 814 van. box on back straight sides . 7,6 wide . you can use b&q units etc . job done in a few weekends .
but van wise renault mascot is the tops i reckon . far better than a vw or a merc.
mercs have engine troubles and chassis cabs get tremendous corrosion.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back