VW Engine burning very lean. Problem (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi Folks,
This isn't a question relating to my motorhome which has a Fiat 2.8 lump but rather our car which, I think, uses the same lump as a VW T5 (I may be wrong.)
It's a VW Passat Est. 2.0 @178BHP

Coming home from the IOW we stopped for lunch and everything was fine.
However on restarting the car wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. It initially only revved to 2500 and basically no more.
It was fine but very sluggish taking off but eventually got up to 60mph but wouldn't accelerate and 'died' whenever there was a gradient. The engine continued to roll and the fuel economy stayed at about the same as before in the journey.
I don't think it was in limp mode but seemed to have a very laean burn (IMHO) No warning lights illuminated.
We decided to try to make it to home, however we stopped for shopping at Launceston.
On leaving the store, I blipped the throttle and it wouldn't go beyond 2500RPM however, on getting onto the road it was as if nothing had occurred previously. I performed faultlessly all the way home.

Question. Any idea's? I'm thinking some gremlin in the ECU sent a message to bu&&er up (technical term) the mix of diesel and air or something similar.
Over to you before I spend what's left of the bank account for no reason at the garage.

All comments gratefully received.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Can you turn off ABS and try again, you may find it will rev away

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
is there a flap in the throttle body, dont know about vw but some peugeot diesels have and it can stick shut and cause a non start or poor performance

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Hi Folks,
This isn't a question relating to my motorhome which has a Fiat 2.8 lump but rather our car which, I think, uses the same lump as a VW T5 (I may be wrong.)
It's a VW Passat Est. 2.0 @178BHP

Coming home from the IOW we stopped for lunch and everything was fine.
However on restarting the car wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. It initially only revved to 2500 and basically no more.
It was fine but very sluggish taking off but eventually got up to 60mph but wouldn't accelerate and 'died' whenever there was a gradient. The engine continued to roll and the fuel economy stayed at about the same as before in the journey.
I don't think it was in limp mode but seemed to have a very laean burn (IMHO) No warning lights illuminated.
We decided to try to make it to home, however we stopped for shopping at Launceston.
On leaving the store, I blipped the throttle and it wouldn't go beyond 2500RPM however, on getting onto the road it was as if nothing had occurred previously. I performed faultlessly all the way home.

Question. Any idea's? I'm thinking some gremlin in the ECU sent a message to bu&&er up (technical term) the mix of diesel and air or something similar.
Over to you before I spend what's left of the bank account for no reason at the garage.

All comments gratefully received.
Its German what else do you. Expect. ?? Will you never learn . Especially after the krauts were exposed as cheaters with emissions. . Lol

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Could be anything. You will need to have it plugged in and get the codes read

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If it's a turbo it could also be a hose leak between the turbo & inlet manifold (which includes intercooler hoses).

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I'll agree with then theory of a possible Air Mass Meter but I'd search the VW forums to find someone with VCDS (Vagcomm) diagnostic system to scan it for you. You are too far away for me to do it for you. Try the VW T4 Forum or T6 Forum or search for VW Golf Forums.

Rod

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
If it's returned to normal and didn't generate any fault codes (ie warning ligh ) Id not do nothing until you have more to go on
It sounds sensor/electronic rarher than a mechanical fault..
Does it have a regenerative particulate filter that might have been operating and effecting the exhaust sensors...if it has them ....
Andy

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
An update on this.

This morning I visited my local garage and plugging in the diagnostics we found.......Nothing.
The car is behaving itself and I'm not complaining but it still leaves that nagging worry that it could happen again. Still, the wallet's still intact.
Thanks to all contributors

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
An update on this.

This morning I visited my local garage and plugging in the diagnostics we found.......Nothing.
Still, the wallet's still intact.

Well, that sounds like a result to me!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back