Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
For all lovers of the Vulcan, the book to read is Vulcan 607 by Rowland White: A tremendous read which details the first of the Operation Black Buck raids on The Falklands, and how perilously close they came to disaster. It was a huge logistical undertaking with Victor tankers not only refuelling the bombers but each other to enable just one Vulcan to make the target. On the final leg home the crew came ever so close to ditching when "running on fumes" they only just made their final rendezvous with the tanker. To get it all off the ground they had to tour the local Lincolnshire scrapyards to retrieve various bits required to make it possible, and one part which was being used as an ashtray in the Officers' Mess. It certainly makes you wonder what would have happened had the operation not been successful.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0552152293/?tag=mhf04-21

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
I was at work on Friday on a large site near to Exeter airport. At about 12:00 I was watching the crane doing a lift for me when, just behind the boom, a large black triangle came into view. The Vulcan bomber had just taken off! Spectacular sight :)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Last time I witnessed a Vulcan in action was at the RR Leavesden plant open day some years ago now. The Vulcan came over at low level with the bomb doors open and dropped a large sack of flour onto a target before flashing the after burners on and lifting up and away. A memorable occasion. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Having din din today heard a noise and drumming
Of 4 large piston engines followed mrs t outside
For a belly view of a Lancaster directly overhead

Not seen it for ages part of the memorial flight

Broken Link Removed

Sorry for the high jack

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Look for it again in August when the Canadian Lancaster visits to fly with the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight...

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Look for it again in August when the Canadian Lancaster visits to fly with the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight...
An acquaintance of mine who owns the Museum of RAF Firefighting based at RAF Scampton (once home to the Vulcan) has managed to get a flight on the Canadian Lancaster when it comes here, (jammy sod :winky:).

Hopefully, I'll be watching the Vulcan do it's display, at the RAF Waddington Air Show next month. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Enjoy it Jock - I'm hoping to get to at least 2 Vulcan displays this summer. Also selling raffle tickets for it, so Stratford rally goers watch out!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Heard a noise like the vulcan the other day went outside and saw this An225 http://www.airliners.net/aircraft-data/stats.main?id=389 evidently its the largest airliner in the world and theres only one of them. Best time I saw the vulcan was it doing a mock low level bombing run at Cosby Victory Day with ground charges it was great (I think they put a bit more petrol in the charges than they expected!!)

David

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back