LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
All of the considerable activity on the political front recently with local elections, the looming General Election and Brexit has set me thinking. Who do we have who can represent motorhomers (or at least caravan owners and motorhomers and maybe even campers as a combined group) in Parliament? Given that it is a significant pastime enjoyed by many and that the manufacture and sale of caravans and motorhomes is a big industry, I thought that there would be bound to be an APPG (All Party Parliamentary Group) to look after our interests. I have however looked on the Parliament website and even though there must be the best part of a couple of hundred such groups, I cannot find a relevant one. There are groups covering chess, two for football, two for mountaineering and even one for pigeon racing! With all due respect to the pigeon-fancying fraternity, I do not think that it is such a large economic activity. I may have missed something and no doubt the two big clubs will tell us that they lobby M.P.s on our behalf, as no doubt they do, but I would like to have a group we can lobby as individuals. Does anyone know of such a group or the names of any M.Ps with an interest in motorhoming and allied activities. Do we have an M.P. who is a Funster? The time is nigh to come out. As a group we must all vote Funster at the election! Looking at some of the daft posts on here (especially my own!) perhaps the time is nigh to form the Funster Raving Loony Party.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
How about HM if she were eligible?

article-2236823-1629BB73000005DC-759_634x471.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Cant see her being much use as she is from the Dark Side (tugging) :D
True - but I think that does come under 'allied activities' as requested by the OP.
Does anyone know of such a group or the names of any M.Ps with an interest in motorhoming and allied activities.

The fact that she is a caravanner is the most complimentary thing I can find to say.

When Tony Blair amalgamated parts of Environment, Transport & the Regions with Agriculture, Fisheries & Food to form DEFRA, he put Mrs Beckett in charge. I imagine he thought the occasional caravan holiday gave her the required experience. :doh:
After all, a Caravan Club site is a true representation of modern rural Britain, isn't it? :whistle:

OP
OP
Stretto Boy

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Margaret Beckett (Labour, Derby South) is a keen caravanner.

I knew that but it had slipped my mind. Thank you for reminding me.

True - but I think that does come under 'allied activities' as requested by the OP.

My point in mentioning "allied activities" was because I think we need as much support as we can get and we share much in common with the Toad community e.g. we share sites with them. Although we joke about them as if they were the enemy, many of us came from the dark side. I started with ridge tents, then trailer tents, then a folding caravan before finally discovering the one true faith about 6 years ago :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back