Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Dont understand non of it.... :Sad:

Mine is Unladen 5 ton...... Laden 6 ton...

And stamped in the log book is....... Towed trailer must not exceed 2,000 KLG.. :RollEyes::Doh:

Deleted User
I had not seen the blank on the Autotrail spec sheet regarding drawbar trailers but I would be surprised if this meant that towing a drawbar trailer within the gross train weight limit was illegal.

This blank space is on the spec sheet and not on the plate, I doubt very much that VOSA would be interested if everything else was in order.

The American vehicles are without any train weight specified on the manufacturers plate and so, as you say, cannot tow in this country.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
weight

Kontiki 669 is 500kgs gross (vehicle on its own) train weight (with towed car) 6000 kg The average payload of the kontiki depending on model 750.00kg (three quarters of a ton old money) the Smart trailer weight 300kg and the car approx. 700kg.

I cannot see how this could be true. How many of us load 3/4 of a ton into our Motorhomes?

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I had not seen the blank on the Autotrail spec sheet regarding drawbar trailers but I would be surprised if this meant that towing a drawbar trailer within the gross train weight limit was illegal.

This blank space is on the spec sheet and not on the plate, I doubt very much that VOSA would be interested if everything else was in order.

The American vehicles are without any train weight specified on the manufacturers plate and so, as you say, cannot tow in this country.

Nearly all the RV's i see around are usually towing either a toad or trailer, just hope they don,t get pulled.......
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Nearly all the RV's i see around are usually towing either a toad or trailer, just hope they don,t get pulled.......
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

some do have a train, some dont.....and that applies to pickups as well, though many will be very capable of pulling 4 or 5 tons.
im sure there will be a few pickups towing 5th wheels illegally out there.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I don't think the RV's are a problem - it is the tag axle vehicles which are not suitable for towing more than a minimal amount

edgy

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 25, 2011
bolton lancs
Funster No
MH
lo line
Exp
"I,m a newbie
I think what they are meaning is that you can not tow a trailer of more than 2 ton. ie if your van only gross of at4.5 and your train is 6 ton you can still only tow a trailer up to 2 ton . Hope this makes sense:Doh:

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Kontiki 669 is 500kgs gross (vehicle on its own) train weight (with towed car) 6000 kg The average payload of the kontiki depending on model 750.00kg (three quarters of a ton old money) the Smart trailer weight 300kg and the car approx. 700kg.

I cannot see how this could be true. [HI]How many of us load 3/4 of a ton into our Motorhomes?[/HI]

Martin

Remind me to introduce you to the wife :ROFLMAO:

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Just back from France and saw a motorhome towing a CARAVAN- why?. Not a direct answer to the thread but thought it extraordinary and the weight issue and stability did cross my mind

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Just back from France and saw a motorhome towing a CARAVAN- why?. Not a direct answer to the thread but thought it extraordinary and the weight issue and stability did cross my mind

Greetings,

That one's obvious.

His wife couldn't make her mind up:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back