Voltage Surge

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by spongy, Jun 23, 2015.

1. spongy

spongy Read Only Funster

Just got back from a month in France, great time apart from both of us being ill for a week, knocking my near side coach type wing mirror off in a peage and an electrical power surge at a site on the dordorgne. It knocked out my charger but the caravan next to us had considerable damage to their electrics, burnt out charger and wiring. The couple in the caravan were insured with the CC, they phoned the CC at 9.30 Friday night and they got an electrician out to them lunchtime on Saturday, didnt do anything but I very impressed. Ive just got to get my repair costs back now, not holding my breath. All the fun of motorhoming!

spongy

2. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Which site please?

3. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

We don't use EHU at the moment but as we are going to be doing winters away in the future I have just fitted a AVS 30, (under voltage, over voltage & surge protector). If you buy from RS they give a first order discount of 20%.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Neilfg

Neilfg Funster

First time I have seen this it seems a good idea, not planning on overwintering abroad just yet so just curious but have you wired this in for a specific device or your complete system? And (hopefully not too stupid a question:unsure:) apart from the delayed start features would a correctly rated RCD fuse box provide enough protection?

5. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

RCD & RCBO do not protect against over or under voltage
    RCD protects against earth leakage
    RCBO protects against earth leakage and over current.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Wired to complete system, instructions recommend an inline fuse or breaker, the EHU point will take care of that. Someone I know who fitted one spoke to them, they recommend fitting between the van's RCD & MCB which is what I did.
    Advantage of wiring inline with the complete system is it protects the fridge electronics & any other equipment plugged directly into the mains when on EHU.
    We never use EHU at the moment (one night in last 5 years), what prompted fitting is going on a Greek ferry in September, they have EHU on board and ships generators are not a good idea with Elektroblocks.

• Like Like x 2
  7. s20hymer

s20hymer Funster

hya..Lenny been reading about sollatek avs 30 seems to be impressive bit of kit not available at the moment will try later

8. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

RS only appear to keep 1 or 2 in stock, Amazon haven't stocked them for over a year.

• Like Like x 1
  9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Just ordered AVS 30 from RS .. plenty in stock.. but sadly the 20% discount offer expired..

Sollatek 230 V ac 6.5kA AVS Over Voltage Protector, Under Voltage Protector
    Stock no.: 311-5868
    http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/surge-suppressor-units/3115868/

Amazon are out of stock

There is a cheaper option if you just want to protect the Schaudt Elektroblock..
    this is an in-line unit so no wiring to do..

http://www.mobipowerpacks.com/products/23/ISP3-Inline-Surge-Protectors.html

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Elektroblocks suffer more from under & over voltage than surge spikes also the cheap surge protectors need replaceing every year or two as voltage spikes break down the components .
    The AVS 30 is a better option as it protects other items such as the fridge which are all electronic control these days. So far I have rarely used EHU, I fitted the AVS 30 to give some protection when hooked up to ships generators on ferries.

11. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Thanks for this info, I had never heard of these before. I am fed up of unplugging during thunder storms.. I will get one of these and fit asap.

Currently I have an extension lead with surge protector. All my sensitive stuff gets plugged into this. It will be nice to get rid of that 6 gang socket.

• Like Like x 1
  12. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

and it arrived this morning...

a straightforward and easy install.. :)