Voltage reading

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ericonabike, May 2, 2013.

1. ericonabike

ericonabike Read Only Funster

The control unit on my Autocruise Starburst, even when switched off, still displays info to scroll through, including voltage at cab and hab batteries. Today the leisure battery was reading 12.7 volts - but when I switched on the control unit, it went down immediately to 12.3 volts. Any idea why? There was nothing switched on, so as far as I can see the only additional current drain was the red LED on the control unit to show I'd switched it on!

2. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Do you have a battery master or any other such device?

3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

solar panel maybe, but in anycase if you have not been using it sounds like a duff battery or one in need of a full charge, better start reaching for your wallet

4. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

0.5 volt would not worry the meter will be +\- 0.5 volt

If you have a drain. Measure it over a 12 hour period

5. ericonabike

No battery master or solar panel. First leisure battery is 6 months old, had second fitted a couple of weeks ago. Slightly worried since reading in a previous thread that [give or take] a reading of 12.7 was fully charged, 12.3 was 3/4 charged. Or thereabouts. Either way it seems a big drop for no reason!

6. maz

maz Funster

12.3v is nearer to just 1/3 charged - if the control panel is to be believed. Have you taken actual readings with a multimeter?

7. ericonabike

No - but when I was having the second battery fitted the technician said the voltmeter was reading accurately. The batteries may well not be up to full charge, but it seemed anomalous for the displayed voltage to drop just by switching on the control panel...?

8. maz

maz Funster

Just a thought, but when the control panel's switched off is the voltage it shows maybe the 'last recorded' voltage before it was switched off? Or does it actually show changing voltage readings while switched off?

My thinking is that if it only shows an unchanging 'remembered' voltage when off, then the act of switching it on would kick it into giving the current (forgive the pun! :RollEyes: ) voltage reading, which might have dropped over time due to some drain or battery fault rather than just the act of switching on the control panel.