Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
I'm currently on a site at Platja de Pals in NE Spain, not a million miles from Girona. I've just been chatting to a new arrival about her van, which is interesting to say the least.

It's a 1995 (M reg) Volkswagen T4 Eurovan apparently made for the Canadian market but later sold to someone in Japan, then later imported to the UK. It's left hand drive and appears to be an official Westfalia conversion with a pop-top roof, making it a three berth.

Liz tells me she had no troubles with it until she came to go up and down the mountain roads crossing the border from France into Spain. Traffic was heavy, very slow moving and stop-start, and the vehicle overheated a couple of time, quite dramatically it appears. Adding extra water and being very gentle appears to have done the trick, but she had a scare when trying to go up mountainous roads out of Lloret de Mar, so she backed off and it calmed down. Could this be a knackered thermostat?

Her other problem is that the fridge doesn't seem to work on EHU, only on leisure battery and when the vehicle is running. I've had a look at it... it's not a Dometic model; seems to be marked up as one of Westfalia's original fittings. It's more like a large fitted cool box in appearance (with a top lid like a chest freezer) than a traditional fridge, and there doesn't seem to be a switch with facility to change between gas/230v/12v..... would this suggest that it is indeed a glorified cool box that only runs on 12v.... from leisure battery and engine?

The last issue is that whilst here she unfortunately backed into a tree so the RNS light cluster is broken and the bumper is very cracked.

My questions to Funsters are...... does anyone know of a garage or similar in this area that might be able to have a look at the overheating issue... or anything like a breakers yard or similar that might be able to source a light unit? Any idea's about the fridge issue?

Simon

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Possibly a compressor fridge that will only run on 12v this is how new VWs work. The mains supply will either be stepped down to 12v or just keep the batteries topped up. If you listen very carefully you will hear the compressor start and stop. Electrical compressors definitely dont run on gas. Good luck.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I'm currently on a site at Platja de Pals in NE Spain, not a million miles from Girona. I've just been chatting to a new arrival about her van, which is interesting to say the least.

It's a 1995 (M reg) Volkswagen T4 Eurovan apparently made for the Canadian market but later sold to someone in Japan, then later imported to the UK. It's left hand drive and appears to be an official Westfalia conversion with a pop-top roof, making it a three berth.

Liz tells me she had no troubles with it until she came to go up and down the mountain roads crossing the border from France into Spain. Traffic was heavy, very slow moving and stop-start, and the vehicle overheated a couple of time, quite dramatically it appears. Adding extra water and being very gentle appears to have done the trick, but she had a scare when trying to go up mountainous roads out of Lloret de Mar, so she backed off and it calmed down. Could this be a knackered thermostat?

Her other problem is that the fridge doesn't seem to work on EHU, only on leisure battery and when the vehicle is running. I've had a look at it... it's not a Dometic model; seems to be marked up as one of Westfalia's original fittings. It's more like a large fitted cool box in appearance (with a top lid like a chest freezer) than a traditional fridge, and there doesn't seem to be a switch with facility to change between gas/230v/12v..... would this suggest that it is indeed a glorified cool box that only runs on 12v.... from leisure battery and engine?

The last issue is that whilst here she unfortunately backed into a tree so the RNS light cluster is broken and the bumper is very cracked.

My questions to Funsters are...... does anyone know of a garage or similar in this area that might be able to have a look at the overheating issue... or anything like a breakers yard or similar that might be able to source a light unit? Any idea's about the fridge issue?

Simon

The overheating sounds like the electric radiator fans are not coming in. Best just let it run fast and the temp go up and see if they come in. If not its possibly just a wire off.
The fridge will be a compressor type that runs from 12 volt only. Its the same in my VW T4 Dehler.
Are you sure its a Eurovan and not a Maxivan ?
Does it look like this, if so its a Maxivan.

Attachments

• VW Dehler ebay sale 044.jpg
    VW Dehler ebay sale 044.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 30
  • VW Dehler ebay sale 036.jpg
    VW Dehler ebay sale 036.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 26
  • VW Dehler ebay sale 042.jpg
    VW Dehler ebay sale 042.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 29
  • VW Dehler ebay sale 038.jpg
    VW Dehler ebay sale 038.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Spenders

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
That clears up the fridge....

The overheating sounds like the electric radiator fans are not coming in. Best just let it run fast and the temp go up and see if they come in. If not its possibly just a wire off.
The fridge will be a compressor type that runs from 12 volt only. Its the same in my VW T4 Dehler.
Are you sure its a Eurovan and not a Maxivan ?
Does it look like this, if so its a Maxivan.

Thanks for that chaps.... sounds like its a compressor fridge then. I'll have a peek into the engine bay tomorrow and see if I can see anything adrift around the cooling fan.

As far as I can tell its definitely a Eurovan.... my friend Wikipedia (who I know tells fibs sometimes) seems to suggest a history for T4 Eurovans that fits in with what Liz knows about the vehicle and the labels on it at various points, including the great big 'Eurovan' badge on the tailgate door! LOL.

Simon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back