VOLKSWAGEN AUTOSLEEPER TROPHY (1 Viewer)

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Our daughter is after a vw trophey. We have been to Portsmouth to view one which had just sold when we got there, they had another but not as good value. We have been to Bristol to see one which you could describe as tatty and it would be an understatement. Highbridge to see if they had anything, Taunton where she tried to buy one from a bloke who had just called in to have a look round. Eastleigh where a guy had one for sale privately but was waiting for someone else to come and have a viewing. The latest one she is interested in is at dulnain bridge near grantown on Spey, I just hope it is worth the 1200 mile round trip.

Deleted User
There might ne a member local to Grantown that would give it a once over and could rule it out if it was not as described. Having said that I would be happy to visit Grantown any time.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Great choice of van, is the Topaz the same layout ?

Owning is as good as money in the bank - from what I've seen the haven't devalued much in 10 years....

Agree there are a few tatty ones around but also some real gems, worth waiting for the right one.

I too would be happy to take a quick viewing if you see anymore around Bristol.

Good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
big map

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Great choice of van, is the Topaz the same layout ?

Owning is as good as money in the bank - from what I've seen the haven't devalued much in 10 years....

Agree there are a few tatty ones around but also some real gems, worth waiting for the right one.

I too would be happy to take a quick viewing if you see anymore around Bristol.

Good luck
:glitter:

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
This Topaz looks good value, obviously a few quid but quite a lot newer than most. 2.5tdi engine and lovely colour
Broken Link Removed

Saw this Trophey - surprised someone paid that much for it- top, top price, especially considering it's the 2.4D engine. I guess plenty of buyers out there
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
big map

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Sabena (daughter) is looking to pay between £10 - £13K and they are mostly 1994 registered ones.

Broken Link Removed This is the one in Scotland.

OP
OP
big map

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
We might try and get to see this one on the way up as well

Broken Link Removed

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
This Topaz looks good value, obviously a few quid but quite a lot newer than most. 2.5tdi engine and lovely colour
Broken Link Removed

Saw this Trophey - surprised someone paid that much for it- top, top price, especially considering it's the 2.4D engine. I guess plenty of buyers out there
Broken Link Removed

Because the 2.4 is cast iron bullet proof . Even better if someone has already added a turbo & intercooler (y) & it is far more economical.Whereas the 2,5 gives more trouble & drinks diesel in comparison.
It is exactly the same here + the Spanish version of "scene tax" lol

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
My last VW was the Trooper with the raising roof like THIS

However I purchased one for my son a few years later and that was the last of the T4 Autosleeper Trident le (2003 / 53 reg) which he is about to put up for sale, I'm fairly sure it is up for £19,000 though which I have to admit is only 2K less than I paid for it two years ago.
Beautiful condition though

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Gosh, they're not cheap are they !
I remember buying our VW well - took two years and many journeys to find the right one.
Newer ones much better value, which is fine if you've got the money available....

@gus-lopez 2.4D usually sell for 1-2k less in the UK. Reliable yes, but slow and agricultural compared to the 2.5tdi.
Can't see that reliability is an issue with any of them as long as they've been serviced regularly - rust would be my only concern.

Agree about the 'scene tax', get far better value with almost any other van - but with VW you can sell in an instant and always get good price.
That was my logic for purchasing one and it worked well - only lost £1,000 in six years of ownership.

evie808

Free Member
May 16, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Not yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie
@bigmap Just wondering if you ever went to view the Trophy at Dulnain Bridge and had any thoughts? I am a complete beginner but thought it looked like a nice one.

OP
OP
big map

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi evie808 no we didn't get to Scotland in the end. Sabena bought the one from buyamotorhome in Waltham chase in post 15. We looked at loads all over the country and the one in Scotland looked good value so much so we were going to travel from the south coast to see it in the flesh. I see it's been relisted on eBay. Go and have a look and see if it's the one for you, perhaps you could start a thread to see if anyone could spare time to have a look with you, people on here are always willing to help where they can. Good luck. And welcome to motorhome fun.

evie808

Free Member
May 16, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Not yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie
@bigmap Thanks for getting back to me. I went to see the one in Dulnain Bridge yesterday but I don't think it is the one for me. The hunt goes on.

OP
OP
big map

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
@bigmap Thanks for getting back to me. I went to see the one in Dulnain Bridge yesterday but I don't think it is the one for me. The hunt goes on.
Our daughter has found another trophy in Gloucester I will get her to post the link if you are interested. Or have you gone off vw trophy all together?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the one up in scotland looks like somebody has had a go at repairing rust with a spraycan if you zoom in on the pictures

evie808

Free Member
May 16, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Not yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie
@bigmap - that would be great if you could post the link. Thanks. Still like the VW Trophy just not that van. TheBig1 is right - it was the bodywork that put me off the one in Scotland.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Rust is always a hazard when buying a T4.
Unless it's already been repaired I would expect to find corrosion on most examples... even the later 2002/2003 vans.
For the most part, panels are the worst affected and easily fixed. Think it's case of spending a few hundred quid on treatment and spraying to keep on top of it.

The cheaper examples you see for sale are usually the unloved ones where corrosion has been ignored and taken hold of the van... sad to see but not uncommon !

A loved example will always sell quickly, if it's been for sale a while, chances are it's rusty.

My advice would be set up lots of email alerts with the big selling sites (ebay, gumtree, preloved, autotrader, newsnow classifieds) and keep an eye on the latest listings - need to be quick to win the prize !

Theguvvna

Free Member
Sep 7, 2015
Essex
Funster No
MH
VW Trophy
Exp
18 months
Our daughter is after a vw trophey. We have been to Portsmouth to view one which had just sold when we got there, they had another but not as good value. We have been to Bristol to see one which you could describe as tatty and it would be an understatement. Highbridge to see if they had anything, Taunton where she tried to buy one from a bloke who had just called in to have a look round. Eastleigh where a guy had one for sale privately but was waiting for someone else to come and have a viewing. The latest one she is interested in is at dulnain bridge near grantown on Spey, I just hope it is worth the 1200 mile round trip.

Hi
The Trophy you missed at Portsmouth wasn't in Southdowns Motorhomes by any chance, was it?
If so, it was me that bought it around February! There was another one there but not as good.
I've had many trips away with my son in it since :)
Did you say you've got one now? And if so, did you hold out for the Trophy still?
Kev

OP
OP
big map

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Kev. It was Southdown where we went to look but it has just been sold. Sabena did hold out for a trophy and got one from buyamotorhome at Waltham chase. She has used a quite a few times and is currently in France with it.
image.jpg

Welcome to the fun forum.

Theguvvna

Free Member
Sep 7, 2015
Essex
Funster No
MH
VW Trophy
Exp
18 months
Morning.
Yes, then it was me that bought it. They left it showing as still for sale for a while for some reason.
If this is the one Sabena found, it looks like it's in good shape from the bodywork I can see.
I needed an automatic due to leg problems which made it even harder to find a Trophy for me but now we have one, we have great trips in it.
Going to go to France in it with my son next year.
Thanks for getting back.
Have a good day

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back