Vodafone USB wireless dongle unlock (1 Viewer)

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I have a three year old PAYG Vodafone E5385 wireless dongle which is locked to the Vodafone network and has software to install a program on windows based systems. Vodafone obviously don't like it any more and don't sell it because I only have to use it once in 90 days for the credit to be preserved for another 90 days - instead of the new £10 monthly rolling contract. I now have a MacBook and it is useless, but I still have over £11 of credit on it and would like to use it in a mifi so I can share my ipad with it.

My question is, can this dongle be unlocked so I can use it, or its SIM card in a mifi system? I have searched the Internet, but I don't understand the answers - if any!

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
I bought a Huawei unlocked mifi unit off fleabay and tried a variety of SIM cards in it. One of them came out of a locked rolling credit Vodafone dongle. They all worked, but I prefer the 3 Network.

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
My question is, can this dongle be unlocked so I can use it, or its SIM card in a mifi system? I have searched the Internet, but I don't understand the answers - if any!

It should work if you take out the SIM Card and put it in an unlocked MiFi.

Cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
I am using the same sim card in my mifi :thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the sim card is not locked to the dongle, so can be used in any unlocked mifi or similar

you would only need to unlock the dongle if you intended to use it with another sim. i have the unlocking software to create a code, but honestly cant see why you would want to. these dongles are now obsolete as the new technology is about 4x faster or better. its like connecting your home computer to the internet via an old 56k modem. although the height of technology once its now pretty much worthless. i have a few in a drawer somewhere and couldnt even be bothered to try selling on ebay. probably i will put them in one of the charity boxes destined for africa, where all the old mobile phones go

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
if u need any thing unlocked use these people cost normally 99p
Broken Link Removed

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I belive that you can request the service provider to unlock your device after 12 months free of charge.
:thumb:
Wyn

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I would put it on ebay as these non expiring dongles are very sought after, they are no longer available from any phone company.

I would not part with mine as it is an excellent back up connection for me.

Peter

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Am in York and have just had this conversation with the Vodafone shop
It appears these timeless dongles are not liked by Vodafone and everythging is now geared to wireless dongles which are £55 with some credit ready installed. If you have an iPhone you can configure it to share your internet in the same way as a dongle. I don't know how but the tech guy did mine at the store (a favuor).
If you purchase a new wireless dongle make sure it the upto date 4G item.
As a matter of interest I have been offered £200 for my timeless dongle, worth thinking about. Good luck in your search.

kkclassic

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
South Coast
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
if u need any thing unlocked use these people cost normally 99p
Broken Link Removed

Hi

I have used these guys service and can recommend it. He got back to me with the unlocks code for my mifi in minutes and the unlock was so easy. I bought another huawei e586 and the unlock for that was just as quick. :thumb:

Kevin and Tricia

OP
OP
DiggerJon
Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Thanks for replies

A great help from all of you - so many thanks. I think that I shall go the "use it all up" route and then ditch it or sell it on ebay. I have not found the Vodafone network brilliant (Scarborough especially!) and will go with Three sims bought for about £12 for 3GB use or 3 months n my mifi. It would seem I would have to spend a lot to save a little. Ah well, like a lot of modern technology, it is soon outdated!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the non expiring SIM card is certainly worth good money, but not the dongle. you can put the SIM in any other device to keep the non expiring deal

OP
OP
DiggerJon
Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Eureka - a working dongle!!

I don't like giving up! I finally managed to get my Vodafone PAYG dongle to work on my MacBook and on my Hauwei mifi device. I found this geeky link which spelt it out and it worked!!!

Broken Link Removed

Once the software was installed on my Macbook, the dongle was recognised and worked first time and then, being bold, I put the SIM in my Hauwei mifi and altered the profile settings for vodafone which I had taken from the software runnng the dongle and Eureka! It worked! Only downside? I have to use the sim in the dongle when I need to top up the credits.

Many thanks for all the help from you funsters; it just spurred me on!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back