Vodafone mifi

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by xsparks, Nov 13, 2015.

1. xsparks

xsparks Funster

Bought a Vodafone mifi gadget to use in Europe .Will I need to get it opened and buy a local SIM or will the Vodafone SIM card work abroad? Any ideas please?

2. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

You can use the Vodafone sim abroad but it won't be cheap! Better to get it unlocked (codes for 99p on Ebay) then you can use whatever suits for abroad.

• Like Like x 1
  3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Some Vodaphone mifis have been tricky to unlock. Best of luck! :)

Depends where you are going but Three might be the best deal for going to Europe, you pay UK rates, but local sims can certainly be used.

• Like Like x 1
  4. xsparks

xsparks Funster

I was thinking of Spain sometime in the New year you guys can't have it all to yourselves, and I still want to be able to read my favourite website + other things

5. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

You have a couple of choices, 1) unlock the MiFi and use local cards in each country. That can be a pain as others have said. 2) get a second unit that is unlocked and use that.
    If you are OK with 3G only, I have got an old unlocked 3G mifi unit going spare, PM me if you are interested.

• Like Like x 1
  6. xsparks

xsparks Funster

Thanks that's so kind but since I bought this specifically after reading previous posts. Perhaps you can find someone more deserving. Not sure what PM means bit slow on the uptake when it comes to texting etc .

7. Figaro

Figaro Funster

PM = personal message, click on the name and then click start a conversation.
    Daniel, I may be interested, does your 3G mifi have an external ariel socket ?
    Chris

• Like Like x 1
  8. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

I think that what most people are saying is.. Vodafone would be fine in the UK but in Europe it's at least £3 per day extra for your regular tarrif. With three it's free in Europe.

9. xsparks

xsparks Funster

Thanks for sharing this information.I'll see about getting a 3 SIM.

10. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

Very surprised anyone still bothers with Vodafone. I was with them for 34 years until I tried 3. After spending 5 months touring France and Spain this year it was refreshing not to be ripped off with extortionate charge. My bill from 3 was exactly the same as if I were touring the UK. It's a very long time since I dealt with such an upfront company, especially in the telecoms industry.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

No, it is a TP Link M5350. Due to the nature of my work I upgraded the system in the van to have a wired 4G network and NAS onboard, and the new router has high gain aerials.
    Consequently this little router is now in a cupboard gathering dust, it did proud service, I used it with Belgian, French, Italian and German cards, and it was excellent.

12. madgeD

madgeD Funster

I bought a Voda sim in Germany for my mifi , I would use p.a.y.g then you know what your using. Ask over here before you go about unlocking.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Just to let everyone know, someone has claimed my spare router and I no longer have one :D