Vodafone announce cheap Internet data roaming in Europe (1 Viewer)

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
This was put on FACTs a few days ago and I thought it should be spread around the forums.

Vodafone have announced cheaper roaming charges for mobiles in Europe. 25MB per day for £2 or monthly for £10. This is for the popular countries, Spain, France etc. Albania and the like the allowance drops to 5MB per day.

Link Removed

Countries covered
http://www.vodafone.co.uk/Lightbox/VFTST061981

Vodafone users should phone 40062 to opt into the Data Traveler Plan. You needn't wait until you go abroad.

Vodafone also permits your phone to act as a wifi hotspot, so it is easy to get this data on your notepad or laptop through your everyday phone. Just ensure you turn off unnecessary automatic downloads (critical updates, virus updates, etc.). Updates can eat into your 25MB daily allowance. Turn them back on when your in a wifi zone.

Vodafone generally is regarded as having the most accessible network in the UK with extensive partner networks abroad.

It seems there are two deals on offer. You can sign up for the £2 a day deal for up to 25MB. or you can sign up for £10 per month for up to 25MB per day, every day. I called Vodafone to get the low down on this and you will only get charged on the daily tariff if you use it. So if you don't connect one day you wont get a bill. I also asked if you can opt in and out of the monthly scheme and apparently you can. This could be ideal if your going away for a month or two or more to Europe as it means you can have daily Internet usage for £10 per month. If your already paying £40 a month or more on contract (why anyone would be is beyond me) you will get the allowance FOC.

Now 25MB which is the daily limit is not a huge amount but its enough to check emails a few times a day, do a few posts on here or plan your next Aire, campsite or places of interest. Vodafone say they will send you a text if you are getting near the daily limit. After that its £1 a MB.

They say this is for phone sims only. The data USB dongle will remain at £9.99 per day for up to 50MB which is a bit daft. However it is quite easy to set up your phone as a modem on the PC and Vodafone have talked me through this in the past. I suspect it will be straight forward to put a vodafone phone sim in a dongle as well although I haven't done this yet. (will try this afternoon).

I think you can opt into the daily scheme at anytime but you will only get charged when you use it. For the monthly scheme Vodafone told me to get in touch before I go away so they can turn it on and then when I get back so they can turn it off.

I personally think this is a great step forward.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
750 meg a month does not seem much, I use 5 gig and more some months.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Just to confirm, I tested my mobile phone sim in a dongle and it works. So dont see why it wouldnt work abroad if you prefer to use a dongle on your laptop rather than plug your phone into it.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
The fact that one provider has started this will produce other deals from rivals.

Well done Vodaphone and Barryd for posting it:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back