Visiting Porto, recommendations please (1 Viewer)

Arnica

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
Bolton le Sands Carnforth
Funster No
MH
Geist Touring 652 C Class
Exp
Nine years
We would like to spend a day or two in Porto whilst on our way down to the sun this winter. Having read reports on the motor home stop over there, it doesn't sound very safe or exciting.

Would welcome suggestions of where to stay close to the action/experiences of past visitors please.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We are at the NEC today but when i get home i will check my records ,my daughter worked there for a few months so i had lots of weekend trips,.there is a really good transport pass that covers buses and their metro called avanti or something like it. The old bit would be a nightmare in a motirhome with narrow bits and cobbled roads but parking on the coast would be easier. Didnt have a motirhome then so not sure about aires or campsites i'm afraid.Unbelievably friendly people , I think there is a saying"lisboans play, bragans pray and men from porto work".

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Found my old map, what wonderful memories. The pass is called Andante and was available for 72 hours, you bought it and then activated it the first time it was used. Covered all the buses and the metro. Most of the metro is in fact above ground, very new, you have to be careful that you scan your pass at the beginning and end of your journey as sometimes they check when you are on the trains.
I found south of the river less interesting except for the port caves alsong the Douro, beyond that it is mainly residential, the coast is exposed and breezy but lovely beaches. Parking would be fairly easy I would think.
North of the river is just amazing, the Ribeira is fascinating, less touristy in winter, most definitely not motorhome friendly, make sure you wear comfy shoes as it's not foot friendly either! The central area is easy to walk around in a couple of days.
The best tourist info was at the top of avenida dos aliados, loads of good maps.
Its nice just to wander but dont miss the railway station with the numerous blue and white tiles, nor Livraria Lello the bookshop near the uni that was the inspiration for Hogwarts. For me the highlight was Museu de Serralves which is the old prison and is now an art gallery mainly of photos, it only closed in recent times and was fasciating, I'm no art buff.There is just so much to see.
Do not miss cafe y queque, one day when I had no change, nor did the cafe the lady said to come back later and pay which was so trusting, paid off as I went back a few times.
The area of Foz north of the river is lovely and would be ok to park with better roads, I am sorry I can't be more helpful but I wasn't really in motorhome mode then.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
If your timing is right, see if you can fit a visit to Barcelos Thursday weekly market, every thing you can think of is sold here. It's in Campo da República. Barcelos is half way between the northern border and Porto. Do not attempt to camp on the market square as it is full of market traders starting to set up early the next day, we camped opposite the hospital on a disused bit of ground next to a garage - had no problems.

Nigel and Pamala

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back