Visible Mechanical Security (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Take delivery of our new van early January, Insurance require usual electronic cat 1 alarm and Thatcham 5-6 monitored tracker which dealer has fitted. Firm believer in mechanical deterrents when parked up at home, present van has Disklok, Milenco wheel clamp, Sentinal Clutch Claw, and a quality D lock securing both front seats inwardly facing. Old Milenco wheel clamp too small for new van with 16 inch alloys, any recommendations.

Thanks in advance

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
SW Northumberland sounds like Hexham/Corbridge area, which might be considered a fairly safe area:xsmile:.

However, it's the only place that I've had a car broken into (although someone did steal my motorbike in Newport, Gwent :xangry:). Turned out to be a couple of ne'er-do-wells from Newcastle who broke a window, stole a handbag and made off with the bank-cards. We got a description of their car from others in the carpark, alerted the police and then met that car (and occupants) in a narrow street just as the police were coming from the opposite direction. SUCCESS!

Many folk advice closing the blinds/curtains when the van is unoccupied, as that reduces bleaching of the fabrics by the sun. It also stops miscreants spotting your Disklok, ClutchClaw and the fastened seats :xrofl:. Here in rural Norfolk I have external door locks and a Strikeback alarm (without the tilt switch), which is more than most of the local MHers have. I guess it all depends on how safe you feel you are - Gordon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
After a few Motorhomes and RVs , some new , never been asked by insurers to have tracker fitted.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
After a few Motorhomes and RVs , some new , never been asked by insurers to have tracker fitted.
High value item apparently it's a first for us in 7 years and 2 new motorhomes. (Personally I would feel better donating the costs of a tracker to charity they seem to be so easily overcome and bypassed).

We are in a very low crime area so insurance premiums are generally low for both house, van and car.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
High value item apparently it's a first for us in 7 years and 2 new motorhomes. (Personally I would feel better donating the costs of a tracker to charity they seem to be so easily overcome and bypassed).

We are in a very low crime area so insurance premiums are generally low for both house, van and car.
You are obviously with the wrong insurance company. Most require cat 1 alarm with ff immobiliser. Some mh manufacturers fit trackers as standard.

Maybe you need to take a rain check

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

If that's the case then £100k is low value ?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
(Personally I would feel better donating the costs of a tracker to charity they seem to be so easily overcome and bypassed).
What evidence do you have for that?

Millions of pounds worth of property is tracked and recovered

We have been fitting tracking systems since the mid Ninties and haven't lost a motorhome with one fitted

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
What evidence do you have for that?

Millions of pounds worth of property is tracked and recovered

We have been fitting tracking systems since the mid Ninties and haven't lost a motorhome with one fitted
Eddie......can the trackers you fit be overcome by blockers....ie devices available online.
Expensive motorhomes that have been fitted with trackers have been stolen never to be found.

One of our members had an expensive mh stolen that had a tracker............it was never tracked nor found.

Guarantees.???

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
@Stewart J Can you please clarify this for a newbie? I've been looking on comparisons websites and I've had lots of quotes and none have "required" anything over the factory fitted standards. I just say "none" and they quote me a price. Are you saying this is not really available, or you have a preference for a certain company that does require xxx? Or do you have gold plated toilet fittings that no one else will insure? :xsurprised::cautious:

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
My Insurer is Comfort always a good price over the years maybe the guidelines have changed re value and the need for a tracker. But we digress guys and are off topic. Wheel clamps was the topic up for discussion.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Eddie......can the trackers you fit be overcome by blockers....ie devices available online.
Expensive motorhomes that have been fitted with trackers have been stolen never to be found.

One of our members had an expensive mh stolen that had a tracker............it was never tracked nor found.

Guarantees.???
No "blocker" can over power a mast

Don't know of a member having a van stolen with a tracker

What van?
When?
What system?
Who fitted it?
Who tracked it?

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
@Stewart J stronghold or milenco do them for 16 inch wheels. Have you considered a security post?
It's certainly worth having a tracker fitted imho. The one referred to was interesting in that it was never activated apparently ... not even the movement sensing which might indicate it was faulty or not active. Certainly better of with a decent tracker than not.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
With the amount of additional security the OP uses at home I think if in the same situation I would be looking at moving house to a safer area.
I only have an alarm, insurance requirement and do use it when wilding.
I hate the flaff of using mechanical devices can't be bothered with them, but if others feel safer using them fine.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The van was a Hymer belonging to @bigfoot You did comment on it at the time.
I think it must have been a Phantom tracker on a Transit chassis Link below @eddievanbitz

It couldn't be tracked as it was blocked.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/bastards.132182/
But there is no proof there, just 14 pages of sympathy ( quite rightly):(

Jammers are not considered a problem in the insurance industry, if the do work, the mask a weak signal, which is wiped out by the power of a mast when entering a cell

Also, we also have tracking systems that use dedicated communication satellites, so no GSM

Our Non Starter, is a GSM/GPS motorhome monitoring system. Our latest one is App driven and you immobilise the motorhome with your phone. It was intended to fight key theft. If some uses a "jammer" to bloke the phone signal, even better as the vehicle won't start until it gets the correct message :xrofl:

Incidentally, if it senses it is being interfered with, it will sound a siren, send a message to the owners and I mmobilise the motorhome(y)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
No "blocker" can over power a mast

Don't know of a member having a van stolen with a tracker

What van?
When?
What system?
Who fitted it?
Who tracked it?
Re reading that it appears abrupt, for which I apologise. It was late and I'd had a drop of Christmas cheer and was finger typing with one eye closed, so not my usual verbose style, so I hope I didn't offend you.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
@Stewart J stronghold or milenco do them for 16 inch wheels. Have you considered a security post?
It's certainly worth having a tracker fitted imho. The one referred to was interesting in that it was never activated apparently ... not even the movement sensing which might indicate it was faulty or not active. Certainly better of with a decent tracker than not.

A security post is not an option unfortunately, area where we park is not enclosed being a hardened off section in middle of a grassed area to the rear of our house. This is shared by other cottages, we are very rural.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
With the amount of additional security the OP uses at home I think if in the same situation I would be looking at moving house to a safer area.
I only have an alarm, insurance requirement and do use it when wilding.
I hate the flaff of using mechanical devices can't be bothered with them, but if others feel safer using them fine.

we've already ascertained earlier that the OP is in a reasonably safe low crime area. Some people , me included , will use all & everything on any vehicle , not necessarily to prevent it being stolen,but to delay them just a second longer that I'll catch them & be able to rid the world of them forever.:xThumb:

TonyMull

Free Member
Aug 8, 2016
Southport
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML-T 580
Exp
I am picking up my brand new Hymer on Monday (Woop!, Woop!). The insurance company I have chosen told me that, because of the overall cost of the vehicle, I must have a tracker fitted.

Fair enough, the cost of the tracker works out to be approximately 0.3% of the overall cost - a no brainer. I had a car stolen a few years ago with a tracker fitted and the police recovered it within a few hours of the theft. So, in my experience they work.

P.S. this is our very first motorhome and we are so, so, excited :D

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I am picking up my brand new Hymer on Monday (Woop!, Woop!). The insurance company I have chosen told me that, because of the overall cost of the vehicle, I must have a tracker fitted.

Fair enough, the cost of the tracker works out to be approximately 0.3% of the overall cost - a no brainer. I had a car stolen a few years ago with a tracker fitted and the police recovered it within a few hours of the theft. So, in my experience they work.

P.S. this is our very first motorhome and we are so, so, excited :D
The annoying part of having a tracker is the annual subscription over and above insurance costs.

TonyMull

Free Member
Aug 8, 2016
Southport
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML-T 580
Exp
The annoying part of having a tracker is the annual subscription over and above insurance costs.
True, although I'd factored in the annual cost in my 0.3% calculation. If you wanted a lifetime contract the cost would be only £399. I've opted for a charge of £12.49/month.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I have a tracker fitted and I just laughed at the system. It is a Phantom. A few years ago we were on our way to France and decided to have a day in Margate. We'd been there about 2 hours and just sat down to lunch and my phone got a text to advise me that my vehicle was moving. Panicking, we dashed out of the restaurant and walked extremely quickly to the car park (we don't do running these days) only to find that our Moho was exactly where we left it, untouched. I phoned Phantom and asked about the alarm I'd received. They said it was in a car park in Margate. I agreed as I was stood next to it.
When we worked out what had happened, I'd forgotten to de activate the tracker some 8 hours before at home. Had a thief pinched it, then to be advised 8 hours later and the vehicle was 300 miles away (obviously could have been overseas in that time) was (eventually) laughable when we got our breath back.
IMHO, if the theives are professionals and determined enough to get a particular vehicle, nothing will stop them.
Trackers etc are very good (mine obviously wasn't) which, if fitted, chances are you'll get your Moho back. Personally I wouldn't want to use it again.
Visual deterrents? Yep, good idea but personally, again IMHO, the OP is obsessed with the security. Disclok, wheel clamp, seats turned and locked, clutch claw. Probably fitting outside hab door lock but what about breaking windows, slashing tyres because you've thwarted them on this occasion? Damaged body work too? I've seen the results of frustrated thieves and yep, they got caught because they were on cctv. Cctv doesn't PREVENT theft but may assist in the capture of the miscreants. Damage was £5,250 + VAT and the 2 kids (not professionals) were given a £250 fine plus a victims charge thingy. Two weeks later, they were caught in another vehicle they'd successfully stolen.
I think that the only option missing is a live wire connected to the door (nooooooooo not really but would love the idea if legal) .
I know that loads of Moho owners will vehemently disagree with me but it's MY opinion based on experience but I can't disagree if anyone wants to fit any security system for their piece of mind but always remember, however good systems are, there's someone who'll get round it.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I know that loads of Moho owners will vehemently disagree with me but it's MY opinion based on experience but I can't disagree if anyone wants to fit any security system for their piece of mind but always remember, however good systems are, there's someone who'll get round it.

I agree. However, bear in mind, that the better the equipment that's installed and the better the installer, installing the equipment is, the better/fewer people there around capable of defeating it.

Security is all about reducing your odds of suffering a loss, not 100% guarantee

It could never be a 100% guarantee! For example, if someone held a knife at my wife's throats and wanted something, they'd get it. Now this is an extreme and unlikely scenario I know, but enforces the point.

Some thieves can pick locks, so locking doors keeps all, but them, out! If you don't lock your doors, everyone can walk through.

Reducing your odds!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I agree. But bear in mind that the better the equipment and the better the installer, the better/fewer people there around capable of stealing it

Security is all about reducing your odds of suffering a loss, not 100% guarantee

It could never be a 100% guarantee as if someone held a knife at my wife's throats and wanted something they'd get it. Now this is an extreme and unlikely scenario I know, but enforces the point.

Some thieves can pick locks, so locking doors keeps all but them out. If you don't lock your doors, everyone can walk through.

Reducing your odds!
Well Eddie, I'm more than impressed that you agree with me to a point. I also like your analogy which enforces the point, however some might disagree and keep their material possessions (only joking girls)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Ive got eddies security system fitted , it has the flashing LED,s as a visual deterrent,i also have it parked with the ramps down and i have external door locks fitted ,from looking outside of the MH,it is quite clear that it has additional security added , i did consider malenco wheel clamps etc but i felt that it would be hassle to remove every time that we went away ,one of the main advantages that the moho has for me over my tugger ,is that i can be off and away without having to fluff about with stuff before i go.
having grown up in rough council estates in Scotland,i have known a few thieves , they used to laugh at crook locks etc and as for wheel clamps ,i can get one of those off within 60 seconds and i am not a thief
I honestly think that the best part of eddies system is the immobilliser , i have run foul of the growler and the immobilliser ,i started the moho last weekend and the phone rang within minutes id forgotten to do something then another time i tried to start it and it would not start, the phone rang to tell me that it was being nicked .id forgotten to disarm one of the systems ,obviously i dont know how good the tracker is versus the jammers available.

A flashing led is a great deterrent IMHO , the thief then knows that hes up against it

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I agree. However, bear in mind, that the better the equipment that's installed and the better the installer, installing the equipment is, the better/fewer people there around capable of defeating it.

It could never be a 100% guarantee! For example, if someone held a knife at my wife's throats and wanted something, they'd get it. Now this is an extreme and unlikely scenario I know, but enforces the point.

Some thieves can pick locks, so locking doors keeps all, but them, out! If you don't lock your doors, everyone can walk through.

Reducing your odds!
It would be secure with m:rofl:e
I'd keep stum

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Ive got eddies security system fitted , it has the flashing LED,s as a visual deterrent,i also have it parked with the ramps down and i have external door locks fitted ,from looking outside of the MH,it is quite clear that it has additional security added , i did consider malenco wheel clamps etc but i felt that it would be hassle to remove every time that we went away ,one of the main advantages that the moho has for me over my tugger ,is that i can be off and away without having to fluff about with stuff before i go.
having grown up in rough council estates in Scotland,i have known a few thieves , they used to laugh at crook locks etc and as for wheel clamps ,i can get one of those off within 60 seconds and i am not a thief
I honestly think that the best part of eddies system is the immobilliser , i have run foul of the growler and the immobilliser ,i started the moho last weekend and the phone rang within minutes id forgotten to do something then another time i tried to start it and it would not start, the phone rang to tell me that it was being nicked .id forgotten to disarm one of the systems ,obviously i dont know how good the tracker is versus the jammers available.

A flashing led is a great deterrent IMHO , the thief then knows that hes up against it
So in essence it's the flashing LED that you reckon the thief would be deterred by? Why not just have a flashing LED rather than the rest of it and save quite a few bib? I'm not knocking vanbitz by any stretch of the imagination but in your words it's the flashing LED that is the great deterrent.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back