Mar 18, 2012
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Riviera 1000
Exp
Virgin motorhomer
Hi John,when is the Carmarthen show?
Update on the van,had it back with body moulding resprayed in bright white all round,it looks much better-though tbh I wish I ad asked for grey to match the front bumper.Unfortunately one of the bumper corner trims was missing on its return.I cannot source one so it seems one will have to be made
I havnt had much time to do any more work on the van other than sussing out how everything works.I lt the fridge on gas ,the lame looked yellowy through the sightglass,got gas fire working,the burner needs a clean too,i did run my gas analyser to check for Carbon monoxide outside of the fire.non present.The water heater totally failed to light,i did a quick check on the electric supply....hmmm brown wire connected to a blue and vice versa.Tested polarity and was correct despite colour issues.Popped the board out and found a small glass fuse blown,I replaced this and tried again,this time I had sparking and a smell of butane but it wouldnt light.Thats a far as I got coz we got away last weekend to Cardigan and Tenby and this weekend we went to New Quay. We love it we are smitten.
!st journey the van ran great,I reckon its getting around 30 mgp though havnt done any proper calculations.I have found initial start up to be fume free but after about 30 secs a click from engine and a tone/tickover change results in smoke a plenty,this is quite thick until it starts rolling then clears nicely,Ihave ordered a set of glow plugs to hopefully cure the smoking.Temperature wise,the new thermostat asembly has had no effect on engine temperature,if the gauge is reading correctly the engine achieves little more than 60 or so degrees,the heaters are warm but not hot .I have ordered a new thermistor and relay assuming one of these is responsible.
Driving,I know its no spring chicken ,but it drives straight,brakes straight and the steering wheel is centred ,always a good sign eh...the steering is much lighter now with proper tyres and you soon get used to the lack of power assistance thanks to the nice big steering wheel.I am getting a wobble seemingly from the rear at around 40/50 mph worse on some surfaces than others ,I think the inner nearside cv joint may be at fault so a new one has been ordered.Im quite happy with the way it drives,even after driving my much newer more powerful works tranny,the lack of body roll impressed me i was expecting a barge.
I did splash out on some shiny chrome wheel trims,one fell off about 100yrds up the road on its 1st journey wearing them and got promptly driven over by a passing car.
Also added to job lists are led micro lighting,new carbon fibre work surfaces and a bit of leather here and there
All in all we are loveing it ,the overcab sleeping takes a little getting used to....esp the climbing drunk bit,but we reckon we have the motorhomers grin............we have been getting waves (and waveing back) from other owners....ahhhh tis like the olden days :)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Blimey. Quite some baptism. I was fortunate to have been made redundant and early-retired so was able to pay enough money to have something 'ready to wear' as my first van this year.

Hope all goes well, but it would make it easier for me and others if you broke your posts up a wee bit into paragraphs? With the best will in the world I found myself struggling to keep up after the 15th line of text...:Sad:

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Hi stuart & Donna:welcome: im newish on here to and joining MHfun was the best move ive made since getting our first MH a few weeks ago a very helpfull & friendly bunch.

were in Swansea maybe not far from ? you good luck . :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Hi Stuart and Donna. I'm a newbie too. Good luck with your motorhome. I don't suppose you have considered a blown head gasket for the heating /power problems?

OP
OP
B

Busterbulldog

Free Member
Mar 18, 2012
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Riviera 1000
Exp
Virgin motorhomer
Hi Mike,theres no reason to believe the head gaskets gone,oils good etc. Once ive got these jobs done mechanically i think it will be spot on
My next project is resurfacing the work surfaces,i think il start o this tonight,ive bought carbon fibre effect...unsure wether it will work or not but im gonna have a go
Ive also got a bout a dozen blue and white led light here which im planning on recessing in a few surfaces.I will take some before and after pics and see if i can ad them to my post

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Hi John,when is the Carmarthen show?
We're planning on getting there the evening of Friday 11th May although I believe the show starts the day before.

Glad you're making progress with your van - sounds like you've had plenty to do! :Eeek: By comparison I've had an easy ride, most of our problems have been elecrical - lights etc and had to replace a couple of Thetford hatches. However, I've loved pottering ::bigsmile:

Our other problem is lack of time - as they say, work is the curse of the drinking classes :ROFLMAO:

Carmarthen will be our very FIRST outing! We're looking forward to it too. Perhaps we'll meet up there? There's a thread on this forum I beleive about the Carmarthen Show.

Cheers

John

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
I had the same symptoms once in a car. The oil was OK, no signs of water, but sure enough the head gasket had gone. Carbon fiber work surfaces sounds good!

OP
OP
B

Busterbulldog

Free Member
Mar 18, 2012
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Riviera 1000
Exp
Virgin motorhomer
Cheers John will have a look at the Carmarthen show thread,we may well be able to get there.
Mike ,I dont think its gone,im gonna change the thermistor just on the grounds thats its original ,they dont tend to age well in my experience,if its the head gasket then I shall get it renewed or replace the engine.
I had an hour or 2 on the carbon fibre,1st i took the fridge door off,stripped the lower frame and was pleasantly surprised to find a slide out panel,i carbon fibred it and refiited....wow what a difference,it looks mint and modern in a stroke. I also did one small worktop,it compliments the wooden units nicely...fortunately we have a nice beech effect which hasnt dated badly at all.I also changed the drawer knobs with brushed nickle.

OP
OP
B

Busterbulldog

Free Member
Mar 18, 2012
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Riviera 1000
Exp
Virgin motorhomer
Well ive worked my guts out the last couple of days,my intention was to resurface the good condition but somewhat dated work surfaces. I was that impressed with the result on the sink surface that we decided to do all the doors and drawer fronts etc....at the moment im less than halfway through and have run out of carbon fibre (only bought enough for the worksurfaces) but the results are really nice,esp complimented with some shiny chequer plate.
I have taken some pics,before and during,would anyone be interested? Should i start a new thread? Has it all been done before and so i should shut up?

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Pics would be good! Where did you get the carbon fibre from, was it expensive, and is it self adhesive?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Pics would be good! Where did you get the carbon fibre from, was it expensive, and is it self adhesive?
It would have to be carbon fibre effect sticky backed vinyl. To fit real carbon fibre would cost a fortune and require the use of vacums, resin and autoclave ovens

There is loads of the sticky vinyl available from B&Q or online on EBay for about £7 a roll. from experience though, the fablon type looks great for a season or 2 then starts discolouring, shrinking and peeling when used in a motorhome. I have seen a few older motorhomes that had been tidied up for sale with this, and within months it started to peel due to heat and condensation. looked good when first done though

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Well ive worked my guts out the last couple of days,my intention was to resurface the good condition but somewhat dated work surfaces. I was that impressed with the result on the sink surface that we decided to do all the doors and drawer fronts etc....at the moment im less than halfway through and have run out of carbon fibre (only bought enough for the worksurfaces) but the results are really nice,esp complimented with some shiny chequer plate.
I have taken some pics,before and during,would anyone be interested? Should i start a new thread? Has it all been done before and so i should shut up?

We would love to see some photos, it's always interesting to see what the other Funsters are up to:thumb:
Margaret

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
hi stuart and donna ,welcome to the funsters.sounds like you have been very busy for a first timer .we are from swansea would love to meet and see the great job your doing ,where in south wales are u .welcome stuart and kathy.we will be in shrewsbury and stratford hope to see u both there.:thumb:

OP
OP
B

Busterbulldog

Free Member
Mar 18, 2012
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Riviera 1000
Exp
Virgin motorhomer
Hi, here are a few pics of our motorhome.....work in progress

2012_0427motorhome0015.jpg

Before....

Link Removed

2012_0427motorhome0009.jpg

Link Removed

After....

2012_0427motorhome0020.jpg

2012_0427motorhome0026.jpg

2012_0427motorhome0019.jpg

2012_0427motorhome0018.jpg

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Great, these look like you're doing a brilliant job:Smile:
There's a lot of hard work involved, but at least at the end you can stand back and admire your own handiwork:thumb:
Bill & Margaret

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
its looking good Donna and Stuart.
Nice chatting the chatroom last night

well done

maggie

OP
OP
B

Busterbulldog

Free Member
Mar 18, 2012
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Riviera 1000
Exp
Virgin motorhomer
its looking good Donna and Stuart.
Nice chatting the chatroom last night

well done

maggie

Thank you Maggie, it was a laugh in chatroom last night. Thanks for making us feel welcome.

Donna & Stuart

OP
OP
B

Busterbulldog

Free Member
Mar 18, 2012
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Riviera 1000
Exp
Virgin motorhomer
hi stuart and donna ,welcome to the funsters.sounds like you have been very busy for a first timer .we are from swansea would love to meet and see the great job your doing ,where in south wales are u .welcome stuart and kathy.we will be in shrewsbury and stratford hope to see u both there.:thumb:

Hi thanks for the warm welcome,we will be getting out and about but havnt made any plans as such yet,when you mention shrewsbury and stratford ,is there an event? Excuse the thickness

For those interested,yes its a self adhesive film,with a 12 yr guarantee,its self venting so impossible to get air bubbles.A nice finish is easily achievable,clean surfaces properly,fit film in warm environment then hairdryer to finish

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back