Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
I have boxes of LP`s in the loft and I would like to transfer them onto my PC. Has anyone any info about this, tempted to go with this www.vinyl-2-pc.co.uk seems reasonably priced and easy to use ,which is a high priority .

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Are you aware that Audacity, which is what they "sell" in the bundle, is totally free?

(Free on Windows and Mac - I use it on both).

It's really the hardware that you need. Probably a USB turntable would be a good idea.

Rog

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
I wouldn't say that Audacity is the best program to use if you want something simple.
I've been using it for years but there are programs like Link Removed that are much more user-friendly.

You can download a trial version and see whether you like it.

What turntable will you be using?

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I wouldn't say that Audacity is the best program to use if you want something simple.
I've been using it for years but there are programs like Link Removed that are much more user-friendly.

I agree, it has many features and requires that you get a bit of knowledge. Knowing just which feature to use and how can be daunting.

However, I find the Audacity community to be about the same as this forum: lotsa very helpful people. As it's open-source there are many people with a sense of ownership I suppose.

When all is said and done - the main point I was making is that Audacity is free, all they really offer seem to be a few cables and a CD with the software which could be downloaded anyway. If it was me, I would concentrate more on the turntable and cleaning the records properly. Poppys may be better off buying a really good cleaning kit and a good USB turntable. Who knows, the USB turntable may come with better software.

Rog

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I agree, it has many features and requires that you get a bit of knowledge. Knowing just which feature to use and how can be daunting.

However, I find the Audacity community to be about the same as this forum: lotsa very helpful people. As it's open-source there are many people with a sense of ownership I suppose.

When all is said and done - the main point I was making is that Audacity is free, all they really offer seem to be a few cables and a CD with the software which could be downloaded anyway. If it was me, I would concentrate more on the turntable and cleaning the records properly. Poppys may be better off buying a really good cleaning kit and a good USB turntable. Who knows, the USB turntable may come with better software.

Rog

the link in my post for the usb turntable at Maplins comes with software

the Audacity software will allow you to play the records at double time to speed up the transfer process. The USB turntable is compatible with any software that supports USB audio input sound cards. All you need to do is plug it into a spare USB port; no special drivers are required.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp

Rog

I agree with your agreement! :roflmto:

A USB turntable is the easy way to go.
Unfortunately, the USB turntables normally come with Audacity.

If price is an issue, though, a conventional turntable and one of these cables Link Removed is all that's needed.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
all that is required is a signal from your deck at line level, connected to line in on the sound card or maybe even to the microphone input. There could well be a line out socket on the deck anyway.
a pair of wires direct from the stylus to line in would do it. Audiocity is easy to use. and free, but there are a great many sound recording programs out there and you may have one already.

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
I think it is illegal to convert/copy your LP's onto your PC.

That said, I know that some people download from the internet music that they have on LP.

They reason that they have already paid for a licence to play the music and as long as they don't play the LP at the same time as the digital version then they are happy that they will not get into trouble.

All they are saving is the hassle of copying the music over themselves.

HTH

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
I think it is illegal to convert/copy your LP's onto your PC.

I don't believe so (I would look up the legal reference but...)

Making a back-up copy of DVDs, albums, games et c. is legal as long as both the original and the copy stay with you.

You couldn't copy your DVDs then give away the originals.

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
all that is required is a signal from your deck at line level, connected to line in on the sound card or maybe even to the microphone input. There could well be a line out socket on the deck anyway.
a pair of wires direct from the stylus to line in would do it.
I agree with Roger. I have converted several vinyl albums to digital using the headphone socket on the turntable and Audacity software - no need to buy expensive USB hardware. The software takes a bit of getting used to but produces good results IMHO

Phil

BTW You can also convert cassettes to digital using the same method

Last edited:

bigfish

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Eastleigh, Hants
Funster No
Exp
8 years, but had caravans & Tents before that
USB turn table best you can aford, should come with software.
but most of all:RollEyes::RollEyes:

LLLLL OOOOO AAAA DDDDD S & LLLLL OOOOO AAAA DDDD SSSS
Of time and something to stop the boredom, took me nearly 2 months to do mine, in between work and all the normal daily rubish.

Good job for the winter:thumb::thumb:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
The output from a traditional record deck is NOT at line level, but at a much lower level, and also depending on whether the phono cartridge is a moving coil or a moving magnet type. If you take this output into your PC via the sound card, all you will do is massively increase the noise level, because to get any sort of meaningful signal, you will have to boost the level to massive proportions, and consequently the noise floor level with it.

This is why on the input sockets of a normal amplifier, there is a specific RECORD DECK phono input, which routes the signal through a RIAA pre-amp stage. You can then take a LINE LEVEL signal from the TAPE OUT output sockets, or from the headphone outlet, where level may be controlled by the volume level pot.

Audacity is easy to master IMHO, and free.

Personally I prefer Adobe Audition, or Pro Tools for top-end work.

As in all things, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing

OP
OP
P

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
Thanks for all the replies :I do have a record deck and a old Sony separates system dating back to the early 8o`s.I can see from your replies that your a lot more computer literate than I am or want to be. I`m one of the unlucky ones that still works full time in a low paid job doing 12 hour shifts trying to find time for other interests /hobbies and family commitments etc. I want something that's as SIMPLE as rip-burn finish at a low cost and I thought that Link Removed seemed to fit the bill.
I`m sure that its not what you intended but some of the replies remind me of the old comedy sketch where the chap goes into the audio shop to buy a record player and the assistants start asking whether he wants woofers and tweeters etc and end up by saying" and a paper bag on your head":roflmto:

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi Poppys

I've planned for some time to get one of those Maplin turntables to convert my old stack.

I have a friend that lives in Delabole (I see you're in Cornwall). She comes past my place once a week, if you want I'll buy it and you're welcome to borrow it to produce the first stage of digital audio files (you will probably want to simply capture all your records onto something digital (e.g. MP3) after which you'll want to spend time with Audacity cleaning it up)

Let me know...

Rog

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Thanks for all the replies :I do have a record deck and a old Sony separates system dating back to the early 8o`s.I can see from your replies that your a lot more computer literate than I am or want to be. I`m one of the unlucky ones that still works full time in a low paid job doing 12 hour shifts trying to find time for other interests /hobbies and family commitments etc. I want something that's as SIMPLE as rip-burn finish at a low cost and I thought that Link Removed seemed to fit the bill.
I`m sure that its not what you intended but some of the replies remind me of the old comedy sketch where the chap goes into the audio shop to buy a record player and the assistants start asking whether he wants woofers and tweeters etc and end up by saying" and a paper bag on your head":roflmto:
lead a couple of quid, software free, as I said. Assuming you can plug a lead in the right place no other expertise required. If you are not bothered about saving a fiver or so just send me a cheque for the balance:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back