vintage cars lorries bikes etc

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by scammellmanswife, Feb 2, 2013.

1. scammellmanswife

scammellmanswife Funster

We like steam rallies as there is usually lots of old lorries, cars and bikes on show and it is a good opportunity to meet like minded people. There is usually a beer tent :beer: and some music to help make the week end a success regardless of our unpredictable weather :rain: Are there any more funsters out there that do this? mabe some 'old' lorry drivers.:driving2: If so which are your favorite shows.

• Like Like x 1
  2. buyer

buyer Funster - Life Member Life Member

We do, we go to rempstone in July ,Lincoln in August ,and Kettering in September.we love the laid back feeling of these steam fairs.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  3. pudseykeith

pudseykeith Read Only Funster

The Golden oldies

Hi Hilary
    I love all the mature vehicles. Have worked on most of them. I have grate affection for commers, qx and TS3s in particular. I am just finishing off a 54 convertable Sr 2 Morris Minor, a nut and bolt rebuild. We have owned it for over 25years. We are just waiting for a new interior from Newton Commercial. Intend to take it to the shows [if its not raining ] The car was built in 1953 and first taxed the same month that I started work as an apprentice motor machanic in 1954. It is black with a red hood and a leather magnollia interior. It should look stunning when complete.
    Judging from your avitar you have Scammell, machanical oss as we say up hear in the cold dark north. Never worked on the Scammell but had a lot of fun with Scammell couplings. He He He :Rofl1:
    Pudseykeith

• Like Like x 1
  4. scammellmanswife

scammellmanswife Funster

Sounds a great little car look forward to seeing it out and about soon then:thumb: We had an old commer walk thru years ago it was my introduction to motorhoming we went to wales and got caught up in hurricane charlie :helptitanic::Sad: Since then have had lots of old vehicles mostly big heavy stuff but they have nearly all gone now and just left with the 'hoss' and a fairly new aquasition a standard vanguard pick up 1954 which is quite rare apparently.

5. scammellmanswife

scammellmanswife Funster

Too right, great atmosphere have been to all of those and they are all good shows well worth a visit.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  6. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

Hi

I have done a few of these events and thought they were great. I particularly liked the Lincoln show, unfortunately this tends to clash with the Malvern MH show but in a lot of ways think it is better event to attend.

It would be good to have a fun rally at some of these events, all we need is someone to organise it.

Mike

• Like Like x 4
  7. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

I help out with running traction engines at steam shows up and down the country for a very serious collector. When I say serious, I mean he has loads of them.
    The rallies are, as you say, a good way to meet people and have a relaxing time having fun.
    I worked in heavy haulage for years and see lots of vehicles that I have driven or know well. Sunters, Wynns, Econofreight etc.

The beer tent is still my favouite attraction though :thumb: :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Hi scammellmanswife, Commer Ts3, by the cringe that takes me back, what a bloody noisy thing that was.

I did my apprenticeship on Rootes Group vehicles and though we were a Commer dealer the largest I ever worked on besides the council slide-side dust cart was the walk-thru.

As regards shows, the only one I ever visit is the Dorset Steam Fair and it is great.

I'd love a close up look of your three wheeled Scammell 'Scarab' if I remember correctly, they were last used down in Salisbury by Red Star Parcels on British Rail.
    :thumb:

9. pudseykeith

pudseykeith Read Only Funster

hi Hilary. Sorry for a slow reply. you are right a vagard pick up must be rare indeed. Have never seen one. Is it a manufactured one or a chopped example.
    In the past I had a 1949 Triumph TR 1 [The one with dicky seats] This had a vangurd ,engine and gear box with a column change. not shure about the rear axel. It wanted a unafordabe steering box so had to sell her.Good look with her rebuild.

Pudseykeith :thumb:

10. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

I remember watching this years ago, and gave some good info on the scarab. I dare say Scammelmanswife has probably seen it, but fascinating for others.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y93t44AhsEQ"]salvage squad the scammell part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g24GhKPkH30"]salvage squad the scammell part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Detnor

Detnor Funster

Steam events do seem to have a habit of clashing with other things.
    There is the steam and vintage fair at Castle Combe racetrack. Avon group of the MCC always put a rally on, you get parked up around the track. Mainly stationary engines, tractors and some cars but one of those nice rallies.

This year it is May 17-19th, the same as the Newbury Show.

12. scammellmanswife

scammellmanswife Funster

standard vanguard pick up phase 2

Actually we took the easy option and bought it fully restored :Smile: but are very appreciative of people like yourselves who put in hours and hours of work to help preserve these lovely old vehicles. We believe it was exported in 1953 in crates and assembled in Australia. It then returned to the uk in 2005 in a semi restored condition. We aquired the vehicle in july 2011 and it has been to several shows since.:driving2: Hopefully we will be out and about with it again this year and fingers crossed fo some decent weather! :sin:

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      101.5 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 2
  13. peterandclare

peterandclare Read Only Funster

keep it going

Great to see an old Scarab being kept alive.

Much more relevant and important than yet another perfectly presented MGB, Healy 3000 or E type beautiful though they may be.

Keep it going you guys and thanks from the rest of us for the good work!

Pete

14. Silkcut1105

Silkcut1105 Funster Life Member

netley marsh was always a good steam rally ,used to go every year follow this link.www.nmscs.org.uk

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  15. meanders

meanders Funster - Life Member Life Member

We go to the Henham Steam rally in Suffolk every year with CC and thoroughly enjoy it. We have a Triumph Herald that we have had for over 20 years now but we don't take that as it is now in need of some tlc as it is some years since we did any work on it.
    We love going to Henham as it is very relaxing and a reminder of a more laid back life style.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

I guess I am one of those "old" lorry drivers, whilst I didn't drive one as in your signature, British rail used them, I did drive one of the old Pickford type scammel, it had (hard to remember) at least 2 levels of reverse gear, and about 10 other gears.

At the time it was common for the driver to take the unit home and use it for transport backwards and forwards to work, at the weekend I would quite often go shopping in it :Smile::thumb:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  17. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

one weekend not to be missed is the Llandudno Victorian Extravaganza at the beginning of May, most streets are filled with fairground rides and steam engines. A shuttle bus runs to the show fields where there are old wagons, buses, cars, vans, motorbikes, campervans and a very large autojumble area where you can source old parts and tools. There is a camp site close by called Dinarth Hall, Rhos-on-sea, LL28 4PX, early booking there would be advisable. If you attempt to travel from Ryl on the coast road you will need to allow at least an hour and a half as the road is usually grid locked during the day. It's one show not to be missed.

• Like Like x 2
  18. scammellmanswife

scammellmanswife Funster

Was it one of these Bill ?

Attached Files:

19. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Very similar but only one rear axle, but nearly the same size.....Ah! Memories!!

The radiator was about as tall as me (6ft) with a clock on the top so you could see the water temp. Wooden floor and if you tried to go forward in the low low first gear the front wheels would lift off he floor. Didn't think they were happy day then......but I do now :thumb::Smile:

20. scammellmanswife

scammellmanswife Funster

Scammell MU

Mabe this one then Bill !:Smile: Its got the gauge on the front i think some refer to it as the coffee pot scammell. This vehicle belonged to a good friend of ours in Derbyshire and was only sold recently. Its gone to join the fair!!

Attached Files: