Vignettes.

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Snowbird, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

We have to drive out to the Sunny Beach area of Bulgaria in early spring with the CAR. Having checked on the net am more than a little confused regarding vignettes for Austria, Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria. Will I need vignettes for a car in transit or not. I plan setting the TomTom to use no toll roads but there seems to be some confusion regarding road taxes. Anyone any info on this.

2. 1948

1948 Read Only Funster

3. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

The Vignettes for Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria are compulsory for all roads as far as I'm aware. At any rate they are so cheap they're worth having. Romania and Hungary use an ANPR based systems (no physical Vignette required) so its worth checking your reg number against the receipt given and having it in a written form to hand over at the border.

The Austrian Vignette is just for Motorways / Expressways - but these are excellent and probably difficult to avoid if you are travelling from Germany to Hungary.

It's worth having Euro's ready for the vignette. We were low on currency so withdrew some Hungarian currency to pay for our Romania vignette only to discover only Euro's (or Romania Leu) was accepted at the Romanian border.

4. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of going Austria, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria. That way I stay in the EU even though it is a little further,it saves green card insurance issues. Has anyone ever done the other routes, am not bothered about the Italy/Greek ferry as we are in the car and not the motorhome so would have to book a cabin on the ferry.

5. The Dude

The Dude Funster

Can only comment on Austria. Vignettes available at services - get one as soon as you can - we were stopped by police for speeding and didn't have one - they fined us for speeding (reasonable really!) but let us off for the 100 euros fine for not having a vignette. Got one at next services - think it only cost 10 euros.