LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We have to drive out to the Sunny Beach area of Bulgaria in early spring with the CAR. Having checked on the net am more than a little confused regarding vignettes for Austria, Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria. Will I need vignettes for a car in transit or not. I plan setting the TomTom to use no toll roads but there seems to be some confusion regarding road taxes. Anyone any info on this.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The Vignettes for Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria are compulsory for all roads as far as I'm aware. At any rate they are so cheap they're worth having. Romania and Hungary use an ANPR based systems (no physical Vignette required) so its worth checking your reg number against the receipt given and having it in a written form to hand over at the border.

The Austrian Vignette is just for Motorways / Expressways - but these are excellent and probably difficult to avoid if you are travelling from Germany to Hungary.

It's worth having Euro's ready for the vignette. We were low on currency so withdrew some Hungarian currency to pay for our Romania vignette only to discover only Euro's (or Romania Leu) was accepted at the Romanian border.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of going Austria, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria. That way I stay in the EU even though it is a little further,it saves green card insurance issues. Has anyone ever done the other routes, am not bothered about the Italy/Greek ferry as we are in the car and not the motorhome so would have to book a cabin on the ferry.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Can only comment on Austria. Vignettes available at services - get one as soon as you can - we were stopped by police for speeding and didn't have one - they fined us for speeding (reasonable really!) but let us off for the 100 euros fine for not having a vignette. Got one at next services - think it only cost 10 euros.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back