Vignette

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jackomet, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Jackomet

Jackomet Read Only Funster

Hi
    Are vignettes for Austria and Switzerland only needed for motorways and express ways, so if you keep to the "B" road equivalents they are not required?
    JK

2. tommytli

tommytli Funster

i think thats right, it is in austria anyway

3. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

It is in Austria ..
    Switzerland is a bit of a con.. most of the entry points are on what the swiss have called main routes.. As such, the moment you pass through border control you are in violation unless you have a vignette

And do not forget.. if you have so much as a small box trailer you will need a vignette for that too.. So about £35 to £40 for a half days use of their roads

My best advice ?
    Avoid Switzerland like the plague.
    Very pretty place but by the cringe, it makes living in the UK seem VERY cheap

As a by the by, why do we not charge the Swiss to use our motorways ?

Easy enough to catch em as they come in the country via ports and the tunnel

4. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

I do know that in Austria the police stand at entry ramps on motorway service areas looking to see if your vignette is in the window.

In Switzerland they stop you at most of the border crossings and you have to pay. Yes, there are entry points where they don't check.

I think you have to decide whether or not you want to take the gamble. I do not know what the fine is for a transgression but I expect it is severe.