Views sort motorcycle trailer (2 Viewers)

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
I too considered one of these as I do not want to tow a trailer. However, my main reservation is rear tyre wear. If you are going a few miles then it would not matter, but if intend to go to the South of France then the rear tyre will be nicely squared off by the time you come back.

Vic

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I would gave thought that this is classed as a trailer and as such the bike should have working lights, possibly the brakes should be operational and the bike should carry the tow vehicles registration number - or am I mistaken?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
the other thing to consider is that the towed vehicle/trailer has brakes fitted they have to be used therefore making this illegal as your bike has brakes

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I too considered one of these as I do not want to tow a trailer. However, my main reservation is rear tyre wear. If you are going a few miles then it would not matter, but if intend to go to the South of France then the rear tyre will be nicely squared off by the time you come back.

Vic
Why ? there will be no torque laid down to the rear tyre so, providing the rear brake isn't binding, wear would be very minimal and, as the steering geometry will be exaggerated due to the front wheel being so high, the bike will actually lean into corners...maybe not as much as when being ridden but lean it will.

this is all immaterial any way as the bike becomes a trailer when sat on the hitch and the law states if brakes are fitted they must be operative, regardless of vehicle weight.
hard enough to get right on a car....impossible on a bike.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Much less bovver wiv a ovver no wheels on the ground so no need for brakes might hang out a bit on corners but keep the buggers away from your mirrors as they swerve to miss you.:ROFLMAO:

What do recon could this be the new thing to tow?:whatthe:

All the best Rick.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I would have real concerns

Legality issues on this would make it a non starter. .. I tow a small trailer with my disabled scooters and wheelchair.. I find many a time cars try and cut in behind me with out really seeing the trailer. I would think this would be similar... I have signs in the front screen saying towing, but still happens, and I think towing this way would be a risk... How do you put a light board on a motorbike towed like this? So at night one hell of a risk.. My trailer is lit up like a Christmas tree but I still get issues.

Bob:Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
how you gonna get this lot on a motorbike.....:roflmto:

All trailers must have fitted:
  • Two red sidelights.
  • Two red stoplights.
  • Two red reflective triangles.
  • An illuminated number plate.
  • Amber indicators (designed to flash between 60-120 times per minute).
  • A warning buzzer or flashing light in the cab that confirms when indicators are in use.
All trailers built after September 30th 1990 also require:
  • White front reflectors.
and if you say 'lightboard' how are you gonna fix it to the bike so it doesnt fly off at speed ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Agree with previous posters who point out the problems of being legal AND safe ..

Interestingly, the vendor says this on his site .. so he either knows it's not legal or doesn't know trailer regs.

THE LAW STATES THAT THE TOWED VEHICLE,IN THIS CASE,THE MOTOR BIKE NEEDS TO BE INSURED,MOTED AND TAXED,ALSO WITH A REGISTRATION BOARD AND LIGHTS.

and

THIS DEVISE HAS THE SAME USES AND LEGALITY AS THE WELL KNOW AND ESTABLISHED CAR DOLLY/A-FRAME

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have double of everything on my trailer

how you gonna get this lot on a motorbike.....:roflmto:

All trailers must have fitted:
  • Two red sidelights.
  • Two red stoplights.
  • Two red reflective triangles.
  • An illuminated number plate.
  • Amber indicators (designed to flash between 60-120 times per minute).
  • A warning buzzer or flashing light in the cab that confirms when indicators are in use.
All trailers built after September 30th 1990 also require:
  • White front reflectors.
and if you say 'lightboard' how are you gonna fix it to the bike so it doesnt fly off at speed ?

Knowing how easy it is for bulb to go on a trailer I have double of everything on the trailer plus white lights facing forward .. Often I fill this is noteven enough.. I also have continental speed limit signs, and duet the size oftherig the required reflective boards across the trailer.

Bob:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Agree with previous posters who point out the problems of being legal AND safe ..

Interestingly, the vendor says this on his site .. so he either knows it's not legal or doesn't know trailer regs.

and

or he is correct and it has the same function and legality of an A frame/dolly......ie: for recovery to a place of safety only by a recognised recovery company.

but then, no company is going to say in there advertising "this equipment is not road legal"...are they :Doh:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
or he is correct and it has the same function and legality of an A frame/dolly......ie: for recovery to a place of safety only by a recognised recovery company.

but then, no company is going to say in there advertising "this equipment is not road legal"...are they :Doh:

On motorways...anywhere else you are fine. Unbraked are limited to 40mph.

All laws aside....wouldn't fancy towing something that small behind! You won't have a clue what is going on

There was these little trolley things, that gave a platform at the rear and attached to the towbar/chassis that use aircraft tyres. I will have a little look!:thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
This is similar, and probably more suitable.

Link Removed

The wheel takes the weight, so does not strain the tow hitch - no brakes required, as it is attached to the vehicle (not the tow ball!) Easy for moving and reversing as it goes where the vehicle goes, no worries with watching a trailer - just remember the extra swing! - and it floats, so gradients are not a problem.

The one I saw originally, had a wheel each side, and was made for cars - like a dolly, but bypassed all the laws as it is attached to the vehicle. A guy I was chatting to online years ago bought one because of the agro he was getting about dollies. Looked pretty cool!

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Putting aside all the issues such as light etc which can be overcome

I looked at these a few years ago and was put off by the fact that it is almost impossible to reverse them ( despite the manufacturers claim ) ( didn't show a reversing manouvre in their video.

They are very popular in America and the general opinion is that if you find yourself needing to reverse then you need to get out, un hitch the bike then re mount it once you are ready to move forward .

The lock on the bikes steering is limited and it is very easy to to do irrepairable damage to the bike if you get it wrong,.

I bought a trailer for my BMW and an easy lifter for the scooter. Both brilliant

Hope this helps

Neil

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
I don't know about the one you have shown, I did see once over either on here or EBay I cant remember which, but the bike went on sideways, The smaller trailer had two tow ball fittings, so reversing was no problem has it acted like an extension to the MH,It was shown on the video reversing into a parking spot with no trouble at all ,It was braked so will be legal abroad. Pete :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back