Vide Grenier/Car Boot sales in France (1 Viewer)

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
If you are a car boot sale enthusiast then France is the place to go for fab boot sales.

They don't have private boot sales like here - rather, they are organised by local communities, well in advance and sellers have to book in advance.
They will usually have hog roasts and tents with food and drinks served at midday.
They usually start at 6am and go on all day until 6pm though that can vary.
They will take up whole streets or areas of a town or village and can be from 50 sellers to 200 or more (think Lille!)

Here is a website that gives you all the "vide greniers", "bracantes" ets for each region of France:
http://brocabrac.fr/

Amazing bargains to be had!!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The Braderie de Lille in early September is the entire city centre barred to traffic, around 40kms of stall frontage for two days solid with everything from Car Boot cast offs and cheap Chinese tat to high end antiques, and around 2.5 million extra people in the city. Biggest flea market (Marche au Puce) in Europe and MH parking near to Metro stations is a bloody nightmare, with very few campsites nearby. Aires are shut down. Best option we found was street parking out near the Cinque Cantons Metro stop, but be aware there's a few long term traveller encampments in the vicinity.

Another good flea market is Waterloo (Belgium) on a Sunday morning in the Carrefour car park.

On Koningsdag (King's Day) in the Netherlands they have a Vrijmarkt (which is basically a nationwide car boot sale) in the morning. They spend the afternoon and evening dressed in orange and partying.

Brocantes as a general rule tend towards antiques and collectables (ie dealers), whereas Vide Greniers (literally 'empty attics') are more like car boots for families. Brocante prices vary regionally, a bit like they do in this country. The prices in Biarritz are hideous compared to those in Lille.

All good fun. I get my best bargains from the men with the white box vans who lay loads of cardboard boxes of house clearance stuff out in rows. As a general rule if the seller has a fairly sturdy gazebo it's bad news as they're probably a regular dealer.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I love these sales. I can't buy much though. Sadly. I have no where to keep stuff now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We love them! I don't think we've ever bought anything except food and drink LOL - but the atmosphere is brilliant!

OP
OP
ojibway

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
The Braderie de Lille in early September is the entire city centre barred to traffic, around 40kms of stall frontage for two days solid with everything from Car Boot cast offs and cheap Chinese tat to high end antiques, and around 2.5 million extra people in the city. Biggest flea market (Marche au Puce) in Europe and MH parking near to Metro stations is a bloody nightmare, with very few campsites nearby. Aires are shut down. Best option we found was street parking out near the Cinque Cantons Metro stop, but be aware there's a few long term traveller encampments in the vicinity.

I don't think I'd like such a large sale - a bit overwhelming!
But the little village and town sales are great fun and a lovely atmosphere.
Braderie, rederie, vide grenier, marche au puces - all seem the same to me - a mixture of dealers, fresh produce and private sellers. They raise money for the community.

I never knew anyone collected champagne bottle cork metal caps but the French sure do!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I don't think I'd like such a large sale - a bit overwhelming!

By 1pm you can't see the stalls for people - it's quite tiring but it's worth going at least once. In all honesty I picked up as much good stuff in three hours at Waterloo as I did in two mornings at Lille and I didn't have to walk for miles either. I'll give them all a go.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
We have one every year in our village. Aug 11th this year.
High proportion are dealers but quite a few villagers or nearby ones.
For the most part it is stuff I would feel guilty to admit to owning. Should be in a skip rather than on a stall.
But it's still fun looking and every now and then there's a little gem - but you have to be quick for them.

OP
OP
ojibway

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
We have one every year in our village. Aug 11th this year.
High proportion are dealers but quite a few villagers or nearby ones.
For the most part it is stuff I would feel guilty to admit to owning. Should be in a skip rather than on a stall.
But it's still fun looking and every now and then there's a little gem - but you have to be quick for them.
Quite right about the 'rubbish' but you'll find that here too, especially in our 'charity shops'!
But, if you are lucky you can find some great items - like our wine glasses; six very nice quality, modern glasses for 2euros!

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Love a boot sale ! Bought up as a ragamuffin on a ragamuffin estate means I have to have a wee nosey round ! Hardly ever buy anything but the odd item old or decorative is what I like. Bought an old quality pigeon timer clock for 5 nicker and it sits on the downstairs loo window sill. Everyone loves it wants it and asks what it is . (y)

Also love the many open air markets in France. Great quality fresh food and local. Cant beat it..

Now wheres the keys !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back