Vicarious Books - No Joke

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by FullTimeDreamer, Jan 16, 2010.

1. FullTimeDreamer

FullTimeDreamer Read Only Funster

Seems I am not the only one to have suffered from the very poor customer service from this company Vicarious Books that I find so rude its a wonder how they are still in business. There have been some moans here when they sent a rude email to people.

I have just been reading on another forum that after someone complained that they had been treated badly with a thread entitled Vicarious Books, what a Joke. and the Forum owner was told to remove the remarks after legal threats. :Eeek:

I understand the pressure on Forum owners and will understand if this post has to be deleted,and I apologise in advance, however I do believe that poor customer service should be made public so others are warned what to expect and that business owners are encouraged to improve the way they treat customers :Smile:

2. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

Simple solution to this is for folk to 'vote with their feet'......but it would seem they are either too timid to do so, or have masochistic tendencies which draws them back year in year out.

You are right....people should be made aware of bad customer service if the complaints are justifiable. If the company concerned doesn't like complaints about them on a forum board.....stick it on newsgroups which reach a far wider circle of people.

3. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

When I made a query I was told by some one who came across as a jumped up little snotnosed girl child that 'if I did not like it I could always go elsewhere.'
    I did !!

I had a standing order for the ACSI book, card and CD
    Cancelled the CD and intend going elsewhere for the book and card next year

I shall also make a point of visiting one of their stands at a show, accompanied by some one who may be hard of hearing..
    I shall look briefly at the wares, look up, and announce to my hard of hearing friend.. Oh no.. not these people.. these are the ones everyone seems to be talking about with the very poor service !!
    Of course, as they are hearing challenged ( LOL ) I shall have to speak in a loud voice and quite possibly repeat myself a few times

:Smile: !!!!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I'm awaiting the DVD bought direct from the Netherlands. After this year's conduct with the book that too will come direct next year.

I once offered a suggestion on how to improve their not brilliant aires book - just add page numbers to area maps to easily locate the next region. It was like I'd suggested his wife was sleeping with every randy sailor in Portsmouth. They are nothing if not consistant.

Not so brilliant because probably half of the aires was no more than a line naming the town. Some were decent listings with pictures. Then, as far as I remember, at the back a request for more pictures so it was *us* who provided the data FOC. It may be better now but I get the impression off the forum/s the French book is much better.

5. tonybrightspark

tonybrightspark Read Only Funster

A few weeks ago I popped into the Folkestone shop and picked an ACSI and an Aires de France book and am surprised at the comments on service. I was treated with respect and not bluntly as described, and no I don't work for Vicarious.

tonybrightspark

6. hilldweller

Is that the standard telephone/internet effect ? Many people take on a totally different persona when not face to face. Particularly so when in a motorcar.

7. JayDee

JayDee Funster

Hi Brian,
    You may have a point there. I have seen all the bad press about Vicarious Books and been somewhat surprised. The couple of times I've talked to them (on the phone) they've been quite reasonable and not at all stroppy. No e-mail communication other than the promotional stuff. There may well be somebody on their team who needs a bit of 'customer interface' training. But if, as you imply (re Aires), they already think they're perfect, it's not likely to happen.

John

8. tonybrightspark

tonybrightspark Read Only Funster

A possibility Brian

Tony

9. keith

keith Funster

Only ever bought one book from them, All the Aires of Spain & Portugal, ordered before we left UK & I forgot to tell Chris where to send it. I emailed him & although he said he couldn't be sure of finding my order he was able to find it & it appeared at the camp site in Spain.

My experience has been good, just to balance the comments.

I did think it was a bit cheeky to ask readers to let him know of any he had missed.

I would think at the rate the Portugese are opening aires it must be difficult to keep up with them.

10. jacken

jacken Read Only Funster

I can only speak as I find. I live in the same town as Vicarious and am in the shop quite often and buy many books from them. I have aways had excellent service from them and am always welcomed, even when not buying anything.

ken

11. mikel

mikel Read Only Funster

Who else sells the ACSI book/card ?

12. FullTimeDreamer

FullTimeDreamer Read Only Funster

13. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I have had good and bad service from Vicarious books-

The good- received the book practically straight away,

The Bad- asked for aires to be sent to them with photos if possible. DOne so, (loads missing) not even a thankyou even though I pointed it out at one of the shows. The whole concept of all the aires is excellent, I just wished it would of been thought up by a forum so that people could of added to it along with continual reviews.:Wink:

14. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

We do a range of Camping Site Books, if they are as good as the blurb says, should be a good alternative, must have a read when I am next down at the dealership:Eeek:

Peter

15. bevo

bevo Read Only Funster

vicarous books

iv'e had nothing but exellent service from these people and will be ordering again for next year.
    recieved the 2010 copy on 8th december, great service.
    they did send an e mail saying that the books had been sent, and they had made a mistake and sent two copies to some people.
    perhaps these were pissed off they had to send the extra copy back or pay twice.

16. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

I too have had nothing but excellent service from Vicarious books. I have bought from them on a number of occasions over the last 3 years, they have always delivered as promised and the books / DVD's I have bought have (in my view) been very good.

I was surprised to hear the reports of poor service and thought it important to highlight that they are certainly not all bad.

17. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

It is so very strange !!
    It seems the company def suffers a split personality

I have only ordered on line and spoke on the telephone to them

Whilst delivery was spot on the date expected, every single time I have spoken to them on the telephone I was spoken down to in a very unpleasent way and ( thinking back ) I suspect always the same girl / woman !
    There is the point that they may well be suffering cloning.. No, not sci fi or nutty.
    You get a girl who knows it all, is stroppy with customers and generally an evil nasty little thing to deal with ( Amazing how often they turn out to be the boss's daughter or similar ! )

The firm takes on new personnel who is then 'shown the ropes' by said nasty bit of work.
    They adopt the same attitude and way of speaking to customers, so the problem is perpetuated

Reading the above posts it seems those buying/speaking with 'the man' himself or indeed in person dealings, have nary a problem, those, like me, dealing with telephone staff have nothing but bad experiences and the urge to never use them again !

18. patr

patr Read Only Funster

We have used VB for a number of years and have found them to be very professional and courteous.

Their turnaround time from order to delivery is excellent. When the binding problems with the first "All the Aires" book surfaced they contacted me ( I hadn't noticed any problem), sent a replacement book and asked me to pop the old one in a pre-paid envelope. I have never known a firm to act in such a positive and trustworthy manner.

I thought that was exceptional service and I would not hesitate to use them in the future.
    Top firm in my opinion.

19. hilldweller

That is in contrast to "We know we sent you a second copy so if you don't return it we will take payment for it".

Attitude poor.

Legality poor.

20. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I have always had a good service from Vicarious-
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    --