Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
My dog has a bit of arthritis in a front leg, the vet today was singing the praises of a particular drug which was going to cost me £86 for a three month supply. The vet looked down her nose when I said I would think about it, she told me that the dog needs it so there is nothing to think about!! I Just sourced the exact same brand name drug, in date till 2012 for £41. Took great delight in telling her too::bigsmile:

Does your vet take the 'P' that much?

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
My dog has a bit of arthritis in a front leg, the vet today was singing the praises of a particular drug which was going to cost me £86 for a three month supply. The vet looked down her nose when I said I would think about it, she told me that the dog needs it so there is nothing to think about!! I Just sourced the exact same brand name drug, in date till 2012 for £41. Took great delight in telling her too::bigsmile:

Jim, if your dog still needs it after I come back from my trip PM the name etc. and I could probably buy it for you here for pounds 20

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Hi

Yes, the vet I use most definately takes the p***.

When one of my dogs Buster wasn't well I took him to the vet and she said that his glands at the back of his legs were up and suggested he may need a biopsy on these glands as he may have a lymphoma.

I said I would wait and see whether the second course of antibiotics would help first. After a short while I felt the glands in his legs and they had gone down.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with him, but she put it in my mind that he may have lymphoma and frightened the life out of me, as he is only a young dog.

Also whenever I take any of them to the vets the vet always want me to bring them back in a weeks time to check on their progress.

I usually make the appointment and then cancel as I am quite capable of knowing whether my own dog is getting better and I do not need to pay the vet a further £20 for her to tell me that he is recovering.

Most definatley only out to line their own pockets in my view.

Lesley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Johno

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
Kent
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30+ with caravanning & camping
Hi Jim
I have heard good reports about a product called Joint Aid for canine joint and arthritis problems I believe it is a glucosamine type supplement in granule form that is sprinkled over the pooches food, also a farmer friend of mine gave his Jack Russel a dose of Calpol on his food every night on his vet's recommendation, I guess this helped the discomfort and inflammation.
Some years ago it was made illegal to prescribe human medication for animals and as a consequence you've guessed it up went the cost of animal only medication.
Oh yes I have just paid out nearly £500 to have a bladder stone removed from one of our dogs Ouch !!!, but to be fair to the vet he did warn us that pugs are high maintenance dogs but having had the breed for over twenty years we just can't get out of the habit.

John.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Jim.

Have you tought of a copper chain coller. I have worn a copper chain round my wrist for years for arthritis result of years riding motor bikes. Once while working as a service eng. a customer asked if it worked, I said it did for me but did not work for everyone. On visiting again some months later he said he had tried a copper chain on an elderly Great Dane and that it had had worked a treat. :thumb:

Worth a try a bit cheaper than pills and if it works better than drugs.

Dave

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
One way and another Bruno operation has cost nearly £3000 glad I am insured.

What does annoy me though is insured flashes up on their screen whenever they check his notes.

The operation has helped him greatly though as he can get breath but not fully.

At present be lost without him.

alf

Free Member
Apr 7, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Johno since when have vets stopped prescribing human medication for pets,
our vet does it all the time although he does ask which you prefer when there is a choice the pet medication always costs more.

at present 2 x 28 tabs from vets £38.00.
on a vets prescription ( for free ) identical tablets ( same box same manufacturer ) from chemists £ 18.20.
Regards Alf

Johno

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
Kent
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30+ with caravanning & camping
Hello Alf
About ten years ago my vet at at that time informed me that legislation was about to be passed prohibiting the use of human presribed drugs for animals, whether or not this was fact I can only guess, but since then I have only been able to get animal specific medication from the vets we use although they have advised me from time to time of over the counter products that can be used. Maybe I got it wrong and it was animal products that couldn't be prescribed for humans as I was suffering from hardpad and distemper at the time.
Or could it be another case of vets taking the P--- .

John

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992

Hi, Jim we were in a similar position recently, but went on the internet and found loads of "Dog Health " sites. Plenty of info from pet owners with their own stories and how they've sorted all kinds of problems out. We did and it cost us (well the ins .co)£1000 when ,if we'd gone on the net first -nothing as it was a dietry thing.
Dave:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
vte fee's

Hi Jim
Our vet in France prescribed for our old chocolate Labrador for his joints (that was very bad and could not lift the back end up, over 1 year ago) now walking around a little stiff but does not seem in any pain like before

METACAM 100ml at the rate of 3ml per day for 6 days a week
Cost of the Metacam 55 euros and lasted 33 days (1.66 euros per day)
+ 3 Glucosamine tablets for dogs (not sure what he charged for the Glucosamine from the vets) as we now buy the from Healthspan Glucosamine for animals..vetsvits flexi-joints on the internet, A lot cheaper than the vets, both these items have made a big difference to the joints of a very old Labrador.
But now vet tells us (last week ) there is a generic brand called MELOXIVET 150ml cost 60 euros at the rate of 3ml this will last for 55 days (1.09euros per day) so it is a little cheaper (brand made by Janssen animal health, Belgium)
I do not know it this is of any help to you but it looks like all Vets, in all countries make a lot of money on medicines.

Jim..... what was the drug your vet prescribed

Mel
A pleasant French peasant born in Yorkshire now living in France

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back