Vet Bills (1 Viewer)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
My eldest daughter is training to be a vet (in her 3rd year) and i can assure you all they are not well paid. After 5 years training they start low 20's. A senior vet is the mid 30's. They all run around in old cars and don't have a wealthy lifestyle. You can make money but only when you buy into a practice. She is affiliated with a local vets practice at the moment for holiday work experience. In this practice to become a partner costs 180k, which most vets take on as a morgage. One of the partners asked her how much profit (which is how the partners are paid) from a £130 bill. She guessed £35, i was surprised to hear that it was £2 ! The medicine is very expensive and running costs etc. When a non partner vet is on call at the weekend that vet only gets £10 for being called out. No hourly rate and if the call is 5 hours on a farm in the middle of the night tough still only £10.

Since the age of 16 all her holidays were taken with gaining experience, she needed over 20 weeks before she could even get an interview and straight A's. So this has been a long slog and every holiday is taken up with 'work experience' on farms nad in pratice.

Most people become a vet for the job and not definately not he money. :-(

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
yes I read somewhere recently just how poorly paid vets were. Also have a very high rate of suicide compared with other occupations. To become a vet you used to need 3 straight A's in your A levels and competition was quite tough to.

Tara costs £25 pm to insure but seeing as she is a large breed and having seen what the costs can be when things go wrong I won't stop paying. She has had a couple of infection previously and the costs ran in to £150+ for anti biotics alone. My insurance wasn't worth claiming on as the excess was £100 but i dare to think what may happen if she needed a big op, might and hope it never happens but worth the money.

And who could not forget Road Runner Johns big Boy Bruno. He had a flash policy and boy did that insurance company cop it for poor bruno when he was unwell over the last few years of his life. :cautious:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Yes i had also heard about the suicide rate, next are dentists. Can't quite remember the numbers but i think it was a 1 in 20 chance of getting a place. Also you are competing with equally committed students. It is the toughest course to get onto if you are female. In my daughters course of 130 students only 10 are male! They got excepted without as much work experience and in some case slightly lower grades. They need male vets to balance it all out.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Same here .Knee deep in vets that can't get jobs. Last one I spoke to doing relief work at our vets was joining the Seprona section of the Guardia Civil.
In fact where I worked in Devon the veterinary practice that basically ran the abattoir & meat production plant employed mainly Female Spanish vets & that was from about 1995 up until I moved here in 2002.
The senior Spanish on site vet was head-hunted by DEFRA in 1999. £70k +car ,etc was offered.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Took my beloved Harry in when he was poisoned.

Got the bill a few weeks later......
£781.17.....Inc £130 euthanasia and £95 cremation fee.

550 odd quid for "in house" blood tests!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
A couple of months back our little cat Scruffy cost the best part of £1000 in a week or so.

Sadly that included the cremation costs:(

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Beats me why animals need so many boosters yet humans don't.

I had a tetanus about 8 years ago..
No mention of returning annually, just need a booster in a couple of years.

MMR jab....Once in a lifetime.

Dogs...Usual jabs and kennel cough annually.
Fleas and ticks...at least annually.

Rip off vets and kennels as much to blame.

Over vaccinated in my mind.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
tell me about it..

had our two at the vet for rabies jabs for Pets Passport.. £200 (they already have micro- chips or that would have been another £100 )

while there the vet said they needed their other booster jabs.. £60 each .. = £120 (return visit for them)

total for a 15 min visit = £320 ..

I left feeling I'd been mugged..

Jim just had my two done for pet passport £70 each including rabies jab. Phoned around and prices for passport varies most expensive quote I got was £120 per dog. Worst thing was they couldn't find one of the microchips do had to have another chip inserted. Whilst there got their prescriptions for advocat.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
too late now.. had them done..

the vaccine used was Rabisin.. (I have the data leaflet) .. and he specifically said it had to be boosted next year.

no wonder we don't trust vets..

Jim
Same vaccine as mine. Looked into it
on line as I thought it should be either two or three years. It said after first vaccine another needed a year later and then every three years.

Sonja

Box Boy

Free Member
Jul 3, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Globecar Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Our cat Gromit wandered into our house when young 6 years ago. We found she had given birth to a dead kitten in the green house. Off to the vet to give her the once over after neighbours would not admit to ownership.
Vet said ' Why not take her on?' - So we did. :love::love: No Pet insurance and years trouble free. Then weeks ago suffered a bad rectal prolapse.
Local vet tried to treat - but to no avail. Being referred to top Vet with estimate fees for major operation of £2k - Is she worth it? - You bet! Sitting next to me know waiting for appointment as I write:)
Will have to cut back on our holiday spend though.:(
Brian
Gromit.JPG

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
As I understand it, many small vet practices have been bought up by larger groups who are purely profit motivated and dictate the fees charged based on the maximum amount an insurance company would pay for the required treatment.

It would not be unreasonable to suspect that some insurers will have a financial interest in these large vetinary groups.

Fortunately so far our local vets remain independent and their fees are a fraction of what we have paid previously. We used to self insure which worked out much better for us.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I wish I could get a fraction of the service my vet gives on the NHS .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back