Vet Bills

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Brian_K, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Brian_K

Brian_K Read Only Funster

My boy took a tumble yesterday, not sure how, oldest daughter was looking after him at the time. The outcome was he wouldn’t put his right rear leg down and looked in distress. Thought it best to take him to the vets who suggested an X-ray to make sure nothing was broken.

I’m pleased to say everything turned out fine.

I took him in at 16:20, I remember looking at the clock, the vet rang me at 17:15 to say I could pick him up at 17:45 – total cost £221.41

When I come back I want to be a vet, then I could afford a much bigger motorhome.

Brian

• Like Like x 3
  2. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

I took one of my dogs for her yearly jabs . Whilst there noticed a lump so vet had a look , then we did x ray; then ultrasound, then 2x local anaesthetic for 5 x biopsies. + couple stitches. =175€ including the lab report on biopsies(benign)(y):)

• Like Like x 2
  3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

tell me about it..

had our two at the vet for rabies jabs for Pets Passport.. £200 (they already have micro- chips or that would have been another £100 )

while there the vet said they needed their other booster jabs.. £60 each .. = £120 (return visit for them)

total for a 15 min visit = £320 ..

I left feeling I'd been mugged..

• Like Like x 4
  4. Neckender

Neckender Funster

Our little old Jack Russell's bills were nearly £1100 reacently.

John.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Our Benji needed an x Ray yesterday £182 good job we have insurance , it costs £8 month but if any further treatment necessary we are covered up to £4k (y)

• Like Like x 1
  6. bungy

bungy Funster

Another vote for insirance!!!

One of ours is going in on friday to have dental stuff done...some out and the rest cleaned... £300ish

Mind you thats cheaper than a dentist! !!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Brian_K

That is cheap, if I can ask, who's that with?

I'm presently with More Than, paying £34 a month with a £75 excess.

Brian

8. Larby

Larby Funster

You have, admittedly it was 3 years ago, but I was charged £92 for annual booster, rabies jab and issue of passport whilst there.

• Like Like x 1
  9. golly

golly Funster

I think vet fees have gone up because of pet insurance. The days of James Herriot are long gone.

• Like Like x 2
  10. scotjimland

I don't have pet insurance..

It wouldn't have covered any of my costs to date

IMO it's absolute rip off .. rather put some money away each month for that unexpected illness or injury

• Like Like x 4
  11. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Brian, I have misled you, just looked at policy and it is £9.14 per 28 days and is with www.pet-insurance.co.uk and scanning the policy cannot see mention of excess, if I find it I will post on here.

Yes, excess on Vets fees is £95, a bit steep but the policy premium is worth going for .

12. Brian_K

I have to admit the first thing the vet asked me was "do you have insurance?" and "who with".

Happily they had all the correct claim forms to hand and offered to send them off :rolleyes:

Brian

13. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Yester-year; take your dog to the vet with Diarrhoea, you get advice to not feed him for a day, maybe be subscribed some Kaolin and Morphine powder to sprinkle on a light meal of rice and chicken. £10 max

This year, stool sample and lab test, negative? Lets do a blood test to make sure. A course of these tablets.....>££££££

• Like Like x 3
  14. Brian_K

Still seems good value, I'd be surprised if there wasn't an excess.

Both posting at the same time :D

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  15. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I think you need a new vet. Those charges are taking the p!%&

Ours:
    Rabies jab & pet passport £46 each dog.
    Microchipping, not sure because ours were already done by the breeder but I believe around £25 if you have it on its own. I know they offer something they call "best start in life" for puppies which includes both initial vaccinations, microchip, 3 months of flea and worm treatment and 6 months of health checks for less than £100. When I took ours as we didn't need the chip they gave me an extra months flea and worm both times.
    Booster jabs about £15 or £99 for lifetime boosters.
    Not on your list but ours recently had kennel cough boosters as the lady who home boards them when we can't take them with us asks for it. £12 each.

• Like Like x 2
  16. scotjimland

agree.. but we live in a 'wealthy' country market town where there is no competition .. :rolleyes:

that is the norm..

17. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Worth a bit of travelling if you could potentially have saved £200 on that visit alone?

http://www.vets4pets.com/find-a-practice/?aps=4081450~[MV]POSTCODE=suffolk~

Can't recommend them highly enough. Our local one is the best vet practice I've ever dealt with. Even the one time I've needed to go for something non-routine the cost for the visit and some drugs was way below the excess on the insurance.

• Like Like x 2
  18. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

If you think dogs are expensive try horses , I think that the issue with vets these days is that it's all driven by insurance company lawyers ,my daughters cat looked very unwell so off to the vet it went, found a lump and they took a test ,had to wait a week for the results,poor cat was in agony waiting on the outcome ,end result was terminal ,the whole thing was a disgrace ,poor beast should have been put down earlier ,but unless the vet has a piece of paper from a laboratory then the insurance won't pay the bill

When I had my garage I had a Mercedes in with a dent and other damage , I priced the job for a new skin and paint, anyhow I felt that there was a slim chance I could get the dent out using pointless dent removal tools , I got the dent out and had a conscience moment , I'd best give the customer a discount, customer cones back happy with job ,got chatting and asked what do you do for a living ,I'm a vet she says :)
    Discount idea was forgotten (y)

• Like Like x 4
  19. Debs

Debs Funster

Our two had their booster jabs a couple of weeks ago £136.00 - that incuded kennel cough (just in case the daughter won't have them for the Bristol meet):(

20. Encantador

Encantador Funster

Paid £64 yesterday for annual booster + rabies booster (3 year).

Vet said to come back in 4-5 weeks to have a second injection as some new strains of infection had to be catered for in the annual booster for this year only and the cost was being covered by the vaccine supplier?

Anyone else been told this?