Very tempted by Globecar at NEC (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
thanks .. missed the price in the link.. so about £950 .. I can mount and do my own leccy.. double my guess. :LOL:

still, if it does the job and it does it uncompromisingly, why spoil the ship for a halfpennyworth o' tar :D

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
You would usually only find the missing over-cab insulation by accident - trying to retrieve something that has slipped down the gap. You need long arms.

Reach to the back of the over-cab storage. Is there a small gap between the rear of the storage area & the black insulation on the roof? If so, insert your fingers through the gap. An inch or so further in, you can feel that the insulation has stopped & you can just feel the bare metal of the roof. On a cold winter's morning after a night in the van, this gets condensation on it in the same way as the windscreen does (unless you have external silver screens).

Ours was built April 13 & has the gap.
Yup, we found it by accident too:(

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
have seen this issue about overhead cupboard lack of insulation before. mine is fully insulated with the black stuff you see being fitted to interior in the video..unless i'm missing something. maybe they rectified it from 2013?

Unfortunately, look for it and you WILL find it:( I think it is probably on many other makes too, it's just more out of sight maybe??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
could you not pack it using some sort of loft insulation

either glass wool or polystyrene ?
I have looked into that but then there is the risk of trapping moisture in. Also at the moment I want to retain the option to defend any warranty claim without Globecar saying that I have invalidated the warranty .

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I think I might push an old towel or similar along the gap. This won't improve the insulation as such, but it might reduce the amount of damp air reaching the cold spot, reducing the condensation. Then remove it at appropriate intervals to get some fresh air circulated in there.

I don't want to risk pushing anything though the gap, because I don't know what I would be pushing it onto or how far it would go. At the very least, there is the back of the cab interior lights down there somewhere.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I did experiment with a couple of pieces of pipe insulation (the grey stuff that wraps around copper pipe) and it filled the gap quite well.....

But it made no difference whatsoever :(

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
We are just in the process of acquiring a Family Scout L - collecting it next Tuesday all being well. Re the condensation problem, would it be possible to put a tub of the moisture attracting crystals in there ?

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
No - the gap is too narrow. You might risk a cloth bag with some in, tied to a piece of string to retrieve it. I don't think it would make a significant difference. Given that the problem exists & what chockswahay said about trying to block it off, I suspect the best way to manage it is to ensure there is free air flow so that anything evaporates off again.

But to be honest, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. If you read back over this thread, you will see that we are scratching around to find anything serious to complain about. :)(y)

Given that you are ok with a transverse bed, the Family Scout L is a lovely layout. Have fun with it! :)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Have had a quote from German dealer for rack:

900€ net (£850 Inc VAT) + 135€ delivery via UPS (£957 total depending on exchange rate) shop around..

what about expanding foam for the gap..must say I haven't noticed a problem ...yet. might do over the winter

Boater

Free Member
Oct 6, 2010
Bridgend s.wales
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Our campscout is four years old in January one of the first r h drive ones in the country still looks as new inside and out I would not hesitate in buying another found this insulation missing when it was about three years old I purchased a cheap boroscope type camera of ebay on a five metre cable spent a couple of hours inspecting above the windscreen in the locker above no signs of any corrosion I've got no worries about it we store towels and such up there I do make sure I keep them away from the roof and air can circulate .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back