Very newbie question - how do I open my Hymer's external compartments?? (1 Viewer)

Apr 6, 2017
Andalucia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544 Camp
Exp
Since 2017
Embarassingly I didn't get the seller to show me how to open the compartments on my Hymer, or even show me what's in them - could be a dead body or anything.

They look like this when locked:

external_latch1.jpg

Turn the key and it pops out, but then I can't work out what next. Pushing the popped out part doesn't do anything, unless I turn the key when pushing makes them pop back into the locked position.

external_latch2.jpg

Hopefully someone here knows how these work...

cheers
Rich

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
I have the opposite on my garage door, turn the key and it doesn't pop out, I'm sure it should.

Mickey.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rollin
Apr 6, 2017
Andalucia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544 Camp
Exp
Since 2017
Yes it worked! It was a little stiff but putting a little pressure on the door and jiggling while turning got them to open.

Thanks again all :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rollin
Apr 6, 2017
Andalucia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544 Camp
Exp
Since 2017

No it seems like I don't. I have various manuals for accessories like the hob, toilet, heating etc, but nothing for the main part as a whole so nothing about the exterior compartments or the gas or water.

But at least I've found the gas compartment now! And no dead bodies in there either

Upvote 0

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Please note the last line of my signature, after the "And, to conclude " ....... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Labour saving tip - when you unlock with the key and the catch pops out, turn the key to the locked position and withdraw the key.

When you close the hatch, just turn the catch to the closed position and push the catch in and it will be locked (without using the key).

Upvote 0

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Labour saving tip - when you unlock with the key and the catch pops out, turn the key to the locked position and withdraw the key.

When you close the hatch, just turn the catch to the closed position and push the catch in and it will be locked (without using the key).

I'm not good with keys, i'd end up locking them inside the locker!

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes it worked! It was a little stiff but putting a little pressure on the door and jiggling while turning got them to open.

Thanks again all :)
That will be the seals exerting pressure on the door.
Try pushing the door slightly near the lock then turn.

DOH!!!! Just read your post again.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Page 64 Hymer Manual ..

Opening:

Insert key into locking cylinder and turn a quarter turn in an anti- clockwise direction. The lock handle (Fig. 42,2) snaps out.

Remove the key.

Turn lock handle one quarter turn in an anticlockwise direction. The flap lock is open.

Closing:

Firmly close the external flap.

Turn lock handle in a clockwise direction until it is horizontal. The flap lock is now engaged but not locked.

Insert key into locking cylinder.

Press down lock handle with key inserted and turn key a quarter turn in a clockwise direction. The lock handle will stay bolted.

Remove the key.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rollin
Apr 6, 2017
Andalucia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544 Camp
Exp
Since 2017

Thanks mate, I've read all the important bits of the manual, it doesn't go into as much depth as I'd like but it's got me up to speed on the basics. Still I'm sure it wont be long before I have another silly question!

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
I'm not good with keys, i'd end up locking them inside the locker!
just like I did!:rolleyes: with the water tank filler cap as well! had to get the spare key posted to loch Lomond . now I always lock it with the key.

Upvote 0
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
@Spriddler , If I hadn't got the info from here, I would've just kept forcing them out with the key. I've got the one door opening, but the other ones too stiff,so I'll get them replaced.

Mickey.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
@Mickey1 TBH I would be highly miffed if a dealer smugly said it's a known fault and yet they didn't check it or warn you to be aware of the possibility as if it's some sort of trade secret. Some owners have to travel long distances and suffer not a little inconvenience to revisit a dealer. I'd like to have the nerve to run up a large bill with them and use a card with insufficient funds to pay it, then explaining that it doesn't surprise me it's been refused as it's a known fault with that card. The only snag is that they'd hang on to my m/h:unsure:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back