Very Green but Very Keen (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I suppose I should start with saying hello!

I'm Simon and I don't own a motorhome quite yet. But I'm looking...

So why am I here? Back in the mid 70's when I was very young, my Dad bought a new Devon-converted bay window VW and we went to France in it on a family holiday. Great times and I remember most of it. Dad sold the VW some months later and has regretted it ever since.

So I'm now older and am getting a mite irritated by putting up tents in the rain. And putting them down again. So I threw my toys out of the pram and we hired a motorhome to tour my wife's native Scotland last month. Only for a week. Loved it!

Well, I did especially. So I now want to buy one of my own. And I suppose it harks back to that summer in 1976. That VW also got me into Land Rovers, but that's another story entirely.

But I don't want a VW, though. Too small. I'm particularly taken with Hymer and am renting an older mid-90's one next month for a weekend and am very excited about it! As one is... I hope you understand.

So there it is. No motorhome as yet. Still trying to convince my wife but happily gazing at adverts 'by way of research'....

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Simon Welcome to Motorhome Fun , lots of information on here, join in ask questions that's what it is all about, and having fun. :thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Ducato Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
Welcome to the best MH site ever. :flyingwelcome:

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Old Hymer! Good idea!
No idea why I should say that ::bigsmile: ....... and welcome.

Cheers

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hi and welcome:thumb:

There are plenty of experts on here to help with your search

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Simon & wife

Welcome to Motorhome Fun, hope you enjoy your time looking and planning, best thing we ever did!
Very good idea to hire, gives you a far better idea on what layouts work for you, as there are sooooo many!
Next thing to do is to get the wife to agree to visit a motorhome show, then you have plenty to look around.
Lincoln Finale is coming up towards the end of this month.:thumb:

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
Hi Simon, welcome to the very best motor home forum.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hello and welcome. The old Hymers a a great starting point for new owners, as long as you don't expect everything to be perfect and realise that the old ones are always going to be ongoing projects. Mind you if you have Landrovers you will know exactly what I mean:ROFLMAO:

att

Free Member
Jul 17, 2013
Lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Brand Spanking Newbie
Hi and welcome from a newbie.....I jumped into the old Hymer thing just a few weeks back.
Fixed everything that wasn`t working, or had not been used for some time.
In the last six weeks we have been away for 3 weekends and are off again tomorrow for a couple of days:thumb:

It is addictive....Getting up and going when you like:Cool:

Blodwyn Pig

Free Member
Oct 1, 2012
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
July 2013
Hello and :welcome: to the forum. Lots of knowledge and experience among the funsters :thumb:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Goos morning and welcome
:welcome:

If I where you I whould join this site £10 per year before you buy.

You can ask advice on all models from people who might have that model.

Dont forget a lot is what you want.

Thery dont all like the same{or it whould be a Rapido forum:ROFLMAO:}

Mel & Lieve

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi Bellini you sound like my kids who were lucky enough to have so many fantastic experiences in caravans and motorhomes during their years growing up. They will I'm sure move from tents to motorhomes at some time soon. :thumb:

OP
OP
Bellini
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Wow!

Thanks for the very warm welcome!:thumb:

£10 will be paid shortly.

I've booked tickets to the Motorhome and Caravan show at the NEC and we're all really looking forward to going.

I must admit to also owning an immaculate 13 year-old AMG Mercedes and that draws me heavily to a Mercedes chassis simply because of the mechanical dependability we've experienced.

No problem in spending time doing bits here and there - as someone said, we've used to that with the LR's. And it adds a certain sense of satisfaction to doing things yourself at a reduced cost. But this is very early days and I know from experience that we may also end up buying something much newer. But I really love the mid 90's Hymer's classic looks and timelessness.

Still, I'll get fully immersed in things here and build my knowledge some more before any decisions are made. Then there's the upcoming Hymer hire and the NEC. Really looking forward to all this!

Thanks again!

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
There are motorhome shows at Shepton Mallet and Lincoln in September

and even if you havent got your motorhome yet, Why not join us at the Essex Winter Meet Mersea Island, come get to know some funsters. The site have statics so if you decide to join us just let me know here

Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back