Very Dangerous Problems Swift 686 Escape (1 Viewer)

winterhill

Free Member
Oct 25, 2009
Ambleside & Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
since 2008
broken springs

Hi we have just purchased an 08 Auto sleeper Symbol on a Peugeot base van from Marquis with 6k on the clock, after the first test drive I had a good look around it and also noticed that both rear leaf springs had cracked right across. after alerting the salesman to this he said that they would send it to the Peugeot main dealer to replace them, which they did under warranty.

It looks and sounds like the spring manafacturers have had a few problems, it is not just related to Swift motorhomes.

Also found this thread on another forum concerning broken leaf springs
http://************************/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=56984

SJM

Free Member
Aug 17, 2009
Funster No
Hiya chaps,

As well as owning an 04 Bessacarr 425 I have an 07 Ducato Maxi van (X250 new shape, heavy duty type with full plastic wheel arches)
Although I very rarely go near the gross weight of the van, whilst under it the other day I noticed that my o/s/r spring was broken, but NOT at the back or shackle end, but at the front fixed end. I cant say I have noticed any adverse affects or noise from this, even though the break is rusty and looks like it may have been broken for quite some time.

For any of you guys that have this as a base vehicle, and may be covered by a warranty (which i am not) you may want to go and have a quick look at both ends of your rear springs.

Stu

chewy

Free Member
Apr 11, 2009
Funster No
good work

Hi Mark,

Just to confirm that we (The Swift Group) have seen this post and also your e-mail to our Customer Services Team.

We have responded directly to your e-mail.

Thanks,

Ash
Next time I'm buying I will keep in mind that Swift keep an ear to the ground regards what is going on with thier customers....a problem such as this has to be quite rare should have been picked up o pdi and must be warranty sorted quickly ..well done

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

the_ninja49

Free Member
Sep 1, 2013
Brighouse
Funster No
MH
"Swift" on fiat chassis
Exp
"Virgin starter"
Hi, thanks for the information regarding the broken spring as i own a new swift escape, Will be checking my van this week...i am sure that it will be an isolated case (metal fatigue).....

As regards to the tow braket issue, I am fitting a bespoke tow bracket to my van this next couple of weeks, when I first inspected the chassis for the tow bar it was clear that the chassis manufacturers have pre drilled the chassis for a tow bracket so I cant see a problem personaly....

Andy

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, thanks for the information regarding the broken spring as i own a new swift escape, Will be checking my van this week...i am sure that it will be an isolated case (metal fatigue).....

As regards to the tow braket issue, I am fitting a bespoke tow bracket to my van this next couple of weeks, when I first inspected the chassis for the tow bar it was clear that the chassis manufacturers have pre drilled the chassis for a tow bracket so I cant see a problem personaly....

Andy

Hi Andy,

i dont think you'll have a problem as this has never been mentioned again by any funster and the original thread date was 25-08-2009.

simply a 'one off' defective spring.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

As regards to the tow braket issue, [HI]I am fitting a bespoke tow bracket to my van this next couple of weeks,[/HI] when I first inspected the chassis for the tow bar it was clear that the chassis manufacturers have pre drilled the chassis for a tow bracket so I cant see a problem personaly....

Andy
The original post on this thread was over four years ago so things may have changed by now with your m/h. However if Swift specifically state that they do not recommend fitting a towbar then you could have problems with mot and insurance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

As regards to the tow braket issue, [HI]I am fitting a bespoke tow bracket to my van this next couple of weeks[/HI], when I first inspected the chassis for the tow bar it was clear that the chassis manufacturers have pre drilled the chassis for a tow bracket so I cant see a problem personaly....

Andy

any vehicle built after 2012 needs to have a genuine type approved towbar fitted, hence the existence of the predrilled holes:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back