Very Dangerous Problems Swift 686 Escape

Discussion in 'Swift Motorhomes' started by Boschie, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Boschie

Boschie Deleted User

Hi All new to forum, but needed to tell people of a very dangerous situation, just bought a Swift 686 Escape on a ducato chasiss only 3 weeks old and the leaf spring on the o/s/r where the shackle bushes go through has completely snapped.Being only 3 weeks old and having waxoyled it completely underneath myself I found a complete 5mm crack across the leaf spring at the end where the rubber bush goes through,this is extremely dangerous and needs to be checked.I bought my home from Dolphin Motor Homes in Southampton and my mechanic has stated it should have been picked up on the Pre delivery inspection as it is to rusty inside the the large crack to have be done recently.We have only done 375 miles in it.I will let you know if it becomes a recall.:cry:Regards Mark

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Well spotted.:thumb: What has the reaction of the dealer been. As its new you would expect the problem to be sorted quickly without delay. I hope it is.

Meanwhile, welcome to the Fun:BigGrin:

3. Boschie

Boschie Deleted User

Hi Jim,
    Taking it to dealer tommorrow,will let you know result asap perhaps it needs to be highlighted at the front of the forum?Thankyou for your support.
    Regards mark

4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi n welcome to the fun . not a normal problem would have thought it highly unlikely to be happening to lots of springs. but good job you spotted yours. lets hope its the first n last problem you get .have fun we do. cheers alan.

5. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Sorry to hear of your problem, well spotted.

Welcome to MH Fun by the way hope its the last of your problems.

Best of luck.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

6. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi, :welcome: to the Fun. I was watching a post on another Forum:Doh: and it was about fitting a towbar to a Swift Escape 622

He went to Pickering last month to have a look around to see whats on offer and after viewing several/many we decided that we both liked the Swift Escape 622 on the Wandahome stand,we talked to the salesman Brian,discussed our requirements ect and then went away to talk some more.We went back several times to ensure that it would be the van for us,talked again with Bran and ended up paying a deposit and the new van would be ours in October 2009.One of our requirements was for the salesman to get us an estimate to supply and fit a tow bar and ensured that this along with other things was added to the order form prior to me signing it.I did ask for a brochure but they had none onsite at this time.
    Next day we went back and they then had brochures and we were given one,I gave it a brief read as we were leaving to drive home that afternoon.
    Once home I read the brochure from cover to cover and was very surprised to see that unlike any other Swift brochures there was no details re towing weights ect. I called the Swift technical department to enquire why this was the case and was informed that,Swift Motorhomes Limited

:RollEyes:Sound like the Chassi may be very lightweight. Bob.

7. SwiftGroup

SwiftGroup Read Only Funster

Hi Mark,

Just to confirm that we (The Swift Group) have seen this post and also your e-mail to our Customer Services Team.

We have responded directly to your e-mail.

Thanks,

Ash

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Sounds like a retrograde step to me Bob ... :Doh:

In My Opinion, your Euromobile is a superior van :Wink:

jim

9. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Well done the Swift group:thumb:

10. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

I know that the Swift Escape is a cheaper entry level van, but an entry level to what " a load of trouble by the sound of it"

Dave:thumb::thumb:

11. The Wallace

The Wallace Read Only Funster

Hi Jim, you may well be correct but I think he was cutting and pasting from someone else's post.

Scuttlegate, juddergate and now Springate, or should that be Spring-gate, what next?
    Anybody know what happens if a spring breaks when driving? Is it as dangerous as the o.p. suggests. If so how do I check it on my old bus?

12. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

The Kingdom of Heaven my Son. What better service can Swift offer than Swift transport to the almighty.
    PS This is of course a joke. Swift have no fast route The Kingdom of Heaven and this is an isolated case which will be thoroughly investigated.

13. stagman

stagman Deleted User

Don't worry just risk it you will be alright I'm sure :BigGrin:

14. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Use these:Eeek:or get a

Wheeltappers hammer:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

15. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

You Guys must learn to think out of the box sometimes:Doh:
    swift don't make springs:RollEyes:
    Fiat don't make springs
    Ford don't make springs
    Merc----------- need i go on
    The company that did make the spring is governed by the steel suppliers quality control:Sad: and could have made half the springs were ALL riding around on:Eeek:
    cept me of course, mines Real American Steel:thumb::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    Geo

16. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

ooops.. foot in mouth again .. :Doh:

cheers

jim

17. The Wallace

I have an engineers ball pein hammer, a bricklayers hammer, a slaters hammer, a claw hammer, a toffee hammer,a tacker hammer, a cross pein hammer, a rubber mallet and a wooden mallet !!

Now you want me to buy a wheel tappers hammer as well !! Don't tell me you sell them too?

18. geofliz

geofliz Read Only Funster

why have you not got a lump hammer? Everyone needs a lump hammer! :thumb:

19. The Wallace

Forgot my sledge hammer and the back of the felling axe in my list but no lump hammer - the lads in my slipway squad carried one each everywhere (so I didn't need one) - got them thrown out of the pub at least once.

Now kidding aside and back ON TOPIC how about some guidance from motor trade members on what to look for when driving and how bad is it?
    If a spring can fail in less than 375 miles in spite of metalurgical tests on the steel, quality checks when the spring is made, quality checks when it is fitted, checks when the van is converted and finally PDI what is the chance of a 20 year old spring failing catastrophically on the road.
    I have never seen a broken spring but had to replace 'tired' ones on my Land Rover.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  20. Boschie

Boschie Deleted User

686 Escape leaf sping drama... update.

Dear Jim,
    Not so angry today.:Sad:

As promised I am posting an update to the saga of my broken leaf spring,I have returned the motorhome to Dolphin Motorhomes in Southampton and they were extremely helpful.

Mr T Willis of Dolphin Motorhomes was shocked to see the spring completely broken in half around the shackle bush area and has embarked on getting it fixed along with the other side. Mr Willis was also concerned as in the PDI report it has stated that all underbody fixings had been inspected and were secure,unfortunately this was not the case.(Obviously not worth the paper it is written on.)

Swift Motorhomes have also been in contact after I had told them of my postings on your site,however they have passed the buck on to fiat stating they do not change the chasiss on their conversions.

However, I have reminded them that they were the ones whom organised the PDI report and therefore should share some of the responsibility of letting the motorhome go out in a dangerous condition. After all if an accident had resulted in this malfunction it could have been fatal not an issue to be flippant about . Although I hope to find the more amusing side of this saga one day that after spending almost 38k on friday afternoon built motorhome.

Heres to the trials and tribulations of life.Remember "A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES STARTS WITH ONE SMALL STEP"
    Kind regards to all those readers whom offered surpport.
    Mark:Cool: