Very Bad Trojan - Aquaplay

Discussion in 'Computers' started by G2EWS, Jan 29, 2009.

1. G2EWS

G2EWS Funster

Hi All,

Thought I would give you some useful information so you don't make the same mistake I have made over the last few days.

I opened an email on my new Tablet pc and very quickly realised I had made a mistake.

Rather foolishly I did the same on my old Acer laptop which is currently not working and may need a major re install.

What became clear is this was no ordinary trojan and had installed a large number of files as well as altering lots on my pc.

I had not installed Panda which is my preferred virus fighting product on the new machine. So installed it and then tried to get it to update. I kept getting an error message telling me I was not logged onto the internet, but I was! I sent an email to Panda who told me to follow step one from the following web site:

https://www.opendns.com/smb/start/computer/

This allowed me to update.

I had already run the free version of Malawarebytes anti malaware found here:

Read this before requesting malware removal help

Which found a few trojans.

I then ran the updated Panda sofware and it found another 5 trojans and 2 virus infected files. You can see how serious this is when you look at one of the files:

Name: ntdlr dot com (Note dot put in it so no one clicks on it)

I now appear to have a normally working computer with a considerable amount of egg on my face.

Hope this not only serves as a warning to others but also gives you advice on sorting the problem out should you be unwise as well.

Best regards

Chris

2. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

That one seems to be doing the rounds at the moment Chris.

We've seen a few with this one on recently.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  3. Boo

Boo Read Only Funster

Here's the deal Chris,

I never open mail if I dont know the person or company it's from...................stick to that and you wont be caught out mate ;)

Boo

4. G2EWS

G2EWS Funster

Hi Boo,

I would agree and indeed I do not either. This was from someone I know who has been reprimanded of course!

I receive a few hundred emails a day so have to deal with a lot. Fortunately my provider F9 sorted out most of the spam emails. Some 6 months ago I was up to 1,000 spam emails a day. Which when you are trying to see which ones came from customers/friends takes far too much time to go through.

Just explained on another forum that I had the firewall running and McAfee which I don't like but came with the new pc. I find Panda to be one of the best and indeed it proved it's worth on this problem.

Foolish thing was I had not installed it on the new pc and had just upgraded to 2009 licence for all my computers!

Best regards

Chris