Versailles

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Bessi, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Bessi

Bessi Read Only Funster

We are thinking of going round Versailles Chateau on our next trip to France in September - anyone know if you can park a 7.5m van there or alternativly anyone know of a campsite with public transport to Versailles?:thumb:

2. sedge

sedge Funster

We've thought of going there ourselves but similarly I can't find reliable info on t'internet on parking there, height barriers or length restrictions, or public transport.

The Huttopia site

http://www.huttopia.com/en/nature-camping-Versailles-france.html

seems to be the nearest camping with a very close railway station (Porchefontaine, 600 metres) but whether that is of any use to actually visit the flipping palace etc, or whether there is a bus service, or whether the camping might do a mini-bus or something - I have absolutely no idea.

I wish you would go and find out ! :Rofl1:

It does seem like you are best off pre-booking including the headphones translation thing, and my preference would be to find out (which you can from the website) when they do the evening fountain displays and round off the visit with that. Earlier/later in the year that is only on certain evenings. From what I gather, you'd never see ALL of the site and buildings in just one day anyway, unless you have a strong constitution with the legs and stamina of a marathon walker.

And .... it ain't cheap ! but most likely very good value for all that as long as you allow more time than you might think ......

Not a place I think, to pop in on a whim whilst passing :Laughing:

3. PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop Funster Life Member

We've been twice to Versaille but a very long time ago! :Eeek:

The 1st time was in 1987 and we camped at Maison Lafitte for a few days and used the train to get around.

http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/eu...ines/camping-caravaning-international-101177/

The 2nd time was in 1997 and we stayed in a hotel in Paris - again we used the train to travel to Versailles.

Both times were in August and we didn't pre-book anything!:Smile:

4. makems

makems Funster Life Member

1. Don'

DO NOT buy your tickets at the Palace.The queues can be horrendous. Go to the Office de Tourisme on Av de Paris where there probably won't be a queue at all.
    You can park on Av de Paris while you nip into the Tourisme to check that things haven't changed since 2010.
    The Palace is closed on Monday but the gardens are open for free. This is good as you can easily spend a day just wandering the grounds.
    Allow yourself at least two days to do the inside of the palace(s) as there are a few. And get into the main palace as early as you can so you avoid the bus tour crowd. The bus tours don't all do the Trianon and Petit Trianon so they tend to be a bit quiter.
    Last year we parked at a car park on Avenue de Sceaux which leads directly to the Palace and is a comfortable 5 min walk. The Office de Tourisme said we could park overnight and we stayed 2 nights. Parking is free from 6pm to 8am and was 10 Euros from 8am to 6 pm. A bargain for parking so close to the palace.
    It isn't perfect - it slopes and there is a bus station at the top end so can be a bit noisy.
    Mike

5. sedge

sedge Funster

Thanks makems - that's very helpful !

What time of year was this? and was it midweek or weekend?

6. Hycon

Hycon Read Only Funster

Stayed at Huttopia Versilles last year. Bus not too far away and Train to Palace or Paris close by .Lots of steps to raised line if you are just going to the Palace none if you are going to Paris. Bus better bet if you are just going to the Palace .I belive that the Place is closed on Mondays but the grounds are open all the time.Ticket queue at Palace massive but did not seem too long to get served .Also there are ticket agent's in the town before you get to the Palace ,they may charge more for tickets and the queues seem as long.

Sid

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  7. makems

makems Funster Life Member

It was September when we went.
    We arrived on Monday which was how we discovered the palace is closed then. We did the gardens and on Tuesday did the palace but ran out of time to do the Trianon - hence the advice to take two days.
    It's not too far from Versailles to Monet's garden at Giverny which is well worth a visit. But make sure you don't do it on a weekend as it gets extremely crowded with Parisians on a day out. It doesn't seem to feature on a lot of the bus tours so it's not so bad during the week.
    The house itself is not very big so we just bought the cheaper tickets to see the garden only - t's quite extensive and takes a while to get round. In September the flowers were stunningly beautiful.
    The car park at Monets place is quite big and can take vans but the access roads are pretty narrow. If you have a large unit it may be worth parking on the way in to the village and walking half a mile. We managed it in the van we had at the time (a panel van conversion) but would think twice about it in our current A class.

8. suavecarve

suavecarve Funster

Have just come back from Versailles and went on Thursday. Avenue De Sceaux is now not available for overnighting. However if you are a heavy sleeper there is nothing wrong with parking down the avenue de paris about a kilometre and it is free all day. We managed to get a parallel spot and the warning is for vehicles over 10 metres. HOWEVER on walking the grounds we noticed the Trianon had loads of free parking and could not see a reason why they would stop you overnighting here and then just walking into the grounds of Versailles absolutely free. The gardens (atm) dont have their waterfalls on and night time viewing (supposed to be spectacular is only available at weekends july august and early september. It is 18 euros each for the house, 23 if there is a music thingy going on (i really dont know what that means) and if you are there by 0900 then buy your tickets (if you want to go in the house) at Versailles. There is still a queue to get in but only 10 minutes. You could of course get there at 0830 and queue for the half hour til it opens with your pre bought tickets from the tourist office. Upon entry at 0910 hrs we were still herded like sheep through shed loads of Americans and even more Japanese with their annoying guides and their upright arm holding a coloured flag with most of them on their tablets showing their friends in foreign countries. Well you may have gathered my thoughts on paying for the house (been there done that wont go back) but the gardens are well worth 2 days and give good consideration to your bike and charge your camera, totally stunning

9. Delboyarapaho

Delboyarapaho Funster

I stayed at Hutopia and the site is quite good although finding a level pitch can be a challenge. My recollection is it would be about a 2 mile walk to the Palace, perfectly doable. Don't even think about the train other than into Paris. A bus is possibly available but I have never tried. A taxi wouldn't break the bank and at least you would save your energy for walking the palace and grounds