Verdon Gorge

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by amkirman, Jul 7, 2013.

1. amkirman

amkirman Funster

Hi all, I'm heading down to the Verdon Gorge in August does anyone recommend a site in this area.

O and by the way it was fun watching the funsters at Shrewsbury at the weekend, there's some really good dancers among you all. The more you drank the more you danced.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  2. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

I can't recommend a site
    But I can recommend a visit we took kids there years ago a end of gorge there is a very large lake and you can rent canoes and pedalos and go up into gorge do it its one of most amazing things we have done the view from river up are awesome
    Easy going in with current but bloody hard work coming back out
    Take a picnic some fantastic ledges and shelve to stop on

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sid52

Sid52 Funster

I second that, the lake is an amazing blue colour and the gorge is truly impressive. there is a great walk along the river at the bottom of the gorge with some amazing views of the vertical and overhanging cliffs above. Take a torch though as you'll need it for about half a mile as the path goes through a tunnel. The short walk takes a day.
    For the less energetic the cliff top drive is equally impressive with many viewpoints looking vertically down to the river.

4. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Third one to second that :Smile: absoulutly stunning, as we were travelling through the gorge we spied a site below on the river, the most amazing colour, can not find the name of the site but its in the trees on the river, we bought a childs blow up boat and spent beautiful sunny afternoons floating around on it.

One day I heard a commotion and walked up to the gate and over 100 goats and sheep with bells were being hearded down the road a amazing site.

In fact we went past the site to the village at the bottom of the gorge and stayed on a very organised site for one night with free wifi, the next day we turned around and went to the site in the gorge, it had a nice little shop on it, a little bit of magic. :thumb:

5. amkirman

amkirman Funster

Thanks for the replies it sounds great, can you remember what the roads are like on the gorge route. Any restrictions on large motorhomes ?
    I'm sure we will find space somewhere, maybe a bit of wild camping who knows.

6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

7. Sid52

Sid52 Funster

The 'gorge route' is not in the gorge but goes along the rim. We drove it in the car as we were camping then, so I wasn't looking at it from a mh's perspective, but it has many pull in spaces and I'm pretty sure it is 2 lane, although some sharp bends. Have a look at Google Street view and that will give you a feel of what the roads are like.
    This is the Lac de Sainte Croix showing the mouth of the gorge. The parking/aire is in the trees in the middle of the picture
    PICT0058.jpg