Vehicle Weights (1 Viewer)

KKOB

Free Member
Jun 13, 2010
Funster No
Mrs KKOB and I are looking at purchasing an American RV in the future for continental touring. However, one of the problems that we're encountering is finding out about the weights of the vehicles available.

We're both have C1 entitlement on our licences and both have extensive experience of driving "7.5 tonners" in the UK and Europe.

Is there a website that we can use that gives a breakdown of various manufacturer's vehicle weights?

Also, am I right in assuming that most "pushers" will be overweight for us to drive ?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
maybe not .i take it you also have d1. that allows mini buses with between 9and 16 seats .there is a consensous you may drive an rv on d1.
i am not quiotye convinced yet though. but lots do.

OP
OP
K

KKOB

Free Member
Jun 13, 2010
Funster No
Fancy that. My Mum was brought up around Roche, Whitemoor and Nanpean.:Smile:

Yes, I've got D1 + D1E

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its a small world. where are you now living?
as for the licencing i think if the rv is over 7.5ton best to take the c category. but i know lots do drive on the d1. i always say a pusher as to be a bus as i,ve never seen a pusher truck. but would it stand in court. i dont know. many dealers will tell you it will.

OP
OP
K

KKOB

Free Member
Jun 13, 2010
Funster No
its a small world. where are you now living?

Well, home is in SW Turkey, but we're going to be in North Wales for the next few months.

We've asked a couple of dealers about weights and licences etc. but they just seem to be making it up as they go along.

We want to buy something that'll be legal rather than taking the time, and added expense, of going for another category on our licences.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
even though most RV's are built on a coach chassis they are classed as HGV in the uk...so a D1 (minibus licence) doesnt come into the equation.

up to 7500kg needs a C1 minimum licence ands over 7500kg need a C class licence plus a C1+E or C+E to tow a trailer over 750kg.

dealer will tell you anything to make a sale.

to remain legal and without complications just stick to whats the accepted norm....<7500kg=C1....>7500kg=C

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

daveyboy

Free Member
Mar 2, 2009
cambs
Funster No
MH
rv
Exp
you can get pushers under 7.5 tons but from what i know about rv,s in general is pushers usually come with heavier chassis,s and bigger wheels etc. what this means in general is that whilst you do find them under the 7.5 ton limit they wont have a big payload left for your stuff.
ive got a gulfstream sunvoyager ( puller) and having seen an identical model but a pusher i cant see any advantages. ok, the door is at the front so maybe you have a fraction more cupboard space inside but i look at stuff like this from a different point of view and that is the money side of things.
engine maintenance may be easier with a pusher( easy access etc) but with my particular model which has the 6.5 td engine i know a gearbox would be a very easy thing to source should it go wrong. a pusher would have a different box and would no doubt cost the earth. horses for courses i suppose.
that said your bigger bhp pushers and im talking 300+ bhps are truly brillainat machines if your budget stretches that far.

as pappajohn said, a lot of dealers will tell you anything for a sale. easiest way is to take it to a public weighbridge on your test drive.

good luck with your hunting:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i might add that i think its better to get a 7.5ton truck andconvert. you can have what you want then, get a lot of truck for little money compared to rv prices. bit difficult if you only have a short time here though.
pappa have youthought about a truck or are you going rv?
hope youget what you want.
cheers alan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back