Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
Hi everyone, just thought I would update you on our search. We went to quite a few dealers yesterday looking for the layout that would suit us. We found 2 which we really liked the layout of (differing from some of our requirements again lol). The Laika Ecovip 400 and the Luna Roadstar 726.

We are resticted to 3500 Kg Vehicle Weight as hubby is a diabetic.I have been searching frantically today to find out what these MH's are and cannot find what I need. What is this information called please when looking at advertisements on the internet because I understand it all but when looking for the info it doesn't seem to be as simple as 'vehicle weight' is it known as something else that it may be under?. Does anyone know please?

I suspect if I do get any answers that it won't be what we want to hear lol because they are the layout we would like, but at least I can stop thinking about them then !

Thanks for any help
Shell

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
the Laika 400 comes with the choice of either 3500kg or 4200kg MTPM

Weights
•MTPLM**: 4000 (78.8 CWT)
•Mass in Running Order: 3375 (66.49 CWT)
•Maximum User Payload: 625 (12.31 CWT)

MTPLM is the same as MAM I belive, son the Lunar is out for you unless you have it downlated but then you will only be able to carry 125 kg of kit which won't go very far at all...

The Laika could be either, you would need to check with vendor.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
What you are looking for may be expressed as GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) or MAM (Maximum Authorised Mass).

If you are looking for what are essentially quite large 'vans for a maximum weight of 3500kg, also be aware that your payload (what you can load in the 'van from empty) may be pretty low (some models are better than others), to a point where it renders it impossible to carry enough to enjoy the lifestyle.

Opinions vary, but I would be looking for a minimum of 500kg (after full fuel, water and 75kg for driver) to allow for two people to live reasonably. Most 'vans nowadays will quote their empty weight as well, to roughly the same spec, as I've put above - but older 'vans may be different, so take care.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Hi Shell181,

You don't say what year the Lunar 726 is.

The early vehicles (upto 2002/3) were built on a Fiat Long wheel base chassis and were rated at 3500kg with a payload of 680kg.

In 2004 they were restyled and the weight down rated to 3400kg with a smaller payload of 500kg

In 2005 they were built on and ALKO chassis and MMM shows that the weight was then 3500kg with a payload of 418kg - I would check the weight plate on the vehicle because I think there may have been an option to upgrade to 3850kg

The very last version made in 2008 were rated at 4000kg.

So if the one you are looking at is older then it may be within your limit.

But whichever vehicle you choose be sure to check the vehicle plate and any converters amendment to assure yourself of the weights.

Hope this helps

Lunarman

Upvote 0

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
Be aware Lunar no longer produce Motorhomes which can make assistance with problems and spares more difficult.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Shell181

Shell181

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
Hi Lunarman it is a 2005, so maybe still possible, it was out of our price range but maybe an older one with the same layout might be ok then :Smile:

Thanks for the info Warwick

Shell

Upvote 0

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
don't forget that if you find something you like over 3.5 you can have it downplated to your limit ....don't forget to SEE it weighed before you buy to ensure that you would have enough payload , trust no-one on this
I have a payload of 450Kg , and manage ...just ..with that , no bikes/motorbikes etc , 1 13Kg bottle of gas + small emergency reserve , only 6 pairs of shoes for my wife ; trips up to 4 months

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
When viewing a MH is is quite reasonable to ask to see the manufacturer's or converter's plate giving the necessary information. By law the MHs must have a plate giving such weights (masses?) as MAM, gross train weight and axle loads.

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
don't forget that if you find something you like over 3.5 you can have it downplated to your limit ....don't forget to SEE it weighed before you buy to ensure that you would have enough payload , trust no-one on this
I have a payload of 450Kg , and manage ...just ..with that , no bikes/motorbikes etc , 1 13Kg bottle of gas + small emergency reserve , only 6 pairs of shoes for my wife ; trips up to 4 months

The trouble with down plating is that for every the MAM is reduced then the payload is also reduced by 1 kg.

As most MHs have only 500 kg or so payload then the scope for reducing the MAM is limited.

Upvote 0

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Here's another. P.T.A.C. As the figure is the same as the G.V. or the M.A.M. There fore I assume that PTAC is French for The Gross Weight.

Don

Upvote 0

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
lebesset,

Only 6 pairs of shoes!!!
My management would consider that grounds for divorce.
Once took 10 pairs of shoes (for different outfits) band 6 handbags for a 7 day break.
Me: 1 x flip flops, 1 x trainers, 1 x wallet. Done.
Apparently "travelling light" only applies to me.
John

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back