Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I was told by a dealer that the vehicle I am buying has been registered & taxed but the V5 & tax disc might not come before I collect the vehicle. He has assured me that I can legally drive the vehicle as long as the documents are in the post :whatthe: Does anybody know for sure that this is correct? I was certain that the offence is not displaying a valid tax disc even if you have paid & are waiting for it. I was nearly fined once as the disc had fell off the windscreen but I got away with a warning :winky: but as you can now renew your tax online I was wondering if the rules has changed.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Tecnically there is still the offence of failing to display, but usually the officer can do a check , it would be extremely unusual for a prosecution to go ahead. even more so these days (cost benefit ratio etc)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I was advised by DVLA Swansea that I would not be able to drive the beast until the tax disc arrived (if I taxed online) they advised getting it from a post office if I needed to drive right away. So guess the law has not changed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I think you are right - you can't drive a vehicle on the road without displaying a current tax disc. However if it has been applied for it should be on the dvla database so if you did use the vehicle and get stopped, they would be able to check. It might be best to wait a few days though to see if the rfl comes to be safe. Usually it takes a few days to come, but the eg .doc may take a while. In the end it's up to you how desperate you are to drive your new mh . Personally I wouldn't take the risk.
Dave:thumb:

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Planet Mars next 2 Uranus
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
Take an old tax disc, photoshop it then change all the details Violla a new disc.

When i used to do imports we went to the local DVLA and done it all then and there, but yes it is illegle, illeagle, ilegle....... against the law for failing to display a tax disc

OP
OP
Kon tiki

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Can't use the old disc as it's a new vehicle, difficult waiting as we had already put it off for a month & this weekend is the only time we can get our daughter to drive us over to pick it up. We always intended to stay over the weekend at the dealers while I check out everything over but might end up spending the winter there instead of heading south for Spain :RollEyes: as long as we can get a hook up :RollEyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi kontiki,

click here, Link Removed and enter your make and reg.

this will tell you if its been taxed yet and how much it costs ect.

i use it all the time to keep tabs on my vehicles.

john.

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
Tax Disc

It is without doubt illegal to take a vehicle on a public road without displaying a tax disc even if it is lying on the floor you can be prosecuted.
In addition some of the Mobile Camera`s seen are not speed camera`s but are checking Tax Discs, the Bar Code is readable, if you are normally a law abiding citizen I would`nt risk it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It is without doubt illegal to take a vehicle on a public road without displaying a tax disc even if it is lying on the floor you can be prosecuted.
In addition some of the Mobile Camera`s seen are not speed camera`s but are checking Tax Discs, the Bar Code is readable, if you are normally a law abiding citizen I would`nt risk it.

not doubting you at all but would it not be easier for the police to check with DVLA like they always have.

number plate recognition reveals all the data held by DVLA.

TV ad.........not taxed....we know where you are...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:yeah right.:Doh:

Last edited:
S

stagman

Deleted User
I was told by a dealer that the vehicle I am buying has been registered & taxed but the V5 & tax disc might not come before I collect the vehicle. He has assured me that I can legally drive the vehicle as long as the documents are in the post :whatthe: Does anybody know for sure that this is correct? I was certain that the offence is not displaying a valid tax disc even if you have paid & are waiting for it. I was nearly fined once as the disc had fell off the windscreen but I got away with a warning :winky: but as you can now renew your tax online I was wondering if the rules has changed.

I bought a tax disc for my car and in a rush put it the wrong way round in the holder,i.e. tax disc facing inside Police officer saw it and told me to turn it round as it is an offence not to display it properly.Another time a mate of mine got pulled in as he had displayed his in the centre of the screen behind the mirror.So i think it is an offence if you don't display the disc.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Take an old tax disc, photoshop it then change all the details Violla a new disc....... but yes it is illegle, illeagle, ilegle....... against the law for failing to display a tax disc
Yeahhhhhh.......always ensure your fake photoshop job is on display.:RollEyes:

Otherwise its illegal! :ROFLMAO:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Its illegal to be on the road without dispalying a current tax disc. You can find almost every detail concening your vehicle from the dvla website ie, tax, insurance, mot etc.

A couple of us were on the web researching whether or not you could drive too an MOT Testing station without tax because you cant get tax without a valid mot. We came to the conclusion that you can and this was confirmed by the dvla over the phone. Its a bit daft in this day and age with the amount of information available to be able to tax the vehicle on line and then not be able to drive it. If you were to get done it would be by a camera rather than a bobby stopping you.
Cheers
Jim :Smile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Somewhat off the point but nowadays more and more motorcyclists are keeping their VEL in a pocket or under the seat .....
Reason being it is very easy to steal a bikes tax disk and use it for various thingsit was never meant to do ! :cry:
I have been stopped and asked where the disk is.... in my pocket officer... Ok, on you go then..

Yes, there is a law you would be breaking which is indeed failure to display.. Standard fine used to be £20.00
I would say it has gone up from that nowadays but I honestly cannot remember anyone in the last 15 years being reported for the offence.
As said elsewhere, cost ratio makes it not very viable ( unless they can add it to another offence of course :Eeek:)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The thing to remember is that this law was in place and used, when electronic checking was not available, and the only way it could be checked was when displayed,
It's a bit like a local bylaw requiring us here in Robin Hood Country, to practise the "Long Bow" every Sunday,:Doh: a little bit outa date:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Most dealers now have the facility to issue tax disc without a visit to the DVLA (or my Kia dealer did)

If the cant they should have gone to the DVLA or POST OFFICE and tax the vehicle there and get a disc straight away.

Not impressed with your dealer:thumbdown:

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
when i bought my pickup (new from dealer) the dealer asked for my insurance certificate so the tax would be in place when i collected the pickup.
they can also get the tax foreward dated ,on a NEW vehicle only, as a one-off for upto 7 days so if your collection date is just before the month end it will be taxed for 12months and 1 week at a pro-rata cost rather than 12months and lose 3 weeks tax for the current month.
they did this for me and it seems common practice for dealers to do this.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I bought a tax disc for my car and in a rush put it the wrong way round in the holder,i.e. tax disc facing inside Police officer saw it and told me to turn it round as it is an offence not to display it properly.Another time a mate of mine got pulled in as he had displayed his in the centre of the screen behind the mirror.So i think it is an offence if you don't display the disc.

the correct and legal position is bottom left of windscreen, correct way up and not obscured by wiperblades ect.
if it cant be read easily, in daylight, from the nearside without moving obstructions its an offence:whatthe:

vehicle excise and registration regulations 1994 states......

section 3 / 33 Not exhibiting licence

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if—

(a) he uses, or keeps, on a public road a vehicle in respect of which vehicle excise duty is chargeable, and

(b) there is not fixed to and exhibited on the vehicle in the manner prescribed by regulations made by the Secretary of State a licence for, or in respect of, the vehicle which is for the time being in force.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back