Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I have just received the V5C from Swansea.

Good stuff is :
My name is now correct.
I now have three axles.

Bad stuff is:
The weight has gone from 4005kg to 4500kg, not the 5000kg it actually is.
The colour is still grey, not the silver and white it actually is.

I am losing the will to live at the moment.

Good job we are going to Waldegraves tomorrow, something to look forward to and cheer us up. :thumb:

Don't forget that it is the base colour of the CAB that counts, not the fancy graphics or the body!

Also, there's no such thing as silver, it's metallic GREY!

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ok! there apears to be confusion amongst the DVLA and some of us, including me!

Can anyone advise what is the correct cost of road tax for the above:whatthe:
2008 and less than 3500kg.

See Here......
http://carfueldata.dft.gov.uk/new-vehicle-tax.aspx

Click 'light goods vehicles (weighing less than 3,500 kg)' then 'next'

then click 'Any other time on or after 1 March 2001' then 'next'

then it will show you pay £215pa or £118.25 for 6 months

Last edited:
OP
OP
JohnM

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
I bought a used jaguar x type 20d last week 2005,cost of rfl should be £135 acording to dvla site and other car sites such as parkers and auto car,went along to tax it at the post office on friday :Angry: asked for £175,the bl##dy thing has been registerd with wrong c02 emisions.I have now contacted Jaguar uk and yes it has been registerd in the wrong tax band from new.So back to dvla to get it changed will let you know of the outcome in due coarse.:Sad:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It's quoted as silver by the manufacturer :thumb:

And Titanium Blackbirds are called Titanium by Honda ( and normal folk in general :winky: ) but all the logbooks state the colour is beige :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
2008 and less than 3500kg.

See Here......
http://carfueldata.dft.gov.uk/new-vehicle-tax.aspx

Click 'light goods vehicles (weighing less than 3,500 kg)' then 'next'

then click 'Any other time on or after 1 March 2001' then 'next'

then it will show you pay £215pa or £118.25 for 6 months

thanks, but still don't understand? my V5 shows the body type as Motor caravan and taxed as a Private/light goods (plg) how can it be a goods vehicle?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
thanks, but still don't understand? my V5 shows the body type as Motor caravan and taxed as a Private/light goods (plg) how can it be a goods vehicle?
even a smart car is classed as a light goods vehicle (private light goods PLG) for road tax purposes.

once again, DVLA not fit for purpose

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Right story so far --
reg document shows tax class as PLG so phoned DVLA got a girl who says no such thing as PHGV so can only be PLG even if 4500kg and says motor caravan in log book nothing I can do about it!
2nd call 2 mins later get another person who says yes there is a PHGV but will need to take all documentation to local office & they will make a decision.
I can get a weighbridge certificate no problem but don't know if I have any official documentation from manufacturer as bought 2nd hand and was imported before I got it.
Reg document
no weight on it - space blank -
no model on it - blank
seats - 2 incl driver when we have 4 x belted seats
so may try to get these changed at same time..............

Wonder how long this is going to take & how many visits to local (40 miles away!!!!!) DVLA office.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Right story so far --
reg document shows tax class as PLG so phoned DVLA got a girl who says no such thing as PHGV so can only be PLG even if 4500kg and says motor caravan in log book nothing I can do about it!
2nd call 2 mins later get another person who says yes there is a PHGV but will need to take all documentation to local office & they will make a decision.
I can get a weighbridge certificate no problem but don't know if I have any official documentation from manufacturer as bought 2nd hand and was imported before I got it.
Reg document
no weight on it - space blank -
no model on it - blank
seats - 2 incl driver when we have 4 x belted seats
so may try to get these changed at same time..............

Wonder how long this is going to take & how many visits to local (40 miles away!!!!!) DVLA office.

The inspector at the local office may need to see the vehicle to confirm the details.

I imported my 1992 Hymer S700. Despite the local office verifying the documentation my log book came back as a Make: Mercedes, Model: Renault Scienic, Body Type: Pickup. This was despite photos and original Hymer factory info being included.

It took 3 attempts to get it sorted with Swansea. Then It came back as PLG despite the makers specifications saying 4600kg MGW so PHGV. The vehicle weighed 3400kg unladen and it was this figure Swansea kept putting as the revenue weight which would be under 3500kg or PLG. I let is go for a couple of years.

I then decided to take a photo if the vehicle plate with log book and other documentation to my local DVLA office. At first they said I would have to produce the vehicle at a booked appointment. However an vehicle inspector was passing the desk and the assistant asked for a second opinion and he said definitely PHGV after looking at the photo and the documents. I walked out of the office with a PHGV tax disk after giving them £160. The logboog went from them to Swansea and this time it came back correct.

If you get the right people dealing with you everything can be easily sorted. If not, dig your heals in and demand to go higher and higher up the chain. Be warned it can take hours of sitting around at your local office.

John

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
The inspector at the local office may need to see the vehicle to confirm the details.

I imported my 1992 Hymer S700. Despite the local office verifying the documentation my log book came back as a Make: Mercedes, Model: Renault Scienic, Body Type: Pickup. This was despite photos and original Hymer factory info being included.

It took 3 attempts to get it sorted with Swansea. Then It came back as PLG despite the makers specifications saying 4600kg MGW so PHGV. The vehicle weighed 3400kg unladen and it was this figure Swansea kept putting as the revenue weight which would be under 3500kg or PLG. I let is go for a couple of years.

I then decided to take a photo if the vehicle plate with log book and other documentation to my local DVLA office. At first they said I would have to produce the vehicle at a booked appointment. However an vehicle inspector was passing the desk and the assistant asked for a second opinion and he said definitely PHGV after looking at the photo and the documents. I walked out of the office with a PHGV tax disk after giving them £160. The logboog went from them to Swansea and this time it came back correct.

If you get the right people dealing with you everything can be easily sorted. If not, dig your heals in and demand to go higher and higher up the chain. Be warned it can take hours of sitting around at your local office.

John
Hence my post >>Here<< :thumb:

Regards,

Jock.

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
Just been to my local DVLC office, and there are some leaflet things on the counters asking you to write to government to try stop imminent closures of local offices, as its all being transferred back to Swansea.....how daft is that.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Just been to my local DVLC office, and there are some leaflet things on the counters asking you to write to government to try stop imminent closures of local offices, as its all being transferred back to Swansea.....how daft is that.
I've never had decent service from Swansea, but have had great service from my local DVLA office. I'd like them to stay if possible. :thumb:

Regards,

Jock.

OP
OP
JohnM

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
they cant cope at the moment so i recon it will be meltdown in six months once they close the local offices:cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back