Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
HYMER b544
Exp
new
we have a hymer b544 1995 on a Ducati base. We cannot start it at the moment and I suspect that it is the battery.
It has an aftermarket immobiliser that the previous owner advised would drain the battery. So we started and drove it weekly to keep it topped up, however during the cold snap it would not start. The battery was installed Dec 2014. Could the battery be old and tired already?
We bought a jump starter to get it started but that hasn't worked. It is an ex display model so that will go back and get changed for a new be as it is clearly not doing the job properly.
So, either the battery needs to come out and swapped or a new one, or it needs to come out and get charged up properly, or get the jump starter to work correctly.
Bigger issue is should the immobiliser drain the battery that quick and is a 017 battery something that should get changed every 4 years? Doesn't seem long to me.
Sorry for the rambling post but having a motorhome and not being able to get it out is frustrating!
Cheers
Mark

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Perhaps the battery could do with a good long charge via EHU or out of the van /charge on mains .
Driving it will only charge it up to the alternator limit?
cold snaps catch out batteries not in regular use if left connected, the Alternator will drag the battery down on its own after a week or so a good solution if not going out for a while could be:

Link Removed

OP
OP
Marcus75

Marcus75

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
HYMER b544
Exp
new
Many thanks, I like the look of that gadget. I am going to stick a new battery in it, only £80 at the moment from the local factors. May as well replace it as it is 4 years old and then sort out the charging issue.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
Last year I bought a 1996 TVR with a 4 litre V8 engine. It had nearly a new battery and the original immobiliser which are known to drain the battery quite quickly, and it did. After a few times the battery was unrecoverable. Diesel engines , like V8's need a really good battery especially in cold weather. When you buy your next battery get the best you can afford. A good brand with the highest CCA you can get. Try not to let it run flat, a battery conditioner on all the time if you have access to mains or a drive round the block every weekend.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Hi Mark, have you not got any solar on the roof ? If not maybe worth getting just a 100w panel up there and buy ya self a battery master or similar, takes all the stress out of wondering if the engine will start or not.

OP
OP
Marcus75

Marcus75

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
HYMER b544
Exp
new
Put a new battery on it today and it started first time. We've got solar on the roof and looking at the controller I can divert it off to the VB as well so I will,sort that out this year. I will try and get th immobiliser sorted this year as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If the solar is charging the vb as well then the immobiliser wouldn't run down the battery.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back