Vehicle and leisure hook up charging (1 Viewer)

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
Hi guru type people,

So my vehicle, BTCruiser has been sat for 4 years. Im problem solving. But...

The vehicle battery itself has run down almost completely flat,
The nleisure battery charges but after a few attempts to start the genny it is flat.

If the genny does ever get going does it charge both batteries?

It seems also that one must make a decision when the battery starts to drop off to start the genny to recharge it because if it gets too low it wont start the genny.

So genny starting, vehicle charging, these are skills I have got to learn by experience but it did suprise me that the electric hook up isnt charging the vehicle battery as well.

Any suggestions please would be most welcome

regards

harry

OP
OP
harryoxford2

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
Hi Papa

Its been untouched, but charged now and then.
When I collected it 21 days ago and drove back the 100 miles the vehicle battery was fine, and Ive been starting the engine now and then. Only today did it fail, I thought it was mechanical like a stuck starter motor until I noticed the battery indicator on the dash display was at rock bottom.

Its been hooked up all this time by the way. I was hoping the onboard charger might sort out the leisure battery. But I assumed the vehicle battery would be topped up too.

If its the batteries...whats the best charger to get..one that desulfates as well as charges?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
OP
OP
harryoxford2

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
This is good thank you

Im wandering all over the net following your links.

Thank you.

(ooooo ive done me avitar and profile pic..ya can see me motor now and Oxford flooded)

Its so frustrating not to be able to pick up my wonderful operating instructions on this RV (mainly because they dont exsist) and see whats fitted. Today I started fishing around with mirrors in cupboards to read the labels on the box of metal box thingys and then look them up on tinternet.

If I knew what was onboard Id know if I need to upgrade.

First things first...new batteries. Front and back. Then a good charger and who knows the 4yr olds might recover and Ive got spares.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Harry,

Bin the old batteries, they will be useless, you may find the battery charger will now work with new batteries fitted

Peter

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
In reply to some of your questions...the genny does not directly charge your leasure batteries, it only charges them through the onboard charger.
The genny does not charge the engine battery.
Its most unlikly but not onheard of that the onboard charger will charge your engine battery,some do like some Hymers but have never heard of a yank that does.

OP
OP
harryoxford2

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
one question and its paid my fees

Thank you for the latest contributions, my knowledge base is expanding by the second.
You all just saved me from going into a garage and facingt a bill more than my £12 subs.

Once again Im in this box and dont know how to look back at who said what...but the genny answer is very helpful ty
the answer about bin them and the charge will probably work with new batteries makes so much sense ty.

And the suppliers Jim I followed the leads and saw some really interesting stuff. As my plan is to go out there for an extended period after a few trial runs I have to make sure Im totally self sufficient. Plus how to problem solve with limited impliments when out there.

Im in a mind to carry a spare booster battery thats always fully charged in case I run to low and need either vehicle battery boosted to start or leisure battery to start genny.....does anyone else do this.

remember those words at the end of each of my postings should be read each time......I really am unskilled at this as yet.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
You should have on the dash somwhere an emergency start button.
This meens if your engine battery goes down...you can start your engine from the house batteries.
Also if your house batteries go down...start engine and leave running for a few minutes to charge house batteries...the genny should start...you can then switch off engine and charge house batteries from genny.
On some models the emergency start is automatic with a light to tell you when its in use.
Most if not all yanks have this facility.

OP
OP
harryoxford2

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
the switch the switch

this is the switch above my head on the bulkhead that says emergency start. This is the switch in my profile too...now I know how it works thanks to you.
Your a star

OP
OP
harryoxford2

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
when I work out how to include pics

I think when I work out how to include pics in a post Ill take specific pics of my problems.

You cant imagine the fun Ive had as the switch is spring loaded and must have pressure on it to work. As im on my own Ive proped all sorts of things against it to hold the switcvh down whilst I went down to the genny start button thinking it was an emergency start for the genny.:ROFLMAO:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Hi, what they all said:thumb:

One thing, others may disagree but I always go to Yank speciallists for the engine side, leasure whatever takes your fancy, logic being simple they should know exactly what is actually suitable for the big yank motors and I have so far always erred towards the biggest capacity practicle so there is reserve for bad weather (cold) or prolonged layups, and I've yet to have a start problem since, fatal:ROFLMAO:.

Also, on the engine side look into what runs off the engine battery, daft but usually the radio which will run down the battery over time. On some RVs you'll find a switch in the cab that dictates where the radio is powered from, ie aux (leasure) or main (engine), bit obvious but set to leasure or off when not in use. I have adjusted Winne's wiring so it either leasure or nothing and the solar panel means it always on, ie retains memory, bugger looses everything 10 mins after power off:Doh:

Also watch reversing cameras, on our first RV I fitted a unit that had a big on/off button, great, wrong even off it was drawing a load and flattening the (usless) engine battery quickly. Again, hard wired a power switch so I knew it was off, and fitted a new battery and as said no more starting probs:thumb:

Good looking RV by the way, we do like the BT Crusers, there were 'on the list' until we saw Winne:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back