1. MotorhomeFun The best Motorhome Club in the World

Register to remove adverts Register Here

Welcome to Motorhome Fun

MotorhomeFun is a large community of motorhome and touring enthusiasts. Our website is the busiest of its kind. It serves as a meeting place for thousands of members who share their knowledge of motorhomes and travel, as well as arrange rallies in the UK, Europe and beyond.

It's easy to join us and takes just a minute

Vehicle and Leisure Batteries

Discussion in 'TECH/MECH GENERAL' started by Binky, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Binky

Binky Funster

Our bus has recently come back from work at Swift (hah!) and, ever since, we have had problems with starting in that if the vehicle is left for over a week then it will not turn over.

Looking at the two batteries fitted (1 in the cab (Vehicle battery?) and one in the belly locker (leisure battery?), they both have the same code, namely LB6110L. When I google this code then the description is for a leisure battery.

Does this mean that I now have two leisure batteries fitted and thus the problem in starting?

Sorry about the silly question, but since dealing with Swift I am beginning to doubt my own sanity.

2. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Funster

Either you have two leisure batteries and haven't located the engine battery, or someone is using a leisure battery as an engine battery.

Even if this is the case, that leisure battery is rated for around 750CCA, which would start even a large high compression diesel. If it is not working, you either have a high drain somewhere that flattens the battery, or the battery is knackered. (The former often leads to the latter).

Obviously, if replacing the battery replace with an engine one rather than leisure.

I've got battery isolators on mine and just disconnect the batteries when leaving. None of my electronics/alarms etc seem to care.

3. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I too suspect you havn't found the engine battery yet:Wink:
    By in the cab do you mean under a seat or floor panel or in the engine bay itself
    If under the seat or floor area it is most likely a second leisure battery two the same is a good sign:thumb:
    Open your bonnet and look for a third battery in there:thumb:#
    This will be the one going flat and preventing starting
    You dont say what age the batteries/vehicle is/are or what work you have had done
    G

2 people like this.
  4. Binky

Binky Funster

It's a 2010 Peugeot Boxer and what I believe to be the vehicle battery is under a panel in the passenger footwell. The vehicle went back to Swift to have new locker doors fitted due to high damp readings (it was with Swift for 10 weeks - but that is a whole different saga). They had moved some of the cabling/alarm wires to fit troughs on the floor behind the locker doors, so I am assuming that the battery was unhitched/removed then. It just seems coincidental that the battery/charging problems started when it came back from Swift, but I suppose the battery could have become u/s whilst it was sitting around for so long.

5. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Wouldn't worry to much about them both being the same as most batteries are the same:Doh: even if badged as leisure, Marine or starter:thumb:

6. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Not quite. The cranking amps can be different. I got the wrong battery in my van once and it took forever turning over before it started (brand new battery fully charged) Swapped it for one with the correct cranking amperage and it starts in under a second.

PS: Both were starter batteries. So even two batteries from the same manufacturer can be different internally..

7. callumwa

callumwa Funster

Our van is a 2009 Pug Boxer.

The one under the panel in the passenger footwell is the starter battery...

:BigGrin:

8. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Shoulda bought a leisure one:Wink: