Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
ok all you veg oil burners
I was talking to a motor homer who has a twin tank system on his ducato he tells me he burns 99% veg oil and just diesel for starting is it is a 1990 same as mine
just wondering watt he has to do to his oil

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
If it is unused veg oil, nothing. You just need two tanks so that the diesel can start the vehicle and get it warm and then swap over to veggie oil. If the oil has been used for cooking, it requires filtering and treatment.

Ps. Not all engines can cope - the newer the vehicle, the more likely it will not cope with veg oil at all.

Apr 18, 2013
Nuthampstead
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
since 2013
Sounds like its twin tanked. I did this to an 08 Toyota Hilux, which was a common rail engine.
Basically start on diesel, then when the engine is nice and hot, switch over to veg.
Mine had two heat exchangers which got the oil nice and hot (and thin), and also an in line pump, to take a little of the extra strain.
Mine would not run more than about 80% veg. Had to thin a little with either diesel, or petrol.
Some older engines will run 100% in summer, but probably not through winter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Sounds like its twin tanked. I did this to an 08 Toyota Hilux, which was a common rail engine.
Basically start on diesel, then when the engine is nice and hot, switch over to veg.
Mine had two heat exchangers which got the oil nice and hot (and thin), and also an in line pump, to take a little of the extra strain.
Mine would not run more than about 80% veg. Had to thin a little with either diesel, or petrol.
Some older engines will run 100% in summer, but probably not through winter.

ok so my 2.5td would run on it I have run it on bio and it's fine

Apr 18, 2013
Nuthampstead
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
since 2013
Can only go by my own experience really. If it runs lumpy, add more diesel.
Old oil can clog fuel filters quickly, if not properly filtered/dewatered.
I used to buy a 1000 litre ibc usually. Normally some floating about on ebay. I was paying 70-80p a litre, for new oil.
You will probably notice a small drop in power also.
http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/ will give you any info you need, and will more than likely have info on your particular engine. There a helpful lot, so might be worth a nose

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back