VED Road Fund licence after April 2017 (1 Viewer)

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
To put your minds at rest !

Vehicle Excise Duty reforms on 1 April 2017 - no change for motorhomes

There will be changes to the Vehicle Excise Duty (road tax) for some new vehicles registered from 1 April 2017.

The reforms will not affect any vehicles first registered before 1 April 2017, including motorhomes.

Most motorhomes first registered after the change date will continue to be taxed under the existing PLG (Private Light Goods) flat rate.

For more information about the new VED reforms coming in on 1 April 2017, please email technicalservices@thencc.org.uk.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We have read many opinions & documents on this issue as well as having spoken to the DVLA as this may affect us buying a new PVC :unsure: Our understanding is that it should be fine for new multi stage coachbuilts including A Class so long as they don't have a CO2 emissions figure on their final Certificate Of Conformity (most don't) but new professional van conversions that normally do (Globecar & Westafalia for example) may be liable if under 3500kg - those registered at over this should still be ok.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
i've said
We have read many opinions & documents on this issue as well as having spoken to the DVLA as this may affect us buying a new PVC :unsure: Our understanding is that it should be fine for new multi stage coachbuilts including A Class so long as they don't have a CO2 emissions figure on their final Certificate Of Conformity (most don't) but new professional van conversions that normally do (Globecar & Westafalia for example) may be liable if under 3500kg - those registered at over this should still be ok.
you have previously stated incorrectly that Globecar include CO2 in their final CoC. see#6 here. New vehicle Excise Duty rates
i provided evidence to the contrary including my 3500kg globecar CoC in post #7 New vehicle Excise Duty rates
and registered my new van with DVLA this week as a PLG.
please stop stating "alternative truths"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Must say, our Rapido V68 van conversion registered at the end of June 2016 does not have CO2 emissions figure on the registration document - simply blank.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
i've said

you have previously stated incorrectly that Globecar include CO2 in their final CoC. see#6 here. New vehicle Excise Duty rates
i provided evidence to the contrary including my 3500kg globecar CoC in post #7 New vehicle Excise Duty rates
and registered my new van with DVLA this week as a PLG.
please stop stating "alternative truths"
I hadn't read your comment on the thread - it's reassuring to know that your Globecar doesn't have the CO2 figure quoted only noted to refer to the Base COC. When we contacted Globecars dealers for prices & asked this we were told that it would have this figure on the final COC :unsure: so maybe they take & use the figure from the Base COC when registering. If they were/are wrong then that's good news. We were told the same by Westfalia dealers & Westfalia factory & sales staff. Think it's something to be double checked when ordering any new motorhome for registration April onwards.

Last edited:

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Reading back through the thread http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/new-vehicle-excise-duty-rates.146003/#post-2193943 can see that the other sample of a COC from Minxy Girl had not applicable (entfallt) in line 49 reply for a Globecar although registered less recently.
Not trying to be alarmist just think it's something that's worth checking as it would be a lot of extra money to have to pay out! We are happier if it's not an issue as it may affect us as well as be bad for the motorhome market.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I hadn't read your comment on the thread - it's reassuring to know that your Globecar doesn't have the CO2 figure quoted only noted to refer to the Base COC. When we contacted Globecars dealers for prices & asked this we were told that it would have this figure on the final COC :unsure: so maybe they take & use the figure from the Base COC when registering. If they were/are wrong then that's good news. We were told the same by Westfalia dealers & Westfalia factory & sales staff. Think it's something to be double checked when ordering any new motorhome for registration April onwards.
I sent both the Globecar COC and the Fiat COC with my reg paperwork to the DVLA and they have classed it as a motor caravan at plg rate of £235 as there is no co2 shown on the final COC. I can't comment on other manufacturers, only on my recent experience with the Globecar COC

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I sent both the Globecar COC and the Fiat COC with my reg paperwork to the DVLA and they have classed it as a motor caravan at plg rate of £235 as there is no co2 shown on the final COC. I can't comment on other manufacturers, only on my recent experience with the Globecar COC
That's good - thank you for that info. - just hope DVLA carry on with the same approach in April & onwards.

Hellboy

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Funster No
Recent statement from Marquis Group below...

New VED.JPG

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I think it depends on the base vehicle, commercial van conversion is at MH rate, VW based people carrier is a car and will be crucified on the new rates.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I think it depends on the base vehicle, commercial van conversion is at MH rate, VW based people carrier is a car and will be crucified on the new rates.
The Westfalia Columbus & Amundsen are Fiat Ducato van conversions & CO2 figures are quoted :(

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Has anyone else read about the new fines for speeding that come into force in April?

Very bad news if you are working or on a decent income .

It's bad even if on a low income

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
noooo ,go on @Chris enlighten us please,i drive 40k miles a year and have a clean liscense

I haven't got a link but it's something like a fine of between 25% and 150% of your weekly income.

The example given was of a footballer on £300k a week caught doing 101mph on the motorway.

The fine was expressed to be £500k.

It wasn't the Daily Mail either, I got an email off Green Flag.

I know the above is an extreme example but even so...

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
sorry link didn't work

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Speeding drivers will soon face much higher fines and stricter penalties. On April 24 2017, new guidelines set by the Sentencing Council will come into effect in the UK. Those caught driving at more than 101mph in a 70mph speed limit could be disqualified for up to 56 days and get a fine of between 125 and 175 per cent of their relevant weekly income.

Although the motorway fines have taken the headlines, drivers are most likely to be affected by the new fines and penalties on slower roads. If you are caught at between 31 and 40mph in a 30mph zone you will get three penalty points and a fine of between 25 and 75 per cent of your weekly income. Currently many drivers get away without points and a fine by paying for a speed awareness course.

How big are the changes for speeding drivers?

Having fines means tested is the biggest change here. Previously, a driver could be confident that the maximum fine they would get would be around £5000. Now that fine could be huge for high earners. If a top-level footballer, who earns £300,000 a week, was caught driving at 102mph he could face a fine of more than £500,000. Meanwhile, an 18-year old driver who works 40 hours a week on the minimum wage would be subject to a fine of just less than £400 for the same speed.

Why is the speeding law being changed?
The number of speeding offences has increased 44 per cent in the last five years. The new sentencing structure has been designed to produce a sufficient deterrent to reduce the number of speeding drivers.

Will other laws change?
As well as the speeding fines, drivers are set to face much tougher penalties for using a mobile phone behind the wheel from March 2017. The previous penalty of three points and a £100 fine has been doubled to six points and £200.

Five (very) Fast Facts
  1. The fastest speeding ticket known to have been issued was in Texas in May 2003. The driver of a Swedish Koenigsegg supercar was caught doing 242mph in a 75mph zone. After police finally caught up with him he was arrested and the car impounded.
  2. In the UK the highest speed ever ticketed was 192mph. The way the driver was caught is more unique. He posted videos of his exploits on YouTube and this provided enough evidence for his prosecution.
  3. The Swiss use a similar earnings-based fine system to the one the UK will soon have. When a Swiss billionaire was caught at 186mph in his Mercedes SLS in 2010 he landed the biggest speeding fine ever issued: a cool £558,000.
  4. The most prolific speed camera in the UK is on the Ealing section of London’s North Circular Road. From being switched on in April 2016 to the end of October almost 15,000 fines were issued as it enforced a temporary 30mph limit. Assuming three penalty points and a £100 fine per speeding driver, that’s £1.5 million in just six months.
  5. In 1878 the speed limit for a steam-driven car was 2mph in towns and 4mph in the country. Anyone caught exceeding that speed was fined and given 10 lashes. It was the driver, not the vehicle’s owner, who received the physical punishment.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Is there a minimum fine ? otherwise this
"and get a fine of between 125 and 175 per cent of their relevant weekly income." for someone without an income is zero.:D
I see that 100mph on a 70mph motorway as a % still attracts a greater penalty then the same % over in a 30 or 40 mph limit, where it is far more dangerous.(n)
In all honesty for ridiculous fines on that scale you'd be better off just topping whoever is operating the camera/car / bike as the only people who will be doing the paying , yet again is those legal decent honest & truthful ones who are already supporting both the idle,wasting benefit monkeys & the elected trough dipping scum.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
It all sounds a bit "stealth tax" so they are going to fine you at 1mph over the limit? whats hapened to the 10% margin ? and where does the money from the fines end up?

Harbour Creek

Free Member
Mar 21, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Westfalia
Exp

Hi Wombles, I am not too sure whom you would have spoken too at the Westfalia factory, or infact UK sales staff, but I can confirm that as the UK's largest Westfalia dealer, all new Westfalia models registered after April 1st will be unaffected by the new VED tax rules. Westfalia do not publish 2nd stage Co2 figures and are therefore taxed as M1 under the PLG rules, currently £235 p/a

Harbour Creek

Free Member
Mar 21, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Westfalia
Exp
The Westfalia Columbus & Amundsen are Fiat Ducato van conversions & CO2 figures are quoted :(

Sorry Wombles, you are incorrect again, please be sure of your facts before posting misleading information on a public forum. From April 1st 2017 all new Westfalia models will be taxed outside of the new rules, and therefore taxed as M1 PLG at £235 p/a

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Sorry Wombles, you are incorrect again, please be sure of your facts before posting misleading information on a public forum. From April 1st 2017 all new Westfalia models will be taxed outside of the new rules, and therefore taxed as M1 PLG at £235 p/a
That's good news then but as stated before not what we were told! We posted the information that we were given in good faith but understand that as you are new to the forum that you might not think so. In addition to what we were told at the end of last year we do know of someone who has just bought one in Germany & it does have the emission figure on the Certificate Of Conformity. Presumably this has been rectified for the UK dealers now.

Harbour Creek

Free Member
Mar 21, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Westfalia
Exp
That is interesting, as this confirms that only the Westfalia models supplied through auhorised UK dealers will have the emissions exempt on the COC certificates. As all other EU countries have differing TAX systems any grey import will still carry the Co2 figures and be facing the full £500 + per year for the next 6 years of road tax. This is one of the many costs to consider when importing a vehicle yourself, and trying to make savings over UK prices.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
. As all other EU countries have differing TAX systems any grey import will still carry the Co2 figures and be facing the full £500 + per year for the next 6 years of road tax. This is one of the many costs to consider when importing a vehicle yourself, and trying to make savings over UK prices.
Whatever you do don't let @Lenny HB see this

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
In the UK the highest speed ever ticketed was 192mph. The way the driver was caught is more unique. He posted videos of his exploits on YouTube and this provided enough evidence for his prosecution.
So, if all the facts and figures are this accurate we have nothing to worry about.
The above was a Japanese national driving in Japan.

Ooops, a different one

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As all other EU countries have differing TAX systems any grey import will still carry the Co2 figures and be facing the full £500 + per year for the next 6 years of road tax. This is one of the many costs to consider when importing a vehicle yourself, and trying to make savings over UK prices.
That's a load of cobblers, totally untrue.

Harbour Creek

Free Member
Mar 21, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Westfalia
Exp
That's a load of cobblers, totally untrue.
Hi Lenny, thanks that's an interesting response. Out of interest and to confirm I see that you have obviously just imported your new Hymer (very nice van) did the your 2nd stage COC have the emissions figures printed, or do Hymer omit this from their DE COC certs on a LHD van?

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Hi Lenny, thanks that's an interesting response. Out of interest and to confirm I see that you have obviously just imported your new Hymer (very nice van) did the your 2nd stage COC have the emissions figures printed, or do Hymer omit this from their DE COC certs on a LHD van?
FYI , i can confirm my 2017 RHD uk spec german supplied and self imported 3499kg Ducato based PVC Globecar final CoC did not have a CO2 figure on it and I registered it with the DVLA as a PLG with a VED of £235 ;)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've imported 3 Hymers latest one last week no CO2" emissions any of the C of C's. & today received my IVA Mutual Recognition certificate back fro VCA with no emissions shown on it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back