VED Motorhome Tax From April 2017 (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Facebook forums are buzzing with disputes about the new tax rules & know there has been some discussion on here too so thought these two responses from the DVLA (not verified though so don't shoot the messenger :imoutahere:) with regards to motorhomes might be of interest:
"I can confirm that a Motorhome registered on or after 1st April 2017 which weighs under 3500kgs will be affected by the new Vehicle Excise Duty regulations.

The amount of vehicle excise duty you pay depends on 2 things; the CO2 emissions the vehicle produces and the list price of the vehicle, except for the first license. For the first license, it is solely dependant on the CO2 emissions.

For example, if you purchased a motorhome which was registered on or after 1st April 2017 which gave out 130G/Km CO2 (for example) with a list price over £40,000, your first license rate will be £160. For the second through to fifth licenses, there is a change. There is a standard rate of road tax for vehicles over £40,000 which is £140 as well as an additional rate for £310. This would being the vehicle tax to £450 for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th licenses of the vehicle i.e. this would last up until the vehicle is 5 years old.

After the 5th license, the vehicle tax will be brought back down to the rate of £140 each year as the additional rate is taken away.

If a motorhome weighs over 3500kg, you will be taxing in the Private HGV taxation class. The tax for a Private HGV is currently set at £165 a year and £90.75 per 6 months. This will be unaffected by the new vehicle excise duty regulations."

"Thanks for your email.
Just to confirm that the changes announced to the structure of vehicle excise duty in the Chancellor’s summer budget of 8 July 2015 apply to vehicles registered from 1 April 2017. The changes will affect vehicles which are M1/M1SP type approved and have a CO2 emissions figure on the COC. For M1SP vehicles if there is no CO2 figure on the final stage COC then these vehicles will fall into the PLG rate. Motorhomes which have a list price exceeding £40,000 and which do not have a CO2 figure on the final stage COC will not be subject to the £310 supplement and will also fall into the PLG rate.
Hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Gary Baker
Policy Advisor
Vehicle Registration and Licensing Policy| Strategy, Policy and Communications Directorate| D16 | DVLA | Swansea | SA6 7JL"

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We rang up a while ago & this is different again to what the DVLA told us although nothing was definite then & understand that some of the motorhome manufacturers (including Bailey) have been in discussion with the DVLA.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
As the Fiat 2.3 130hp emissions are 161-186 g/km the first year would be £500-800 :eek: not the low £160 quoted above so for anyone buying a new motorhome it might be worth checking if your manufacturer of choice will be giving an emissions figure on your Certificate Of Comformity? Know that some professional van converters do (so worth considering the Maxi Chassis) but most multi-stage builds on chassis (coachbuilts including A Class) haven't historically but maybe still worth making sure...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I may be mistaken, but I believe few if any converters quote emissions on the final CoC. Have a look at your own registration document and check. It hasn't been included on the V5C of the three MHs I've owned. And the current one is a PVC, new in June 2016. It would be inserted at point V.7 CO2 (g/km) - but the entry is left blank.

The only possible exception I can think of is the genuine VW California because it is wholly built by VW - but I'm only guessing on that one.

Info is all buried in here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...11/ved-reform-briefing-for-motor-industry.pdf

Last edited:
May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Who really cares anyway........if it's an extra £200 a year that's £3.85 a week :think:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Who really cares anyway........if it's an extra £200 a year that's £3.85 a week :think:
Or a pint of beer a week, or 4 french bottles of cheap wine a week, I am beginning to care muchly

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

& that's the attitude that has allowed the UK to become one of the most expensive dumps to live in. Additionally It'll be more like £25/week for first 5 years with high emissions.

Thank dog that we live in a country that doesn't have annual VED

Or have one that is exempt .:)(y)

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
From Andy our expert at Johns Cross to reassure you

No they won’t apply as long as 2nd stage converter doesn’t put emission values in the box on the V55/1.

This is the case with Auto-Trail and Swift etc.

The press and public are confusing the issue, I think a dealer at some point made a mistake and copied the CO2 rate from the certificate of conformity on the chassis over to the V55/1.

A motorhome is a M1 Special vehicle.

Andy Marchant

Johns Cross Motorcaravan & Camping Centre Battle Road (A21), Robertsbridge, East Sussex TN32 5JJ United Kingdom

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
See info sheet
img050.jpg