VED Car Tax for Motorhomes from April 1st (1 Viewer)

Steely Daniel

Free Member
Mar 4, 2015
devon
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T Line 590
Exp
returning to motor homing.
Hi
This will possibly have been discussed before but I have a new van due with dealer any day and I am currently receiving conflicting advice as to whether being registered after April 1st will be better or worse in terms of yearly car tax. I know motorhomes are sometimes a bit difficult to classify (car or van?) it would appear that motor homes are caught in the new rules as the DVLA does state that they apply to 'cars and motorhomes'. The big change comes if the list price is over £40,000 you are subject to paying an extra £310 per year on top of the lower charge of £140 yearly car tax.
However I have been told by more than one dealer, that nothing will change for motor homes from April 1st. (They would say that wouldn't they?) I rang DVLA yesterday and talked to a human being, who also stated that any car or motorhome costing over £40,000 would be subject to the extra yearly £310 for the first five years if registered after April 1st.
So sadly, it looks like the new rules encompass motorhomes. It could be viewed that if you can commit to buying a vehicle over £40,000 you shouldn't worry about finding an extra £310 per year, but it is just another tax, that can possibly be avoided and I would rather spend £1550 on the vehicle instead of paying some extra tax.
Anyone out there with a similar situation?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Interestingly I rang the DVLA customer service centre the other day about a separate issue and their recorded message intro stated that the new VED changes would affect "cars and motorhomes", their words not mine.

However, as most motorhomes are conversions of base commercial vehicles and their V5 (and/or Certificate of Compliance) doesn't state a CO2 emission figure it's not possible to apply the new CO2 emission-based taxation system to them, so they're classed as PLG or PHG, depending on maximum weight, and taxed under the old system at the old prices.

Where (I believe) it might impact on some motorhomes is if they're purpose built from scratch, as in some VW models, although I've not seen anything definitive on that.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
The way I read it is that for vehicles >£40K in the first year you pay tax based on the CO2 emissions, so for example a Euro IV which has CO: 1.0g/km, you will pay £10. Then for the second year and for 5 years you will pay the standard rate of £140 plus £310 = £450.
Have I understood this correctly? Seems to me that this is a Luxury tax!
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables/vehicles-registered-on-or-after-1-april-2017

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Steely Daniel

Steely Daniel

Free Member
Mar 4, 2015
devon
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T Line 590
Exp
5 secs on the search bar.. :)

Read the one from John's cross (y)
Did look at this. But this was posted in January and the DVLA has issued more info since then which seems to try to clarify the situation which I think they realise is not clear.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
5 secs on the search bar.. :)

Read the one from John's cross (y)
He is talking about existing vans. The OP is talking about vans registered after April this year....

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Sounds to me as though DVLA staff you spoke to don't fully understand or appreciate that the vast majority of MHs are built by two different manufacturers. As such, the final converter is not required to declare an emissions figure under current regs. Consequently, VED will remain the same as currently.

A VW California, for example, will be an exception to the above, because the emissions are quoted by VW who manufacture the whole vehicle. As a result, they will be charged the new higher rate.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It says "Most motorhomes" which isn't quite clear. What's missing is something more definitive. I suspect if the vehicle is classed as a motorhome on the V5 the new rates will apply. If classed as Private Light Goods then I guess DVLC don't register it as a MH.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
The whole V.E.D. system for Moho's seems a nonsense to me - how can two identical vehicles have differing tax bands just because one weighs 3.5t & the other 3.55t.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
The whole V.E.D. system for Moho's seems a nonsense to me - how can two identical vehicles have differing tax bands just because one weighs 3.5t & the other 3.55t.
There not identical, one max is 3.5t and the other is more. ;)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Anyone out there with a similar situation?

Yes we took delivery of our new car on the 1st March as waiting any longer would have increased the RFL by over £1500.00 over a five year period.

Even if you pay less than £40,000 for the car if it's retail price or list price is above £40k it will still cost you. If I were to sell this car in a year or two time then it is still a 17 plate but without the additional cost each year so I figured that would make it more desirable to someone on a budget.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Is this site incorrect saying over £40,000 you pay VED based on CO2 for the 1st year then £310 for the next 5 years?
http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/motorhome-faqs/3-motorhome-road-tax
Yes and no!

My understanding is that if a new MH/camper is registered from 1st April 2017 on the V5C:
  • with the CO2 info showing then it will be subject to the new tax regime
  • without the CO2 info on then it will still be taxed as now, either as a PLGV or PHGV.
As the vast majority of MHs don't have the CO2 info on the V5C then they will fall into the second category.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
But the system wasn't set up FOR motorhomes, but for commercial vehicles and I believe that the reason the 'over 3.5t' tax is cheaper is because it is the size of vehicle that a lot of businesses use and therefore would affect them a lot so there would have been uproar if it had been increased/or it was a promise to 'protect' them which was made in the dim and distant past.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
But the system wasn't set up FOR motorhomes, but for commercial vehicles and I believe that the reason the 'over 3.5t' tax is cheaper is because it is the size of vehicle that a lot of businesses use and therefore would affect them a lot so there would have been uproar if it had been increased/or it was a promise to 'protect' them which was made in the dim and distant past.

You are quite possibly correct, but there's millions of 3.5t panel vans on the road, probably more than wagons over 3.5t ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You are quite possibly correct, but there's millions of 3.5t panel vans on the road, probably more than wagons over 3.5t ?
Maybe ... would you like to have a count up? :D

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Maybe ... would you like to have a count up? :D

Life's to short . . :) . . in any event the V.E.D. discrepancy for sub 3.51t Moho's & C.L.V.'s is still a nonsense i.m.o. & could & should be rectified by whichever pen pusher is responsible for something that defies logic :D

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Yes and no!

My understanding is that if a new MH/camper is registered from 1st April 2017 on the V5C:
  • without the CO2 info on then it will still be taxed as now, either as a PLGV or PHGV.
As the vast majority of MHs don't have the CO2 info on the V5C then they will fall into the second category.
Thanks for putting that up Minxy, that is exactly how it works (y) and most COCs don't carry the CO2 figures, so therefore can't be transferred over to the V5.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Life's to short . . :) . . in any event the V.E.D. discrepancy for sub 3.51t Moho's & C.L.V.'s is still a nonsense i.m.o. & could & should be rectified by whichever pen pusher is responsible for something that defies logic :D
There are all sorts of things that are nonsense with them.. One is having convinced the EU that 'photo renewal' is the validity of a driving licence, they then state on there own site that 'licences are valid until age 70'.

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Yes and no!

this is correct as far as i see too...........

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
If I were in the fortunate position to be buying a new 'van after the 31st March I think I would have it written into the contract as part of the process to make the vehicle not acceptable should the dealer manage to c*ck it up and put the CO2 emissions onto the first application for vehicle tax thereby making the 'van subject to the new tax.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The problems will occur if dealers put the CO2 details on from an 'earlier' document, rather than as stipulated ONLY if it is on the final document which it may not be ...

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when someone goes to collect their MH for the first time and finds out the dealer has made an almighty b@lls up and got it registered with CO2 info on the V5C ... I'd be sorry for the new owner but by heck the dealer would be facing a hefty bill because of it!!!

I suppose it is something that anyone buying a new MH should ensure they ask about BEFORE collecting their new pride and joy.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
It's all to do with the CoC! Certificate of Conformity that the converter has to provide. Converter is not required to provide emissions figure on the CoC, so doesn't. So strictly speaking, the dealer won't have the information in any case.

OP
OP
Steely Daniel

Steely Daniel

Free Member
Mar 4, 2015
devon
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T Line 590
Exp