Vans for PVC

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Copperpot, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Copperpot

Copperpot Read Only Funster

I have many questions that I'm hoping some kind soul will answer along my journey from T5 to PVC, so my first question is why are most of the 'off the shelf' PVC done on the fiat/peaugot/citeron van? Is it so much better than the Renault/vauxhall/Nissan one or merc, vw?

Happy to hear opinions.....

2. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

I believe it is because of the deal manufacturers offer converters. I was told (unverified) that Fiat get their payment when the van is registered.

If that were true that would be a major incentive for converters.

Steve

3. Copperpot

Copperpot Read Only Funster

Ahh that would make sense I was trying to figure out why when driving up the M1 the other day most of the white van men were driving Mercs but I only saw 1 fiat or is it the same principle fleet buyers get the best deal from merc rather than it being the best van?

4. journeyman

journeyman Read Only Funster

Funny enough that thought crossed my mind on the M5 last week. They do seem to shift though and have a large load capacity, so possibly thats why whitevanman is using them.

5. happypre65

happypre65 Funster

:BigGrin:Hi,The mercedes is more money and is a much better van,thats why you see so many,less days off the road for white van man, i have a mercedes motorhome and no problems and i use it every week of the year,as we go to Spain,Holland,France,etc at least for 4 months,if not we travel in the uk on the other long weekends,all i can say is it will cost more to start with but you avoid the normal troubles as with fiat etc,also i have never paid more than £250 for a service at mercedes,loan car supplied and the fitter will come out and explain what he found or adjusted,i see you live in Yorkshire this is the place my camper was built,IH CAMPERS at ferrybridge,family run and very helpfull. regards H

• Like Like x 1
  6. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

PVC?

Pardon my ignorance, but what is PVC?

7. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

I thought it was kinky clothing used very much in the sex industry

8. Viennese

Viennese Funster

Panel Van Conversion - reason for popularity is I think also connected with the fact that thr Fiat, Peugeot and Citroen vans are essentially the same van and supposed to be all made in the same factory, so there is a wealth of knowledge about them.

There are Vauxhall, Renault and now Nissan conversions, just not as common.

Catherine

9. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi and welcome :thumb: it comes down to economics, the Fiat stable vans where made with the imput from converter s at the planning stages hence they are wide which makes a big difference to layouts available. They also give big discounts to converters, rather than the premium vans like mercs and vws.The biggest market section is for vans in the 30/40k price range so if you think about it vans basically cost the same to convert so if you buy a van at 15k as to one at 25k this allows you to get into the lower desired bigger market
    Terry

• Like Like x 1
  10. jezport

jezport Funster

Be careful about payload. After the weight of the conversion many vans don't have much payload left.

The ivecos were the best option we found.

11. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

if we were to ever convert another van, it would be the new iveco. big square and plenty of headroom. have converted a few vans over the years

12. vwalan

vwalan Funster

mind we do have to remember the new iveco,s can be 7,000kg gvw . thats along way away from basic vans .
    i wouldnt do a van .i would go for chassis cab and a box . nice n square easier to convert .

13. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

fiats have always cultivated the motor home industry mainly i think because its so big in europe little things like the handbrake being low and on the outside of the seats makes turning seat easier
    the ducato range have relatively straight sides and wide enough to get a 6 ft bed across

14. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

we found the ivecos 3.5 tonnes were the worst for carrying capacity due to the heavy chassis they are built on