Vango Air Awnings

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by martin2603, Aug 21, 2016.

1. martin2603

martin2603 Funster

Looking at these , but before making commitment can anyone out there give an honest review. Are they worth the cost, and are they much hassle to erect and take down. I have a 5 metre fiamma Awning fitted so I would be looking at the 3.6
    Thanks Guys.
    Martin

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  3. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

4. scotjimland

sorry.. I posted about Kampa Rally Air ... keep mixing these two makes up..

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Petest

Petest Funster

I had ours up over the last week. 40 odd mph winds Friday night.
    I removed the tunnel section from the Fiamma as I was worried about the strain put on it.

Free standing it was fine.

Ours is the original Kela air. My only criticism is that once attached to the Fiamma, there are elasticated ties at the top to tension the sides. It works well apart from once pulled, you end up with a loose flappy bit.

There was a guy opposite us that had a kampa rally air. He took it down in the end.
    I was impressedwith the way it bounced back to shape after almost collapsing in the wind gusts.
    I have a few vidoes of them both but they're to big to upload here.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. mowbotman

mowbotman Funster

Very good awning, I would suggest buying a 12 volt air pump,as the hand one gave me a bad back,and the 12 volt one sucks the air out as well,it is very bulky and heavy,mine is the kampa one which I think is similar, but the other makes sometimes do not have the peak sticking out above the door and when you unzip the door when it's raining the water pours in, the Kampa one does not,sewn in ground a must

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  7. martin2603

martin2603 Funster

Thanks for all the info, however I have one issue, the Kampa spec says you need 12 cm between the door top and the awning rail. I have about 6cm. to do with hab door clearance. Looking at other mh s similar to mine it varies as to which door has been fitted and whether it is hi or lo line. Mine is Hi-line.
    Has anyone had problems like this?

8. scotjimland

are we on Kampa now ? :LOL:

Just measured mine..

I fitted a rail under the pull out awning and I have 9 cm between top of door and rail .. the door rubs ever so slightly on the roof.. it is not an issue ..

At 6cm the door would certainly rub.. but you could fit an RV Awning door roller (or similar ) to stop it rubbing the roof

[​IMG]

IMG_0320.jpg

9. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

I'm liking those pop up gazebos that lots of Funsters recently purchased .

10. Petest

Petest Funster

Here's a link to a Kampa awning in strong wind. Very impressed with the way it re shapes itself.

Excuse my commentary - I was well into the vodkas.

I did pop out and offer my help taking it down (which the chap did a bit later), but I wasn't needed.

11. Minxy Girl

That's the PROBLEM with air awnings IMV they should NOT flex that much ... if you don't get them blown up sufficiently they will do that which isn't what you want! When it comes to inflatables the more rigid the better!

12. carolyn

carolyn Funster

We spent a lot of time looking at them but in the end we went for the pop up Quest shelter and are thrilled with it. We have the side covers so it will be coming to Benidorm with us. At £150 even it it only lasts a year or two we will be happy and its so easy to put up and take down. No use for sleeping in though unless you are very hardy.

• Like Like x 1
  13. scotjimland

absolutely correct..

but people forget or don't appreciate, that when they blow them up hard during the day the air is hot.. at night the air cools and contracts so the pressure drops.. the may need a bit of extra air after dark to keep them rigid.. that has been my experience..

mine was rock solid during the gale, it flexed a lot but didn't fold in .. nor should it ..

as for gazebos etc they are not awnings .. they will not stand up in gales or be any use in winter as a cloakroom.. some sites now ban them..

they have their uses but can't be compared to a proper attached awning

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Minxy Girl

SJL - I agree totally regarding having to keep the pressure up, especially once the temperature drops, but I was under the impression that you used a gauge to ensure it was correct in the first place so I suspect the one that was dancing in the wind had just been put up by 'feel' and not checked. We don't use a gauge now with our inflatable Gumotex canoes as we've had them a long time and know how much give there should be when correctly inflated but the air tubes in an awning are nothing like as tough so a gauge should be used to ensure they are not under, and especially over inflated otherwise when it gets hot during the day they could pop.

I agree totally about gazebos normally but having played with our 'new to us' Quest pop-up I should think they'll stand up to a heck of a LOT of battering from the wind however it doesn't come with any securing points on the upper corners so if anyone is intending to use it where there is the likelihood of extremely strong winds I'd suggest finding some way of attaching corner straps too just to be on the safe side, more to stop any sideways movement and prevent the Quest being damaged rather than to keep it where it is as the existing side straps should do that.

15. Minxy Girl

Double post .... stupid ruddy internet connection ... can't wait to be able to dump the land based one!

16. voyager14

voyager14 Funster

I have one for sale, send me your email address and I will send some piccy's, Don't know how to upload piccy's on here.

17. scotjimland

No gauge supplied with awning and not fitted on the hand pump .. the optional 12v two stage pump probably has a gauge..

I pump up by feel.. and, as you point out, keep an eye on it when it gets warm in case it get's too hard ;)