Vanbitz...lack of after sales support due holiday closure!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by BeeSea, Jul 30, 2015.

1. BeeSea

BeeSea Funster

We purchase a suite of accessories 6 weeks ago from Vanbitz. Our Waeco reversing camera had failed. It appears that is has been affected by water ingression (rain). After trying to continue on around the Lakes District and Scotland without an operative reversing camera we have just ended our 3 month tour of the UK prematurely!! :-(

It's not Vanbitz's fault that the Waeco reversing camera failed due to water ingress, but when I needed to initiate a warranty claim I find they have closed down and are in France. There is no contingency support for customers. I am negotiating with Waeco today but they have advised me to contact the installer!! (who, incidentally, proudly offer a years extension to manufacturer's warranty...not much help if they have "gone fishing").

Not a happy camper....PM me Eddie please.

• Like Like x 3
  2. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

A small company having there summer holiday are surely entitled to it! You are on yours so why not them? And how does a lack of a reversing camera stop you using the Motorhome?
    Get the missus out to check you back if needed,

• Like Like x 32
  3. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

I can appreciate your frustration, however as the owner of a small family business myself I can understand why @eddievanbitz chooses to close completely for 3 weeks in the summer, rather than being short staffed for weeks on end, over a long period of time.
    People seem to love dealing with family businesses, but don't seem to appreciate that they need holidays too.
    Its easy to say "arrange holiday cover" but its easier said than done, having someone in the office who does not know how the business runs. I certainly would think twice about giving the keys of my business to some stranger, whos only going to be working for 3 weeks.
    As @ivorantony said, a reversing camera is not essential. You've got mirrors, and your passenger can always hop out and watch you back if needed.
    Its annoying when things go wrong, but don't let this one thing spoil your adventure
    As the old saying goes "worse things happen at sea!"

• Like Like x 14
  4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I seriously doubt he will PM you till they are back from the annual holiday. A check on his facebook page shows he's probably under water right now with fins, wet suit and harpoon gun. I too hate business shut downs, I think both Swift and Autotrail have summer shutdowns and what a PITA they are. That said Family businesses would never get to holiday together if they stayed open. VanBitz are a very close family and they have been closing at this time to go away together for many years. I'm sure Eddie will see you right on his return.

I managed 3 years in a 34ft RV without a reversing camera, I'm sure you'll be OK when you get used to using your mirrors again (y)

• Like Like x 13
  5. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

sorry to hear of your problems, Eddie will sort it when he gets back, just unlucky your hols coincided.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

Hey Lifes a bitch huh,chill out :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Its the move to a 24 hours 365 service culture we all now expect. Round here, shops still shut Wednesday afternoons, its always catching me out :mad::mad: Here on Fun people think nothing of ringing me at 9:30pm on a Sunday evening to say they've lost a password! :D

• Like Like x 13
  8. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

Did you really end your holiday early because your reversing camera packed up?

• Like Like x 13
  9. Mr B

Mr B Funster

We are all entitled to our jollies.... It's why we go to work. Although I fully understand your woe, I'm sure that vanbitz will sort you ASAP.
    Loyal and knowledgeable staff are hard to find these days, so there decision to shut up shop will not have been taken lightly. If we lived at lot more "Sarf", they would be getting some of my hard earned as I've only viewed good points about them....

• Like Like x 2
  10. lorger

lorger Funster

I'd put money on the crap weather we ve had up here to be more of a reason than a reversing camera and maybe the missus doesn't want to get wet watching you in :)

• Like Like x 6
  11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

miserablesign_zpse6f018bc.gif

:):):)

• Like Like x 35
  12. kelv

kelv Funster Life Member

cutting your holiday short because a reversing camera is not working seems very drastic vanbitz are a top notch company in my opinion it is a good job you were not away at xmas

• Like Like x 6
  13. stephen harwood

stephen harwood Funster

Its not life threatning, eddie will sort it, chill

• Like Like x 1
  14. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

I wouldn't have aborted a holiday over a reversing camera failure, in my opinion that is a disproportionate reaction to the nature/impact of the actual issue. You can still enjoy yourself without having to look over your shoulder (hopefully)!! ;)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Old Soldier

Old Soldier Funster

I've heard it all now...to blame the lack of reversing camera as the reason to cut short your touring!! :think: What's wrong with mirrors and if really necessary help from the passenger when reversing in a tight spot?:tmi:

• Like Like x 6
  16. ukbill

ukbill Funster

i reckon this is a wind up

• Like Like x 9
  17. chaser

chaser Funster

Think it's a joke int it, never even seen a reversing camera never mind not being able to drive with out one(n):)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Old Soldier

Old Soldier Funster

Is that a wind up or got the wind up?? Whatever, had me going for a minute!!::bigsmile:

• Like Like x 1
  19. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

You've got to be joking.

But quite right to say that that service is sub-standard in the 21st century. I ran a small business and always had my mobile ready if a client had a problem, which nearly always could be sorted by phone or failing that at least they knew the score.

20. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

I can't believe you seriously cut short your holiday because your camera stopped working!
    Perhaps you should just sell up now and stay at home ,I've never had a camera but I ,like Luke Skywalker ,use the force,if I'm not feeling it I tell my wife to get off her arse and go to the rear of the van to assist
    It's a jungle out there imagine if you got a puncture or broke down,buy a tent now before a real disaster tips you over the edge!

Vlad

• Like Like x 12