Vanbitz - in depth

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DanielFord, Feb 19, 2016.

1. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

As many of you will probably have seen in my previous thread, I've been down to Vanbitz to have some 'minor' work done to the van! :whistle:

Today I had a chance to check out the roof work that was done, and I'll let you guys all see the standard of the work that is carried out by @eddievanbitz, and a little review of my experience there.

Firstly, here is the small list of things I wanted done:
    1. Solar panel fitted (largest possible)
    2. Single 100ah battery replaced with 2 x 100ah batteries.
    3. 2kw Inverter
    4. Old Dometic air conditioner removed and leak diagnosed.
    5. New Dometic air conditioner fitted.
    Now, you may not be aware, if you buy the solar from Vanbitz, you get all the necessary stuff fitted, so I also have the MPPT and battery master fitted.

So here's how my day went:
    I spent a pleasant evening on the touring site, in torrential rain, with the now predictable water pouring in through the air con panel. This time I was OK with it, I was sure that my woes would all be sorted in the morning.
    In the morning, I delivered the van to the workshop, a trip of around 100 yards!
    The workshop staff busied themselves inspecting the van, whilst I busied myself consuming the complimentary coffee.
    Around 10 minutes later the verdict was in, the aircon unit had been very poorly fitted, and in fact it was touch and go as to whether they would actually be able to get the old unit off. Let's just remind ourselves of the old unit:
    IMG_6938.JPG
    I have to say, it was the first time I have ever seen an engineer genuinely cross with someone else's incompetence!
    The workshop team once again busied themselves on my van, and I could hear the tool they use for cutting stuff off of roofs working overtime. Around 2 hours later, the old unit was off, and the worse news was delivered to me. The cause of the leak had been located, my roof had been punctured by the previous installation, and the incompetent repairs had simply exacerbated the issue, this is the picture with the unit off, including the sealant and strange dam that was built around the old unit. As James said, you've really got to wonder where they thought the water was going to go!
    IMG_6940.JPG
    A plan of action was put together, which I agreed, and since it was now lunchtime, Rosie (my dog) and I headed off in the pouring rain for a walk. Totally off topic, we ended up chancing upon the 'Flying Horse' pub, and since both me and dog were wet through, a pint and dry off time seemed in order. I heartily recommend a visit to this place, not because it is the best pub, but because the landlord looks like Nick Frost! :D
    Anyway, back on topic, the van was handed back to me for the evening, not completed, but habitable. A profuse apology was given to me in removing the old wiring, the roof paper was torn. I was being given a van that no longer leaked, am I seriously worried about a bit of torn paper! I know some strange folk would be outraged, but in the scheme of things, small fry. The reason was again, the last installer didn't correctly channel the wires, opting instead to do this (yes that conduit is glued to the ceiling):
    IMG_6944.JPG
    All I could do that night was admire the new panel! Ok I was on my own with the dog, conversation wasn't great! Here's what it looked like (you can see the small tear in the back left corner):
    12715448_10154121980326159_171968953631931896_n.jpg
    Once again, early in the morning the van was delivered to the workshop, and I busied myself depleting their coffee stocks, whilst the team completed the work. On the plus side, it was a much nicer day, so I spent the time alternating between watching the TV, and wandering around the site.
    At around four o'clock the van was given back to me, I was given a run down of all my new gadgets. The inverter is very neatly hidden away next to the batteries, under the sofa. We have a control switch to turn it on situated on the outside of that sofa. The MPPT is next to the Sargent and has LED lights on it, which I assume are very important! (y) The battery master is tucked away, and does it's thing quietly in the back ground.
    All good so far, so we handed over several pieces of silver to Lyn (in the form of plastic) and made our long journey back to Surrey, via Dorset. About 1hr 30mins into the journey, the dog is worrying for a comfort break, so we pulled over into a lay by. Dog relieved, and the opportunity was too good to pass up, inverter on, pod in coffee machine. One minute later I am sat in a layby on the A35 supping a cappuccino! How good is that?
    Eventually we arrived Dorset, and the van was put to bed, the rest of the journey completed in the car. Today, in brilliant sunshine, I got a chance to check out the roof, and wow, what a difference, here is the new air conditioner (bit of a difference in fitting methods):
    IMG_0573.JPG
    And you remember earlier on in my ramblings that I said I wanted the largest solar panel, well task accomplished I think!
    IMG_0574.JPG

So far, we are so happy, and very much indebted to the team at Vanbitz for giving us the perfect van :notworthy2:

• Like Like x 21
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Useful Useful x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Your Status aerial is facing the wrong way for travelling (y)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

This is good to read as we'll be availing ourselves of @eddievanbitz expertise in the not too distant future.

Nice to see you're happy :)

• Like Like x 4
  4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

What's the capacity of the solar panel?

5. Diesel

Diesel Read Only Funster

Looking good there and a good write up ....

Our aircon too was also fitted poorly and was only just saved when remedial work done......but damn your new looks amazing (y)

Invertor? ...since realising I can power laptops from 12v I have never seen any need for one .....it never dawned on me we could be sitting sipping a Lungo whilst wild camping if we had an invertor ....bugger :whistle:;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

150 watt :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

When we booked in originally it was only to have the inverter done, purely to sup a coffee whilst wilding. Our conversations with Eddie have been going on for months, and his work load increased with every message :D

• Like Like x 2
  8. Techno

Yes but seriously not joking, your aerial should point to the rear for travelling

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

I know, but I like it pointing forward when parked, I'm odd like that :D

• Funny Funny x 5
  10. Techno

Just testing me eh :LOL:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Diesel

Diesel Read Only Funster

How come backwards? Ours is forwards never moved it since we bought the MH?

12. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Were going in a couple of weeks for an alarm fitting (y)

• Like Like x 3
  13. Techno

Because that is what the manufacturer instructions say.
    If you caught a branch on your travels and you have the Loooooooong bit pointing forwards it provides umpteen times more leverage to rip it off your roof

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Diesel

Diesel Read Only Funster

Just seen you link @Techno ....hhmmnn ...ok ill turn it round ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Diesel

Diesel Read Only Funster

I see (y)

16. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Yes we heard that. :Eeek::rofl::rofl:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  17. campa cola

campa cola Funster

My van has never seen above 20 degrees, so no need to put a big hole in the roof then..... (y) Glad you got it sorted :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Techno

At least 8 out of 10 park it the wrong way and don't read the instructions.
    The red dot denotes the front of the aerial for the purpose of pointing at the best reception BUT it should point to the rear for travelling. So you are very much in big company :LOL:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Smith and Sharp

Smith and Sharp Funster

Great to see a detailed review....
    I will be going there when I get my van..!

They must be crap at something.? Was it the coffee..? :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Erm! Yes :D It was Nescafe instant, but hey, it's passable :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1