Vanbitz Fitting, anything near to do ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by snowdrops, Apr 28, 2016.

1. snowdrops

snowdrops Funster Life Member

It's nearly arrived, that time when we get to wake up in the mornings and not worry that the van has disappeared ! Happily we've had a cancellation spot so get it 2 weeks earlier than planned.

Decision to make now ......

Will take all day and hubby has suggested leaving here early rather than stay all night. I have booked a day of annual leave to accompany him, however ...... originally thought was near the canal so were gonna take the bikes up and cycle to Huntsworth, in laws home. Now realised not near canal and so stuck with what to do for the day. If there's not a lot, I may take the decision to cancel my leave, (hubby doesn't read motorhome fun so he'll never know the true reason :pinocchio: ) .... or if anyone has had theirs done and can recommend a nice way to spend the day I will go as planned ::bigsmile:

Info please ? :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 2
  3. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

I had a breakfast at the place where ashley dropped me off,a big fry up ,then i walked up and down the high street a bit before i went into the Museum,the museum is free and will keep you occupied for a few hours,then i went and had a coffee in Costas , i spent the last of the afternoon by walking along the river bank just behind the museum,have a good look where the smaller tributary meets the main river as it is teaming with big fish , i then went and sat down at what was the old mill pond and read a news paper ,if you like ducks takes some biscuits with you there as there are ducks wanting to be fed .All of that took me to around 4 pm .I grabbed a Mac D,s as i had no food in the MH and then headed back to eddies

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I spent the day in the pub in Taunton waiting for our van.

Not really recommended if you intend to listen to instructions from Eddie later.:)

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Lots of decent pubs in Taunton.

• Like Like x 2
  6. big bertha

big bertha Funster

We are at Eddies in a couple of weeks time. We are thinking of hiring a car or wee van as we have dogs and visiting relatives or just sit and chill in our pop up screen house. I'm not a walk around town type.

7. snowdrops

Hmmmm ! We do have a tent, wondering if it's worth taking that and chilling with books and a few walks. You've given me an idea thanks :)

8. Nigeltheparrot

Nigeltheparrot Funster

Snowdrops
    Taunton is a small county town with usual shops - Debenhams/M&S are the big ones. Plenty of pubs (2 Wetherspoons) plenty of coffee shops and of course like other towns charity shops.

The town itself has a free museum and also the cricket museum is worth a visit (if you are into cricket). They might be playing at home - worth a visit to see Trescothick and co.

Eddie's place is about 45 mins walk to town either by road or can use cycle track (15 mins) and a regular bus service(about 15 mins walk from Eddies - twice an hour) .
    You can join canal in centre of Taunton and to Huntsworth via canal is about 14 miles mostly good cycle track but couple of places are a bit muddy, couple of locks where you can get coffee/sandwiches. The route goes out into the country so a nice day out if weather fine.
    Hope this helps
    John

• Like Like x 2
  9. snowdrops

Absolutely love cricket so that's a great idea thanks. We've cycled from Huntsworth to Taunton and back before, lovely stretch, but wasn't sure how far that was from the site, sounds very do-able. Again thanks :)

10. Daveo2006

Daveo2006 Read Only Funster

I done exactly the same, the beer was appealing

• Like Like x 2
  11. snowdrops

Just explored bus routes and looks like we can get a bus into Bridgwater. Thinking may do this and pop into the Blake Museum to see father in law, (curator of museum), get a spot of lunch. Then back to see cricket museum before we head back. Very very helpful info. :dance:

12. Nigeltheparrot

Nigeltheparrot Funster

Good idea
    Bus station right in centre of Taunton get Ashley to drop you off there
    And cricket ground 5 mins from bus station
    Enjoy day

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. lorger

lorger Funster

I went to the gym on the hi street, they offer a free days pass if you tell them your just moving to the area. They have a lovely sauna, steam room and hot tub, so a nice relaxing way to waste a few hours.

• Like Like x 3
  14. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Me and the dog went for a walk into town, really long walk, but the dog needed a leg stretch. We found a really weird pub, the name of which escapes me right now. Had a pie and a pint, the funny thing is, the landlord looked exactly like Nick Frost, it was opposite a One Stop, think it was called the White Horse or some such equine related name.
    Wandering around the place was interesting, and Eddie's boys will drop you off in town if you don't fancy the walk (takes about an hour)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Goody two shoes

:D

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I do NOT believe the word gym and relax should ever be used in the same sentence!

Trust you to get it for free, I wonder if the Funsters know about your Great great Grandfather Gerry;

He invented copper wire................... fighting over a halfpenny with another Scot it seems!

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. lorger

lorger Funster

Well they did have a sign up new to the area get a free trial had to quickly Google an address so I could fill in the form :)

It's nice you mention my great great grandfather as not many of his school friends are around anymore.

• Funny Funny x 4
  18. lorger

lorger Funster

I forgot to mention the new mothers Aqua aerobic class that was on much better than daytime to :)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Hi loads to do around. There is a cycle track into the town centre, and the canal starts in the town centre

There is a bike shop very close to the canal and I cycled from Cornish Farm to the cycle shop in 18 minutes according to my computer the other day, so if you fancy a day on the canal, bring your bikes

Or, we can drop you off in town

Or, you can use our waiting area and take advantage of free drinks lol

Or, you can chill on your pitch over on the campsite, if you bring a couple of chairs, or avail yourself of one of the park benches

Loads to do and see in Taunton though

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  20. snowdrops

Bikes looking good then so think we'll do that. Be good to give them a run out, check tyres etc. Hubby cancelled the pitch as we're not staying overnight night before. Will get there really late. Tho if ok we could just pop our chairs up for a lounge in the sunshine somewhere. Thanks very much for the info, be seeing you Weds :drink: